a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 16 OUTBOARD????

Started by atrometer, November 08, 2013, 12:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

What size outboard do most CP16 owners use? I'm buying one and already have a Honda 2 HP air cooled that is VERY popular on Potter 15s and quite a few 19s - Is that enough?  No need to flush and about 20+ MPGs makes me want to use it.

nies

Sounds like you have already made your mind up, try your motor and if it works for you ,great.........more hp depends where you use your boat, small inland lake not many horses needed, but in a larger body of water during heavy weather and seas more horses is nice to have.........nies

atrometer

Minds not made up yet.  I have option for 2 motors that come with the boat; a 2.5 hp and a 7 hp (or even a 15 hp.

Jason

Hi.  I went with a 4hp Yamaha long shaft. I like the forward/reverse feature (which was harder to find on smaller motors) and I wouldn't want to go bigger due to weight concerns.  Want to keep from having too much weight hanging on the stern and also I take it off for trailering and the 4hp is heavy enough.  For my needs, I've been happy with it.  Jason
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

nies

When merc was phasing out 5 hp two cycle I purchased a brand new one to replace my older 5 hp two cycle which I now have for a back up........had purschased a new 5hp frour stroke merc, but did not care for the extra weight and maintance, gave it my son to put next to the 200hp merc on the back of his Lund fishing boat for motor trolling..............he was happy and Dad was poorer......................I have own a lot of small motors,but the two cycle 5 hp merc is the best I have ever used......................nies

jb

also went from the Potter to the CP 16 with the Honda 2 HP and had doubts about having adequate power. So far so good after 1 season !

Sometimes the river, where the boat is moored, has strong currents and headwinds, motor has been surprisingly adequate. Only issue for me is the that the 20 inch shaft in the up position will bounce around on the top of the waves when the winds pickup and boat has a moderate heel.

skip1930

" What size outboard do most CP16 owners use? "

Well, some where between 2-1/2 hp to 4 hp. A long shaft would be O.K..
Try to find a FWD-N-REV gear box.
If not a gear box, than an engine that can be spun 360 degrees. Will have an internal fuel tank.
A 360 degree engine negates the use of a remote fuel tank as the fuel hose becomes wound-up.
I prefer a two cycle but they are not sold anymore. So your stuck with a four cycle?

Read what Bob Burgess [Handbook for Trailer Sailors] has to say about O/B's for a CP-16.

skip.

atrometer

Thank you ALL very much for your wise and sage advice.  Sounds like I should not get any motor WITH the boat and try the 2 HP Honda.  If it doesn't do the job, then go with a 4/5 hp.

skip1930

I use a 5 hp on my CP.19 and it pushes past calculated hull speed in calm, windless water.
2-1/2 to 4 hp may be the best range.

skip.

MHardy

I have the Honda 2hp short shaft on my 16. No complaints, other than having to "spin" it for reverse. But anything with a reverse gear that I have seen would be too heavy for the boat.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

mattman

Hey Honda 2.2 hp guys, I looked at the 2.2  and the mechanic at the Honda shop said that the head is air-cooled but there is still an impeller pumping water for the lower exhaust unit.  I went down the road and bought a Tohatsu 3.5 seeing I would be replacing impellers anyway. Was this guy right, is there an impeller????

Bob23

I have heard that, Matt. I used to own a Tohatsu 3.5 with reverse, salt water edition. Great motor even after being submerged in salt water after a  capsize in my old Seapearl 21 that I'd rather forget. I soaked it in fresh water, took it to my marine mechanic and it was good as gold the next day. It never missed a beat.

Bob23

skip1930

Reminds me of a funny story. I dropped my 5 hp 2-cycle Mercury into the water by the boat ramp [I know. Doult!]
It has an internal and external fuel tank.

Reaching up to my armpits to pull it out I placed it in my folded down seats in my Expedition.
Curious to see if it had hydraulic lock, I pulled the string once easily and the son`O gun started up! Laying down!

In a panic I pulled the red shut off lanyard. I guess the engine was fine.

skip.

nies

Similar story this fall, had my 5hp 2 cycle winterized and I put it on the motor stand in the garage, wanted to shift it out of gear and it did not want to shift so I pulled on the cord, WOW ,it started .........can not believe how long it took to find red button, motor guy says no problem as the fogger it really oil mist.......would not want to run very long though...........nies

jb

have a question about an impeller in your Honda 2 HP motor etc..

have the parts man at Honda run your engine # through his computer. Some 2 HP motors have impeller and others don't. I have a 2010 2 HP, no impeller!

j