Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Installing ABS storage box in cockpit

Started by Cevin c Taylor, August 29, 2013, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cevin c Taylor

Hello:
After a recent three day trip in my '83 CP16, I realized I wished I had more storage in the cockpit.  I was continually fishing around for things in the cabin, and if I left things (e.g., sunscreen bottle) in the cockpit, they would roll around or otherwise be in the way.  I got to looking at storage solutions.  Here's something I found:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/271206051329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It says it's made of "Made of acrylic capped ABS for excellent UV protection."  I was thinking of putting it in the cockpit foot well, on the vertical part that connects the cockpit floor with the bench seat.  Any issues with joining ABS and fiberglass?  My boat is not exposed to UV for long periods - it lives on a trailer under a tarp when not in use.  I just want to be sure before spending the $ and cutting into the boat.

NateD

There shouldn't be any UV issues or problems mounting that to fiberglass, that is what it is designed to do. I see the utility, but that seems like a lot of money for what the thing does. Once it is in place and you go out for a sail, will the little cubby hole hold all of the things you might possibly want to grab while sailing? It's only going to be useful if you remember to put everything you might want into it before you actually need the thing. Otherwise it might be better to install some shelving/bins in the cabin so that you can keep everything organized and easily found when you need it.

I know some real hardcore folks who would caution about cutting a hole in the lower part of the cockpit as it could be a breaching point if you get a bunch of water in the cockpit (either a knockdown or a wave over the coaming). But if you use a good sealant with the storage box you linked to, I think it would be just fine.

It looks like Defender.com carries them (I'm sure West Marine does too) for about the same price and shipping would probably be cheaper.

skip1930

The part of this 'box' that sticks into the interior of the boat ... well, takes up space inside the hull. Space where you say you stuff stuff in.
So figure out if this space can be sacrificed.

IS THERE ROOM?

skip.

kahpho

My preferred "easy reach" storage is a bucket. Low tech... maybe, but it works for me. I can throw sunscreen, gloves, water bottle, dock line, pretty much whatever in it and it stays corralled but still readily available. And the bucket is useful for other things too. Mine is a heavy duty one purchased at a farm supply store. Way stronger then the usual department store model and you get to pick a color!

mel

edit: Sorry, none of this answered any of your question. I'll just but out now.
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

skip1930

I have a plastic milk crate under the port settee hatch on my CP-19 for small stuff.

skip.

Bob23

Wolv:
   I made a similiar box out of scrape Azek and installed it on the starboard side of the cockpit. While not initially intended for storage, it houses a red LED light to illumine the cockpit at night. It also has the female plug for my remote mic for the Icom VHF radio. I routed small grooves in the inside edges and installed a sliding plexiglass cover. It's a great place to stash your shades or sunblock. Very handy.
Bob23

ShellDave

I think that's a great idea! Gets me thinking about getting two (one each side). I love the idea to place small items h2o, gps, speaker, etc. sometimes I want things put away but within reach. I just need to get past cutting two holes in the boat  ???  ???

nies

I worry about the weaking of the structure, I could not bring myself to the cutting of a hole that big , but thats just me , and once its cut there is no going back.....nies

capt_nemo

A secure place to store "small stuff" within easy reach of the cockpit is sought by all of us who spend time on the water with our boat at various angles from the horizontal.

The nagging question is always, PERMANENT or TEMPORARY fixture?

When I designed the Starboard Storage Module for my Sun Cat I remembered the requirement for a place to store "small stuff" within reach of the cockpit. The answer was the set of small secure storage shelves mounted on the side of the module within easy reach of the cockpit. Here is a pic of the very useful shelves.

I'm in the process of designing a "bolt-on" wheel steering system to replace the tiller, just for the heck of it. And, yes, I'm going to include places to store "small stuff" in the wheel shaft housing box. These places will be conveniently located within arm's reach of a seated helmsman and worth their weight in gold!

capt_nemo

Cevin c Taylor

Thanks for the responses.   Skip - I'm not too worried about the loss of space since the rear of the space under the benches is an area I dont seem to use much, even on a recent 3 day camping trip.  The area is too hard to access from the lazarette, and also from the cabin.  My bigger concern is cutting into the boat.  Once that's done, there is no turning back,  so I want to be sure before doing it.  Capt Nemo - great looking shelves!  I don't have your woodworking skills,  but I might be able to come up with something that could work.

nies

I have plastic tubs sized to fit the space for misc. storage and use  my ext. boat hook to retrieve the farrest one  as needed.................they are very low cost,would try that before cutting a hole...................nies

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Spartan

Vipersdad I like those caddies but I have yet to find one where the suction cups hold well.  I've tried making sure bulkheads were clean, with moisture, w/out moisture, nothing seems to work consistently.  Has anyone had success with any particular brand?  I think I'll be making a spare drop board for underway with shelves/containers for gear. 

Cheers
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

capt_nemo

Spartan,

Customized dropboard inserts work quite well indeed. Here's one I threw together for drink holders and Handheld GPS.

capt_nemo

nies

Great idea, it will become one of my winter projects, thanks.......nies