a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Size of mast and boom for 1981 ComPac 16

Started by dontpanic, October 02, 2013, 03:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

Hello all: I just want to verify that the mast and boom are the correct ones for my 1981 ComPac 16.  I thought I should check since a couple of years ago I bought an old AMF Puffer.  The sails just never seem to fit right, so I did some checking and found out that someone had replaced the original boom with one that was a good 9" too short.  Bought a new boom and then the sails had the proper shape.

Anyway, the mast I got with my new 81 ComPac 16 is 2.1"x2.8" by 17' long (not including the sheeve casting at the top)

The boom is 1.75"x2.75"x8'6"long.

Can anyone out there verify that these are the correct spars for this boat?

Thanks

carry-on

Lengths sound correct. Suggest you call Dwyer Mast Co. at 203-484-0419. If no help from Dwyer or to double check call Hutchins , 727-443-4408, and give them your hull number.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

dontpanic

carry-on: thanks, good advice. I'll give Hutchins a call.

MKBLK

Don't Panic: I just measured Pegasus' (1981 CP16) spars and the mast is 17' (without the casting) and the boom is 8'6".

The Mains'l is 182 x 92 x 204
Jib #1 is 140 x 76 x 137
Jib #2 is 158 x 94 x 137

Hope this helps.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

dontpanic

Marty: Thanks, looks like I have the right spars.  Thanks for the sail dimensions.  I lay them out tomorrow and measure.

Don't Panic

atrometer

VERY CONFUSING!!   My mast measures 17' as stated (1977 CP 16).  My "P" measurement is 182" as stated.  BUT ALL the specs I see says P is 16.25' (195").  Did some models have a shorter mast??  Talked with North Sails in St Pete and they say they've sold a BUNCH at 16.25 AND THEY ALWAYS COME AND MEASURE THE BOAT PRIOR TO THE ORDER!   ??????????????

mattman

Atrometer, I have an 85 and Doyle built sails last summer for me P=16.5 and I did the measurement. Where does your boom sit compared to the sail gate on the mast and where did you get the 182" from? Curious. Matt.

atrometer

Quote from: mattman on February 24, 2014, 05:07:17 PM
Atrometer, I have an 85 and Doyle built sails last summer for me P=16.5 and I did the measurement. Where does your boom sit compared to the sail gate on the mast and where did you get the 182" from? Curious. Matt.

The top of the boom is 5" below the gate.  I measured the sail, measured the track with boom down, measured taping measuring tape to th halyard and raised it, AND searched this site and found 182- 183" (15.25). 

MaritimeElevation

P=16.25' seems to be the measurement listed in all of the databases. When I contacted Hutchins back in Nov 2012, Gerry gave me P=15.35' for the MK-I. See the thread: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=42.0

Just a heads up that measuring an old sail will not give an accurate P measurement as the bolt rope shrinks over time, shortening the sail measurement when it is not set and under luff tension from the halyard.
'81 CP-16 #1385

atrometer

Glad to see that came right from Gerry!  Thought I didn't know how to read a measuring tape.  Did have an interesting conversation with a sail maker though.  He had listed 16.25' and I wanted to price a 15.25' - he said it would be the same (9/10 square foot less material for the same price??).  Asked him if 17.25' would also be the same - he said no  (Precision Sails). Thanks for the info!

carry-on

If you have any plans to add a Bimini, I think a 16.25 luff is too long.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886