a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C&D CANAL/UPPER CHESAPEAKE JOURNEY-INFO NEEDED

Started by Bob23, November 20, 2013, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

True words, Allen. Sometimes back in my wasted years, the voice of reason wouldv'e had to bonk me on the head with a 2x4 to get my attention! These days I have a vast supply of past stupid decisions I've made to draw from. Some might call that wisdom. Due to the positive input from some great life teachers, I've become more of a critical thinker and it really helps one when trying to stay alive in this world.
Thanks to all for the encouraging words.
Bob23

jcatkeson

Do not attempt to run the CD canal (or any canal) after dark. I crewed a little Harbor 44 rigged with radar. We started down th canal on a winter night. The radar gave use false returns and the next thing we knew we were looking at the bow of a large barge being pushed northward. Things got pretty frantic in the cockpit.

It was a very close call and could be measured in feet. You won't have a radar and oncoming vessels who do won't be able to see a C23 so as to warn them. Running canals in the dark is a bad idea anyway.

Bob23

Thanks. The plan was always to leave Salem NJ at or before dawn to allow a daylight passage through the canal. Now my plans may not include a canal passage at all but to launch the boat at a marina somewhere in the upper Chesapeake. As in much of life, the plans are subject to change.
Bob23

Craig

Bob, You might consider Harbor North Marina near Chesapeake City. It is located at the western end of the Canal on the Elk river. I kept the Seidelmann there for a number of years. Easy to get to from NJ. Cross DE Memorial, Catch Rt 40 S to Rt 213 in Elkton follow 213 to Courthouse Pt Rd just south of Chesapeake City make right and marina is at end. From Harbor North it is a short sail to Cabin John Creek which would be a nice place to spend the night after you launch. Good holding ground and very protected. Weekdays usually few if any boats overnight. Summer weekends can be busy. Many nice anchorages nicely spaced along the eastern shore as you go south.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

Thank you so much, Craig. I may take a dry run down there in the car to check it out. I'm overdue for a little road trip in the Camry Wagon.
Bob23

capt_nemo

Bob23,

A little advance recon at an unhurried pace and with a clear head can pay big dividends, my friend. This is definitely the voice of experience talking.

My most recent advance recon was a 200 mile round trip ride with wife for company to check out the ramps off Clearwater and Dunedin, FL for the 2014 Florida Get Together. Found Seminole Ramps much to my liking and got familiar with the route there and back through dense urban traffic.

In truth, there was an outstanding Quilt Shop near one of the ramps which interested my wife. Went up on a weekday and wouldn't you know it the darn thing was closed! But she enjoyed the ride and quality time together anyway. I'll have to make another trip up there soon when the Quilt shop is OPEN.

High speed travel to the upper Chesapeake and launch there sounds like a great idea. It will provide more time to cruise and explore the Chesapeake, my cruising grounds for 20 years with 4 sailboats (progressively larger) and finally a liveaboard trawler. Truly, one of the best cruising grounds in all of North America!

Oh well, time to get back to my 17' trailerable Sun Cat, trailerable homemade 12' Selway-Fisher Highlander 12, and trailerable 17' Bayliner Bow Rider  w/90HP. Always something to do.

capt_nemo

Bob23

You guys are the best...I raise my glass of Newfys Screetch in your honor. I may take the trip next weekend. Thanks,
Bob23

Bob23

Gents:
   This topic is an old one but I'm attempting to revive my dream of doing this voyage. I'm still looking for information on this sort of voyage. If you read the above posts, you'll discover that I received a lot if information for which I am grateful. Only one thing was missing: me following through! I have a tendency to let this types of fun things happen if work allows and therein lies my downfall. I'd like to do this trip next year and considering the information given me above, May might be nice or the fall. I'm leaning toward the spring as then this would be the inaugural voyage for the boat.

I have a friend who is interested in doing this trip with me so we'll see how that goes. I'm still seeking information from more people who have sailed these waters as well as what to buy in the area of current cruising guides. PeterG previously sent me some of his older ones and they seem to be still relevant.\

Thanks, gents (and ladies). Bob23

Mas

Hey Bob23,

Fall is a great time of year here on the Bay!. Warm water, warm temps, just gotta be willing if the tropics send us something to adjust timing.

Anyway No Mas is in a marina just a short kayak trip from PeterG, though he may be taking Beagle3 to a marina further up the bay. Regardless you should run this idea past everyone at the CBMWG. Otta be a bunch of info there. would love to have a 23 pack running around!

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

Bob23, I am not sure how far you intend to come down but the further the better!  LOL.

Seriously, if you are going to play around in the Chesapeake you HAVE to go to Annapolis and St. Michaels.  There are tons of other places to visit but that is a good start.

Once you get above Annapolis my experience and local knowledge drops off and I have to defer questions to my Uncle.  He owns a Catalina 34 and for the past 30 years he has been spending months on the Chesapeake Bay with his wife.  They have been up to Baltimore and those areas but I don't think he has ever left the bay.  He is a retired math professor and the oddest thing is that if I tell him I am going from one place to the other he usually knows the exact compass bearing to steer by to get there!  A lot of my knowledge has come from him.

If you ever do get to the central Bay, actually from Annapolis down, I do know of a lot of good places.  There is a nice public ramp in Solomons Island, MD that is worth a look and I have even thought of starting a trip from that point. 

It sounds like an interesting trip but, one word of caution...Once you sail the Chesapeake Bay it is hard to leave.  There is so much to see and so many cool place.

Any, an interesting thing to look out would be a show done by Maryland Public Television called "The Chesapeake Bay By Air."  They show most of the big bay places by air and it tells some history etc.  I bought it on blueray because it was so good.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

crazycarl

Hey bob, nothing set in stone with Kentucky lake.

If you'll have me, i'd love to tag along as 1st mate!

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Elk River

Bob:

There are three marinas near me on the Elk; Harbor North, Tritan and another of which the name escapes me at the moment.  If you think you can trailer launch at high tide, you can launch at our ramp where a slip would certainly be available.  Larger powerboats than your 23 launch there (we are the token sailboat; that way the neighborhood can't be sued for 'nautical discrimination'!).  We are located two miles north or upriver from where the C & D empties into the Elk River (Elkmore is even on the chart).  Something to keep in mind.

Happy New Year,

Elk River
Now the Mrs. Elk

Bob23

Heave:
   St. Michaels and Annapolis are on the list, if there is a list. Presently, this is only a dream but if it becomes reality, it will be the focus on next years sailing. I will be picking the brains of anyone who can help and you will be duly rewarded with copious amounts of PBR in cans!

Elk River

Yo, Bob:

If that is your idea of a reward, you can disregard everything I posted a few days ago...

Elk River
Now the Mrs. Elk

Bob23

Just kidding, Brad. For you, and this is just for you: Guinness!!!!