a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New here, have a ?

Started by Onehandsailor, September 12, 2013, 05:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onehandsailor

Just got a Compac 16  and tried to introduce myself, posted last night over at the lounge threads and this morning post
was gone, just wondering, was it a computer glitch or was it deleted?

Bob23

Who knows? Could be one of those mysteries that will go unsolved. Anyway, welcome to the premier sailing site in the universe. Tell us about yourself, your 16 and where you sail. I myself have the 16's bigger sister- a 1985 23/2 but I love the simplicity of the 16. Your move!
Bob23 in NJ

Onehandsailor

Quote from: Bob23 on September 12, 2013, 06:57:47 PM
Who knows? Could be one of those mysteries that will go unsolved. Anyway, welcome to the premier sailing site in the universe. Tell us about yourself, your 16 and where you sail. I myself have the 16's bigger sister- a 1985 23/2 but I love the simplicity of the 16. Your move!
Bob23 in NJ

Thanks much Bob. I'm a long time sailor and since 2002 a one hand sailor due to mutilating injury and  ulnar nerve damage on left. Could still sail thanks to the best help ever, my two daughters now off to college. I recently sold my larger boat as I could no longer sail it by my self, and even worst with recent lower spinal surgery, doing well..
To make the story short, I showed up at home with this cute little 16 and it took me about 10 min to convince wife that it was small enough for me us to do a little sailing, thank god she became supportive, because my other option was flying a kite.
I sail Key largo and Florida bay and north to 10,000 island.
Here is the last sunset photo I took anchored north side of Black water sound the Bogies.
Cloud looks like dude blowing fire.

Salty19

Welcome to the forum.  It must of been a computer glitch...but I do recall reading your intro.  There is a slight chance one of us admins accidentally deleted it clicking on the wrong button or what have you.  This was certainly not the intent. Sorry that happened to you.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

Onehandsailor, welcome aboard. Now owning a CP-16 you may wish to secure a copy of
Handbook of Trailer Sailing, Paperback – June 1, 1992, by Robert F. Burgess.

Amazon says-->" Increasing competition for mooring and dock space has driven the price of their favorite sport out of reach for far too many sailors. The solution? Downsizing to an affordable boat stored between sails on a trailer. Not only is the boat safe and convenient, but cruising options expand dramatically--the whole continent becomes available at 55 miles per hour dead to windward. Whether you're a new sailor just starting out or an old hand choosing the '90s phenomenon of "downshifting," this completely revised and updated edition of Bob Burgess's Handbook of Trailer Sailing, first published in 1984 and widely acclaimed as the trailer sailor's bible, will chart your whole course. There's detailed information on finding your dream boat, outfitting and setting up, trailers and trailering, elementary and advanced sailing, anchoring, customizing for comfort, taking care of your outboard motor, sail camping, cruise planning, and more. "

Reading this book covers the History of Hutchin's boat building company with insight on what created our Com-Pacs and who was the designers of these fun little boats.

Onehandsailor

Quote from: skip1930 on September 13, 2013, 10:08:50 AM
Onehandsailor, welcome aboard. Now owning a CP-16 you may wish to secure a copy of
Handbook of Trailer Sailing, Paperback – June 1, 1992, by Robert F. Burgess.

Amazon says-->" Increasing competition for mooring and dock space has driven the price of their favorite sport out of reach for far too many sailors. The solution? Downsizing to an affordable boat stored between sails on a trailer. Not only is the boat safe and convenient, but cruising options expand dramatically--the whole continent becomes available at 55 miles per hour dead to windward. Whether you're a new sailor just starting out or an old hand choosing the '90s phenomenon of "downshifting," this completely revised and updated edition of Bob Burgess's Handbook of Trailer Sailing, first published in 1984 and widely acclaimed as the trailer sailor's bible, will chart your whole course. There's detailed information on finding your dream boat, outfitting and setting up, trailers and trailering, elementary and advanced sailing, anchoring, customizing for comfort, taking care of your outboard motor, sail camping, cruise planning, and more. "

I might add this book covers the History of Hutchin's boat building company that created our Com-Pacs and who was the designers of these fun little boats.

Great suggestion, will order a copy, thanks much.

Onehandsailor

Quote from: Salty19 on September 12, 2013, 09:47:18 PM
Welcome to the forum.  It must of been a computer glitch...but I do recall reading your intro.  There is a slight chance one of us admins accidentally deleted it clicking on the wrong button or what have you.  This was certainly not the intent. Sorry that happened to you.
Thanks much Salty. ;)

capt_nemo

Welcome aboard.

Glad that despite handicap you can still enjoy sailing.

I can still distinctly remember lying on the table many years ago with a Surgeon about to work on my right hand with cut off middle finger and mangled tip of forefinger (don't ask, stupid mistake).

Being right handed, and deep into sailing a large boat at that time, the first thing I asked him was "Will I still be able to crank a sailboat winch?".

Been sailing ever since, thank God!

capt_nemo

mattman

Nice pic, I have the 10,000 islands chart on my office wall to keep me reminded of the dream during my daily toil. Hope you enjoy the 16.
Happy sailing.

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"