a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trolling motor

Started by hinmo, September 19, 2013, 06:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinmo

I am seriously considering an electric trolling motor for my "new" CP16. Does anyone else use one? How much thrust do you need (or are they measured in hp?) wheres the battery go? Is it a full sized 24 Group or bigger? How do you maintain charge? Solar sheet/panel?

I have 3 small gas outboards that would work on the boat....but they are in constant (and i mean constant) need of carb cleaning due to ethanol.

Seriously thinking electric motor of some sort is the way to go.

Opinions?

skip1930

For the short haul, ie, to the dock, off the dock, it's fine to burn electrons.
And safe as long as the hydrogen is vented off the battery. Discharging a wet cell = hydrogen gas.

For the long haul, like being caught off shore in a storm and in big wind. I'd burn gas.
Extends the need to steer off shore to keep from grounding while the blow goes by ... that's a good thing.

your choice. skip.

Cevin c Taylor

Quote from: hinmo on September 19, 2013, 06:30:59 AM
I am seriously considering an electric trolling motor for my "new" CP16. Does anyone else use one? How much thrust do you need (or are they measured in hp?) wheres the battery go? Is it a full sized 24 Group or bigger? How do you maintain charge? Solar sheet/panel?

I have 3 small gas outboards that would work on the boat....but they are in constant (and i mean constant) need of carb cleaning due to ethanol.

Seriously thinking electric motor of some sort is the way to go.

Opinions?

I have used a 32 lb thrust Motorguide (I think that's the brand) trolling motor on my '83 CP16.  It is fine for calm water, and going against a light wind.  I put the battery up in the peak of the bow, and I run a heavy duty cable back through the companionway while using the motor, and then put it back in the cabin while sailing.  Once as a test I went about 1.25 miles on it; I believe it would have gone a lot longer.  Once you get the heavy boat going forward, with inertia it doesn't take a lot of power to keep it moving.  I tried it once going into strong wind (15-20 mph), and with two 190 lb guys in the cockpit, the motor could not keep the bow into the wind.  One of us had to go forward with a paddle to keep the bow pointing into the wind.  If I go on the nearby lake (3 mi long by 1 mi wide), I usually take it rather than the 4.5 hp gas outboard.  Hope this helps.

hinmo

Thanks all - how do you keep your battery charged?

JTMeissner

Here's a link to a past discussion: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4852.msg33871#msg33871

Many other discussions about trolling motors for the CP-16.  I like it, and the battery I have lasts a long weekend on a charge (longer probably, only three days of sailing on a 4-day).  40 lbs of thrust and I'm at hull speed; forward, reverse, no issues.  Battery up in front of compression post, power cable up through lazerette.  I charge it in camper/cabin on last night, take it home to recharge if long time before returning to the lake.

Can it fight the wind? Not really, but I'm much better now at reefing and using the free power.  No current on the reservoir unless the dam breaks; would probably just have to ride out that contingency.  ;D

-Justin

hinmo

Thx Justin - I am intrigued by the potential of an electric, but where I sail (salt water, decent winds)  I will encounter 15kts every day, and may be motoring against a partial headwind. It the boat can point at all, everything will be fine, if not, I might need aux power....

I really, REALLY hate the ethanol issue, like I said, I have 3 motors I rotate to keep one running (and one is only 2 years old and needs a new carb!!)

Salty19

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

hinmo,

Once you get those carbs clean, bite the bullet and USE ONLY NON-ETHANOL FUEL in your outboards. You probably don't use all that much fuel anyway, so the extra expense shouldn't be too great. And yes, I use only non-ethanol fuel in my YAMAHA 4 HP 4-stroke on my Sun Cat. I also treat every ounce of fuel in my fuel tank with Sta-Bil (stabilizer). No problems!

Nevertheless, I share your intrigue with electric motors and use a 45 pound thrust Motor Guide Trolling Motor on my 12' homemade sailboat to get out and in marked channels to deeper water!

capt_nemo

hinmo

Nemo - where do you get non-E fuel?

Salty - $$$ is an issue

skip1930

"  Once you get the heavy boat going forward, with inertia it doesn't take a lot of power to keep it moving. "

None E~fuel is British Petrolium [BP] premium gasoline.

Hummm? If we are talking about a car, O.K. yes. Automatic transmissions are used to keep the speed up and inertia up.

But there is a reason why an automatic or manual transmission does not work on boats. Yachting magazine had an article on exactly why won't work. I can't find that article.
More speed, more power needed. A constant speed ... a constant power input needed. It's a straight line graph ... I think.

skip.

"  is only 2 years old and needs a new carb!!) " You don't need a NEW carb. You need new neoprene rubber components with in the carb and/or fuel pump.  [Most likely]

Craig

We have a petroleum co. here in Punta Gorda that sells non-ethanol gas. Check local marinas to see if they sell non-ethanol marine gas.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

hinmo,

In our area several Marathon stations and some Citgo stations sell what is called Rec 90 fuel which is ethanol free. I believe this is Recreational 90 fuel and can be found at stations near boating areas. Just look and ask around, you might be quite surprised. Lots of trailerable boats fill their tanks at these stations for two reasons. One, it is cheaper than the fuel at marinas on the water. And two, it is ethanol-free and folks want to avoid potential damage to their outboards despite the increased cost per gallon.

Not only do I use ethanol-free fuel in my fuel sipping YAMAHA 4 HP on the Sun Cat, but I also fill my 20 gallon tank on the 17 1/2' Bayliner Bow Rider with Rec 90 fuel to quench the greater thirst of the Mercury 90 HP outboard kicker!

Happy hunting!

capt_nemo

Citroen/Dave

In Lynchburg, Virginia, we have at least three gas stations that have ethanol-free high octane gasoline.  One even sells a mid grade.  Cost of fuel is irrelevant when you gasoline power a small sailboat.

All brands of gasoline have a legal minimum detergent package in their products.  "Top Tier"  (do a Google search) brands like Exxon and BP have two times the legal minimum.  High Octane Shell brand has over 4 times the legal minimum.  First effort to get a stumbling auto engine to run smoothly is to run two or three tanks of top grade Shell through the car. [I have no commercial interests in Exxon, BP, or Shell.]

Citroen/Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

hinmo

C/Dave - not worried about price of gas, was referring to above post about cost of a electric motor.....I'd pay $20/gal fro some e-free fuel

Bob23

C'mon Dave: We all know your real name is Dave Shell!
Thanks for the info on high detergent gasolines...very informative...probably not a bad idea to run some of that high end Shell stuff through the car and truck every once in a while.
Bob23