News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking for pictures of Single handed setups.

Started by Mattlikesbikes, July 15, 2013, 09:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

If any of my fellow Cp19'er out there can post a few pictures of how they have their lines routed back to the cockpit that would be great.  I am trying figure out how I would like to set up my 19 and pictures would be great. 

Thanks

Matt

MacGyver

I can get you pictures, but it is all stock...... not sure that it would help you.

Just added a line bag I made to help control line clutter.
other than that I am not sure what else I could do to make it better to single hand it.......

Only thing I am working on yet is how I come into the dock, but I have been watching the 16s come in during CLR and learned a trick, that I hope to try someday.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Mattlikesbikes

Hey Mac  thanks for the offer. I did find a few pictures the going through the CPYOA photobucket pics.
I would not mind seeing a what the line bag looks like mounted

I think what I am going to do to is put a halyard organizer under the mast tabernacle with 2 blocks leading to a deck organizer then to a rope clutch. 
I found a few pics from other boats that helped out a little.    I also want to set up a jib down haul and need to figure out the best routing with the least amount of drilling.

MacGyver

We ran 3 small harken blocks, micro size I am pretty sure, can check in the next couple of days with what gear we have in our store for the numbers, one block at the forestay, then one at each stanchion base, then up to a bullseye, into the cockpit.

1/8th inch dacron, works pretty good.

I hank on each hank onto the forestay and the downhaul. I am thinking about just hanking on the top hank, then the middle hank, then the last the next time we sail to see if it is easier per a recommendation by Sailen69 when he went with us during CLR.

I will get pics of the dhaul, and that line bag hopefully tomorrow, had to work late today and outside allday...... I am pooped.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Mattlikesbikes

I do not have lifelines so no stanchions. I plan on installing them in a few years my girls get a little older ( 2 1/2 year old and one due in October) but I guess I will be drilling into the deck for now

I do not plan on doing these projects until the fall but I am  putting together a parts list and figuring out what this is going to cost.

Billy

Mike,
for your jib downhaul you could just screw a few of these into the deck and seal with some lifecaulk.
http://www.kayarchy.com/images/01equipment/084a%20small%20closed%20fairleads.jpg
may need to reseal every few years but not a big deal.

When I do use my jib downhaul (which is hardly ever), I run the 1/8" line from the shackle at the end of the halyard through every other hank or so through a block at the bottom of the forstay and then through the supports on the base of my stanchions back to the cockpit. There is a lot of friction that way and it hardly works. But I hardly ever single hand so either me or my wife just go forward and pull the jib down. Gotta get those lifelines and stantions if you are going to have kids on board. Great safety feature, allows for an easy grab when going forward.....and they look really cool!

Once you get your stantions you could try these for your downhaul
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92500&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50045&subdeptNum=50057&classNum=50063#.UegK5FfOBFs

Here is how I have my halyards set up....

I used aluminum rivets to attach the blocks to the base of the mast, and then I did drill two holes into the deck on each side for the cheek blocks. Sealed them with life caulk about two years ago and I have not had a leak since.

The previous owner installed cam cleats right at the companionway hatch and that is how I cleat off the end of the halyards. You cannot see the cam cleats in the above picture due to the seat. But this system seems to work great for us.

Hope this helps!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Billy

Now that I think about it, I should have attached the blocks that are at the base of the mast to the tabernacle instead of directly to the mast.

That would create less of a trip hazard on the deck and give me a little more length on my halyards when stowing the mast on the bow rail. Although I do have enough length as it is.

Although how it is now, does give a better angle to pull and less 90 degree turns.

Did that make sense?

I probably have under $100 into this setup ($20 a block and caulk & rivets I already had). And another $40 or so for the cam cleats the PO installed.

skip1930

I'm thinking with a head sail furler with it's 'coil-up' line run back to a cleat on the outside of the cockpit combing and with the factory 1996 set-up [halyards run back to the rope clutches on the cabin top near the sliding hatch] as on a CP-19 and a jack stay off the stern standing rigging to support the boom without a sail, that there is very little more to do for a single handed excursion.

skip.

Salty19

I've tried to setup my boat to make life as easy as possible. I single hand often, and even when I have crew I'm still 90% single handling.

This genoa sheeting arrangement has made life so much easier when tacking and adjusting sail. No more screwing around with unwrapping the line from the winch, no more rubbing against the coaming, you can adjust the lead block while under sail (not during high wind though) if you're reefing on a furler.

But the biggest plus is no more wrapping the sheet around the cleat each time. And unwrapping/wrapping for each adjustment.  

I just tug it to tighten, snap it up to loosen, the line flies through the blocks and doesn't get caught up around the lazy winch.

