a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Monmouth Cove Marina in Monmouth County NJ

Started by CaptRon28, August 03, 2013, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

Is anyone familiar or knows someone who is familiar with the Monmouth Cove Marina in Port Monmouth (Monmouth County) NJ? This county owned and run marina is on a small inlet on Raritan Bay about 1/2 mile west of the Earle Navy Pier. I'm thinking of putting the boat in there for the next 2 or 3 months. My right shoulder is still in bad shape and I'm trying to avoid raising / lowering the mast whenever I take the Horizon out (off of the trailer) by myself. I'd raise the mast when I get there and lower it 3 months later.

My main concern is how fast the current runs in this inlet. Some of these inlets on Raritan Bay can get up to around 6 knots during maximum flow or ebb. There are large marshy areas behind many of them and the tidal range is about 4 to 5 feet with a lot of water moving around. This could be a problem for a 20 foot cat boat with a 10 hp diesel. The guys who work there say it's not that bad, but 98 percent of the boats there are power. Whole different scenario for a sailboat.

If I do wind up there (and I probably will), anyone in Central Jersey who wants a ride on an Horizon Cat is welcome to come along. Raritan Bay is a nice sailing area, with the NYC skyline not all that far away.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Bob23

Ron:
   I'm not familiar with that marina or inlet but if there's a 4 to 5 foot tidal range, sounds like there could be some serious knots of current. My Eldridge  is on the boat so I can't check it but Barnegat Inlet can move at what I estimate at 4 knots and the range is nowhere near 4 feet.
   If you put the boat in there, be assured that I'll be the first volunteer to crew aboard your Horizon. It really is not that far for me.
Bob23

CaptRon28

Bob -

I'm going to go back there before I sign the contract - at 3 to 4 hours after low or high tide. About half the water moves during this 2 hour period. When I kept my 40 foot Catalina in Raritan Bay at Perth Amboy, I occasionally brought the boat over to Morgan Marina on Cheesequake Creek to have the bottom cleaned, etc. The maximum current in this channel was close to 7 knots and you'd have to be crazy to try to get a sailboat in or out then. I've seen twin screw powerboats with bow thrusters get turned around. But the Morgan slips were perpendicular to and actually on the creek bank. This one is off to the side, so maneuvering may not be that bad. But motoring into a 5 knot current with a 10 hp 20 foot cat boat that can do maybe 5.5 knots?

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"