a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bolt rope or not?

Started by Cats Paw, November 30, 2013, 03:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cats Paw

My project boat {1980 16} came with a newer set of sails. They have the bolt rope for the foot and the luff. I can deal with the foot being a bolt rope but considering having sail slugs installed for the luff. I always sailed boats that had the slug slides. I like to be able to have the sail loaded and read to hoist without the possible difficulty that the bolt rope may give on feeding into the mast slot. I have not used this system of the luff bolt but thinking it my offer some problems such as the sail spilling into the cockpit from the mast.  What are your suggestions and thoughts?

Thanks in advance,   Don

kickingbug1

originally i had a bolt rope mainsail on my 81 cp16. i never did get the hang of rolling the sail on the boom so when i bought a new sail i got one with slugs. i use a sailstop and lazyjacks of my own design. the sail is slick to raise and lower and easy to flake on the boom. i have sailed in some pretty good wind without reefing( didnt get reef points anyway) and use a roller furling jib to depower. the boltrope was a bugger most of the time.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

JBC

Slugs for me, but there are trade-offs.  I like the ease of raising/lowering the main with the slugs, but it does require fiddling with a sail stop (which sometimes slips if I tighten only with my fingers).  Actually, I use two sail stops, one below the boom to keep it from dropping all the way down the mast when lowering the main, and one to catch the slugs.

I do think the slugs might make it harder to reef if out on the water, even though I do have jiffy reefing, in case the sail stop fails.  I assume that would be also true for roller reefing the main, when equipped with slugs.  I usually reef if I really think that's necessary before leaving the dock.  I, too, use a furler on the headsail to reduce sail area.

Jett

kickingbug1

i dont use a stop below the boom, i cut a piece of pvc (the size that feed water to an icemaker) and slipped it down the slot.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

GretchenG

Quote from: kickingbug1 on November 30, 2013, 03:24:47 PM
i use a sailstop and lazyjacks of my own design. the sail is slick to raise and lower and easy to flake on the boom.

Say, kickingbug1, I'd like to install some lazyjacks too.  I had them on an old Beetle cat with a gaff rig.  But when I look at the CP16 with that triangular sail, I can't quite visualize how to do it!  I'd welcome any information, photo, or link to a description you might have posted here before.  Thanks--  Gretcheng

Pacman

I prefer bolt rope.

Once you develop the knack, it is easy to feed bolt rope into the mast when hoisting the sail.

Also, I believe that bolt rope makes a more efficient foil and allows better control over sail shape.

On larger boats I have used a feeder to guide the bolt rope into the mast but my 16 is so small I can easily feed with one hand and pull the halyard with the other.

One tip:  The sail must be luffing so there is no load on it that could cause drag as the sail is hoisted or lowered.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

atrometer

Not an expert sailor by any means, but today on my recently purchased CP 16I I hoisted the main (in my back yard).  1st time I've ever used a rope sail, but it went up very easily - easier than some other types on other boats.

skip1930

Rope horizontal.
Slides vertical with sail stops for sail and boom.

skip.

kickingbug1

gretchen, give me an e mail address and i will send you what i have     fordtruck52@yahoo

Cats Paw

The sail is now at the sail maker  "Kent Sails" Harrison Twp. Michigan  to have the slugs added on the luff. Bolt rope is on the foot and will stay. I have dealt with sail management {bolt rope on luff} on a CL 14. All of the sail spilled into the cockpit and was difficult to manage when dropping it fast. My First Mate and Wife did not care for that act. 

atrometer

Just had someone give me an older mainsail w/slugs.  Although my rope sail works fine I did notice the slug sail does drop faster and easier from the weight of the slugs.