a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Asymmetrical Spinnaker on the 25?

Started by citjet, September 22, 2013, 10:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citjet

Has anyone used an asymmetrical spinnaker on the 25?  Have the dimensions?  I just purchased a 25 last month and it came with a 110 headsail which is just not enough in light air to keep you moving.

Thanks,

Daniel

skip1930

My CP-19 came with a 155% headsail [55% astern of the centerline of the mast] and I purchased from SailEast at the All Sail Boat Show in Chicago, an asymmetrical, star-cut, spinnaker.

Can't see a lot of difference in performance in light air.

skip.

Salty19

Just a thought...while you're doing research look into a drifter too.  They are a bit easier to deploy and tack, which means you'll be tempted to actually use it.  And they can be deployed single handed.

Go to our main page, then click on the seach window.  Search for 'drifter', you'll see Shawn and my posts on the topic.
I would at least encourage to consider it over the spinnaker to vet out your options.

There are not a lot of CP25 owners on here.  Might want to reach out to sailing loft or Com-pac for dimensions.

I see a noticeable light air improvement using a 170% low clew drifter..there is no question about it.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

brackish

Agree with Salty.  If you are just trying to get better light air performance, then a lighter cloth, larger headsail such as a drifter that can be used on all points of sail might be a better choice.  I bought an asymmetrical for my 23 because I do a lot of sailing on my lake from broad reach to straight down wind.  Assy excels in those conditions but is limited in how close you can reach with it.

Salty19

Brackish raises a good point which I failed to mention..drifters will point better than spinnakers making them more versatile.

Shawns' drifter is hank on, if memory serves.  Mine is a flying sail attached within the foretriangle as I'm using a furler and wanted to be able to leave the genoa or jib on the furler to avoid the takedown/storage/rerigging hastles.  Works for me, but it does not point as high as the unfurled 110 or 140.

I suppose a genoa with lighter fabric might actually be the right thing to try unless you're expecting frequent low-wind situations.  Most Com-pacs need a genoa..I consider it a working sail on our 19, and I thought I read that CP25's have a smaller sail plan than one might expect them to. 

Then again I don't know if you're using a furler and what type it is...some of them are harder to change out sails than others, or you might not want to, making a flying drifter or spinnaker more appealing??
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603