a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Quick Hatchboard Dashboard

Started by Spartan, October 01, 2013, 10:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Last weekend I made a quick and dirty hatchboard dashboard from a 4' x 12" sheet of 1/4" ply.  I traced the sides of my existing hatchboard to make two layers then screwed to some scrap 3/4" ply on the back to hold it all together.  Then added a couple of caddies that I had removed the suction cups.  (Those suction cups just didn't work on my boat).
In the middle is a belt clip for an Iphone otterbox with the clip part removed. That left a recessed hole which I fitted with a washer and screwed in as well.

I love that now I have access to VHF radio, GPS etc with stuff clanking around the cockpit.  I need to trim the top straight and paint to finish off.
See pictures below.  I'll likely make another maybe 18" high so I can attach my compass as well and battery powered speakers as well.
Cheers
Tom

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Salty19

An interesting idea, thought about that idea for GPS, phone apps, radio and maybe an iPod player/speaker.

Thanks for sharing, might do something similar.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Spartan

Salty,

I have a battery powered set of sport speakers that zipper open for an Ipod that I will hang from a hook on the board, I'm going to try industrial velcro for my Garmin Etrex Legend and tie off to the caddie just in case.  My handheld VHF Radio fits in the caddie.  I also have a very expensive compass I enherited years ago that I will make a holder/straps for (it doubles as a hand held).  I may need to move the caddies and phone hold around to accomodate all of it.

Cheers
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Spartan

Continued evolution continues,

I have had this Silva compass since my first CP-16 in 1999, today I broke out the table saw and made a mount for it on the new hatch board.

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Rdejter

First time poster but I've had my Suncat for two years now. I sail on the Chesapeake mostly out of Sandy Point State Park. Here's my latest modification; a drink holder, speaker holder. http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Rdejter/media/IMAG0408_zps4bb7ae30.jpg.html