a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

GPS/Chartplotter

Started by Banana Cakes, October 02, 2013, 12:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana Cakes

Looking for a nice GPS/Chartplotter, what is everyone using or might be selling... There are so many of them, but I plan on doing some coastal sailing and eventually Bahamas. So any help would be awesome, I hate getting lost

brackish

I'm using this and like it.  I also got a swing out mount to put it on so it can stay in the cabin but swing into the companionway when I need to use it.  All the charts you mentioned are preloaded.

http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/40649.html

Bob23

Brack:
   Do you have the fish finder/depth option? Is the transducer one that bonds to the inside of the hull? My old Garmin stopped working this summer so I'm looking to move up; this thread is very good timing. Like Eric, I hate getting lost and running aground.
Bob23

skip1930

Raytheon-Ray marine- 435i chart plotter.
The unit has an internal antenna. All self contained.

skip.

skip1930

One might consider some additional storage space.

skip.

Banana Cakes

Quote from: brackish on October 02, 2013, 08:17:58 AM
I'm using this and like it.  I also got a swing out mount to put it on so it can stay in the cabin but swing into the companionway when I need to use it.  All the charts you mentioned are preloaded.

http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/40649.html

So far this is in the top 5 of my choices, but I also found this on eBay.  What do you guys think..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raymarine-A65-GPS-Receiver-/271288693020

skip1930

Beware ... see that 'Mushroom'? Just another thing sticking up to get in the way.
And to run yet another wire.
And to put yet another hole in the fiberglass somewhere.
And some thing to snag a line on.
And something to break off.

But it's up to you.

skip.

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on October 02, 2013, 06:25:10 PM
Brack:
  Do you have the fish finder/depth option? Is the transducer one that bonds to the inside of the hull? My old Garmin stopped working this summer so I'm looking to move up; this thread is very good timing. Like Eric, I hate getting lost and running aground.
Bob23

No Bob, I don't have it connected to a transducer for fish finder or depth.  I already had a Raymarine depth speed log.  Thing is the charts show depth so you can anticipate.  I've found that to be more important.  If you only have depth, generally you are in trouble by the time your transducer connected finder lets you know you are in trouble.  Where I've found it to be important is when I'm in unfamiliar water and weaving my way through shoals.  It will show the deeper routes and the depth finder just verifies that the chart was right.

my Ram mounted setup with the Admiral doing bar duty. ;D

Banana Cakes

Hey Brackish, I really like your setup! what kind of antenna is required for your GPS?

brackish

Quote from: Banana Cakes on October 02, 2013, 09:09:54 PM
Hey Brackish, I really like your setup! what kind of antenna is required for your GPS?

That unit has an internal antenna.  It is a SH CP180I the predecessor to the SH CP190I.  The "I" stands for internal.  They also sell the same unit that has an external antenna.  The change from the 180 t0 190 was because you no longer have to buy your charts, they are preloaded as I understand it. 

HideAway

We bought a Garmin GPSmap 640 for our spring cruise.  It has road maps and charts for the us.  We like to camp and sail so it seemed a good idea.   Like anything that tries to do two things at once there are some issues.  For instance it thinks we are in down town Tampa at the moment- ok now I'm home but by boat which would be a real neat trick especially since I just walked across the room at 3.2 kn by the way.

over all though it works well.  I'm still not used to the touch screen - it allows a bigger screen but if you touch it  any where it goes to another screen.  Maybe they all do that but I find it annoying.  I thought I could chart a course from my living room but no - it starts the course where ever it is and bases everything only on that location.  Maybe they all do that too.  It was a great aide and its strength is plotting a course underway and seeing ahead.  I will eventually post a video but am having problems editing the cussing.   You can link all kinds of expensive stuff to it so much so that I'm not sure if you could actually sail.  I mounted it on a home made swing arm with my unlinked depth finder.

its worth checking out if you need both maps and charts - the accuracy is amazing as is all the info.  At one point we were so engrossed in the electronics that only the screams of two very angry Ospreys saved us from crashing into their home which was atop a metal marker -- We found the paper chart just as valuable as the gps and the depth finder was even more important.  the gps is a welcome additional navigation tool.  I would never rely on it alone.   I still see those ospreys eyes and that marker waaaaaay too close for comfort  Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

wes

On my Garmin 546, the solution to the charting-a-course-from-the-living-room problem is to turn on "simulation mode" from the setup menu. Simulation Mode = ON should really be called "GPS receiver off." Then you can plot courses from any starting point.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Banana Cakes

Quote from: skip1930 on October 02, 2013, 07:33:25 PM
Beware ... see that 'Mushroom'? Just another thing sticking up to get in the way.
And to run yet another wire.
And to put yet another hole in the fiberglass somewhere.
And some thing to snag a line on.
And something to break off.

But it's up to you.

skip.

Thanks for the heads up on that! You're absolutely right about cluttering the stern pulpit.  I am going to look for the Internal options on the GPS/Chartploters

HideAway

QuoteOn my Garmin 546, the solution to the charting-a-course-from-the-living-room problem is to turn on "simulation mode" from the setup menu. Simulation Mode = ON should really be called "GPS receiver off." Then you can plot courses from any starting point.

Thanks for the tip Wes - I'll try it.  We were navigating via gps to my son's house in Tampa this last weekend. Testing the road portion of the gps and growing more upset with it  as it was taking us the long way to our destination - all sorts of back streets instead of the major roads.  I was getting upset enough to mention it to the lady in the gps when all of a sudden we made a right and found ourselves at a beautiful park right on the Hillsborough River--- All is forgiven - A gps that knows how to lead a sailor to water is ok in my book!  Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/