Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C&D CANAL/UPPER CHESAPEAKE JOURNEY-INFO NEEDED

Started by Bob23, November 20, 2013, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

Bob23,

As you will soon come to realize, the PLANNING, ANTICIPATING, OUTFITTING, PROVISIONING, AND DREAMING (yes dreaming) involved in passages, whether short or long, are in and of themselves most rewarding indeed.

I'm confident that whatever happens on your FIRST "cruising" adventure, it will not be long 'til your NEXT!

capt_nemo

Bob23

Yeah, I'm getting that, Don. Trouble is, it's detracting from my Christmas shopping so I need to lay off for a bit. It's hard when one gets psyched! I've already started upgrading and fixing nav lights...kinda slacked off a bit the last year or 2.
I'm thinking of dividing the planning part into as many sub-phases as is neccesary. Safety, navigation, food water and hygiene, tools and spare parts, etc...I'm sure you get the idea. More later,
Bob23

capt_nemo

You're right, concentrate on Family and Holidays for now.

After the New Year, it's a new ball game! Fresh start and exciting times.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

capt_nemo

Steady1

Bob - the Canal's not especially picturesque, just a big ditch, BUT it's kind of a kick going through for the first time.  It's such a contrast with just about anything else on the Chesapeake.  I took our 27/2 through the C&D coming-and-going on a roundtrip from VA up to Maine a couple of summers ago. 

Coming in from the Jersey / Delaware Bay side, you shouldn't have any problem timing your arrival to ride the current up to Chesapeake City.  There are a couple of shallow slips at the municipal pier that should have enough water for your 23.  There's some but not much room to anchor or you can always get a slip.  It's a tidy little town, worth a visit.  Then as mentioned, time your departure to come west on the Canal, down Elk River to the Bohemia or Sassafras and you're on your way.  Lots of lovely anchorages up there that are within an easy day sail of each other.  Also, check out Rock Hall.  It's busier than the rest of the Eastern Shore harbors we passed up there but we enjoyed it.

Fair winds!
Bill
1997 CP27/2
Mathews, VA

Bob23

Thanks, Bill:
   That's just the kind of info that I'm looking for...most helpful. I figured the C&D isn't a real tourist attraction but I kinda wanted to include it in my trip. It's not cast in concrete, though. I have given thought to a Maryland kick off point but I'm leaning toward my initial goal of sailing from NJ (home state).
   I know that sailing through the canal is prohibited but what about rowing? I've given thought to rowing the length of the canal in my guideboat sometime...might be a real trip!
   Thanks again to you and everyone who is helping me out in the initial planning stages.
Bob23

Craig

Rowing? Only if the current is with you. Can be 4-5 kts either way.  :o  Not sure that sailing is prohibited per se, however the rules of the road give ROW to larger vessels by virtue of ability to maneuver. IE:you may be under sail but for all intents and purposes you are a powered vessel.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

And, if under sail, you had better have your Engine ON and IN GEAR when those big boys pass, to stay out of their way (maneuvering as close to the shore as possible). In a narrow canal they sometimes have a tendency to SUCK you in toward them!

capt_nemo

Craig

Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

jthatcher

Hey bob.. merry christmas!    it looks like you are getting lots of very good information  about your trip next year.    it is exciting to hear that you are considering  a voyage..   since you have started this thread, I have been looking at blogs of sailors who have circumnavigated the entire DelMarVa peninsula  -  that sounds like a pretty cool trip..   

i look forward to hearing about your preparations as we head towards  spring and summer.     take care,  jt

Bob23

I do know that sailing is prohibited in the canal so of course I plan to motor. And I've learned enough to "go with the flow" as far as tidal planning is involved. But I thought it would fun to row the canal sometime, too. I see it as training for the Blackburn Challenge.
   One phase of the planning will this summer as I complete a 3 day trip somewhere...maybe into Great Bay and up the Mullica river. 
Bob23

Bob23

Still in the planning stages of this adventure and a key to success is to look forward and identify any weaknesses in the plan. I've discovered one- me! My lack of experience will work against me so I've decided to do a 3 or 4 day voyage here in my home waters as a primer for the C&D trip. I plan to sail south into Great Bay and see what can be seen.
   Many folks here have been a great encouragement to me from Billy's adventures aboard Pooka in the Sea of Cortez to JT's trip south last summer to the voyages of PeterG, Cap't Nemo, and of course Newts upcoming adventures are a great boost.
   I remember a number of years ago a woman who'll remain unamed had purchased a Flicka with big dreams of sailing the world. She had very little experience but after selling all, she set out only to be turned back and defeated after a very short time from the start. The sailing community who was following her was not very kind and I was able to communicate with her and encourage her. After all- she did make an attempt which, in my mind, was a great success after all!
   I would rather scale back and succeed at the voyage rather than succumb to too big a dream which is hard to fullfil. Nonetheless, my plans still stand.
Bob23

crazycarl

if memory serves me right, she ran into a squall in the gulf of mexico and fell and broke her wrist.

she had a lot of courage to sell her real estate business, home and all her belonging to pursue this adventure.

sad it ended the way it did, but not many are willing to go as far as she did.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

Right so you probably remember her name. Delightful woman and I'm glad I was able to get to know her a bit via email. She either broke her wrist or suffered a serious cut. She was trying to get me interested in her Flicka but it was out of my range. I think she's now a realtor in Gainsville, Fla. In checking just now, I find I still have her email adress. Maybe she'll join the ranks of Compacdom here!
Bob23

capt_nemo

Bob23,

Great idea that of a short "shakedown" cruise in home waters. It's one sure way to build confidence in one's self and your boat in preparation for "life aboard" on a longer and more challenging adventure. Afterwards, if necessary, you'll still have time to make meaningful changes to stores, equipment, boat, rig, etc. in familiar surroundings before departing on the "Big" Trip.

Once again, I sincerely wish you joy of your voyages.

capt_nemo

Eagleye

Quote from: Bob23 on March 21, 2014, 08:43:21 PM
   I would rather scale back and succeed at the voyage rather than succumb to too big a dream, which is hard to fulfill. Nonetheless, my plans still stand.
Bob23

Bob,
When we were young the "voice of reason" was but a soft whisper, but with experience and wisdom that voice has become a shouting outcry...........

Your plan sounds rock solid and as others have been an inspiration to you, your adventure will be inspirational as well.  I know I will be watching closely.

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42