A tether isn't a bad idea if you're worried about falling aboard.

A 3:1 outhaul with integral cam cleat makes it quick and easy to adjust the outhaul.  And see to the right, I cobbled up a outhaul-clew slug snap shackle for the clew..just unshackle to store the sail or to shackle it to the reefing point (no more reefing lines!!!)

A way to hold the tiller so you can do other duties is very nice to have.

Many ways to do this, I've tried a solid line wrapped around the tiller (worked OK, but you must remove to steer), a line-bungie combo (shown below, you can still steer but it doesn't hold quite as good in strong winds), the Tiller Tamer (hated it, hard to use), and now a Tiller Clutch (very nice, would recommend it). Lookup "cajun tiller tamer" for another setup.

I tied rings on each side to cleats to clip the "cruise control" as the main cleats are awfully busy places sometimes, and to make it quicker to put on and off..it also makes the tension consistent for each sail (I tested and retied the lines to dial it in, used SS wire to clamp the lines). However I think I'll just use the Tiller Clutch moving forward, we'll see.
Those rings also let you tie off another line to hold the tiller at the dock to keep wear on the pintles and bushings to a minimum.

One last thing is a bungie to hold the boat to the dock while fumbling with dock lines. I try to snap this on when approaching dock to avoid the mad scramble to stop the boat from getting away too fast.  And for leaving dock for the same reasons. It's a minor thing, but once in awhile (winds blowing boat away from dock) I'm really glad it's there.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Mattlikesbikes

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas. I think my setup will be similar to Billy's except I am going to run the lines on the same side to a rope clutch.   

I would love to get a roller furling. My 160% genoa is in really good shape and still crispy which I can use for the furling but with everything else I want to do I am not sure I can fit it in my budget at this time which is why I want to give a down haul a try first

I might try a out haul setup like Salty's or at least put a block on mine right now I have it going through the boom end.

Hey Salty what are you using  in place of the fiberglass gas tank cover.  Mine is in bad shape and I like the idea of cup holders back there.  Will a gas tank fit under that?

Bob23

Mr. Salty-man:
   Thanks for all the great info and super-sharp photos. I have a few questions: Is this the Tiller Clutch you use: http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/   
And is that a Compac approved blue plastic bucket? Looks authentic but I hear that cheap box store knockoffs have been seen around. I know you wouldn't stoop that low.....   
    I like your cajun tiller tamer arrangement. I may steal that idea for my 23 but I've been thinking about the Clutch. I agree with the Tamer...I have one and it doesn't hold a strong weather helm...and it's a bit awkward.
Thanks,
Bob23

Salty19

Hi Matt,

I'm still using the factory cover.  The cup holder with the small tray is just bolted to the gas tank cover which is hard to see. The tether pic is the forward end of the cockpit footwell (note no scuppers).   I made a cheap plywood cockpit table which I'm lifting to show the tether eye. 

I will add that a self-inflatable PFD with D rings for a tether would be wise single handling. No one will be there to get you back on board, and since many of these PFD's are comfortable, you'll actually wear it.
Bob,

I wouldn't dare use a non Com-pac approved line bucket! What do you take me for, some kind of amateur!   ;D   And shame on you for thinking this is a plastic bucket...it's of course made from Com-pac unobtanium, drilled meticulously by hand in Clearwater by trained CNC techs for a triple duty boat rinsing, line holder and drogue anchor.
It was really expensive, but Gerry gave one to me for free-that's the kind of guy he is. He is, however, secretly is trying to buy our boat back but his $30K cash offer or new Suncat in exchange just wasn't enough motivation.  I'm sure you understand.   I'm holding out for a Horizon Cat with diesel, that just might sway the deal.   We'll see if he comes around.   :D

The bungie--line tiller holder was probably the best $3.00 I spent on the boat.  It lets you steer pretty unobtrusively without doing anything else, you can adjust it based on wind and point of sail, it doesn't require drilling into the tiller or making another tiller cover.  5/16" bungie and 5/16" double braid, tied tightly with SS wire with just enough tension to allow the line to slip when adjusting.  But the tiller clutch...yep, the wavefront marine version, is pretty nice too, and I like it better. Easier to adjust and it holds much better, boat doesn't wander as much. Easy to release tension (just pull the lever), easier to adjust tension (slightly pull lever, move tiller to move point of "clutch" on line, release lever).    Being slave to the tiller can be tiring, everyone should have some sort of way to hold the tiller, even if only for short time to free a snagged line or grab a quick bottle of water.  Good for keeping the boat heading into the wind when raising sail too.

skip1930

One thing that is kind of handy is to replace the main sheet with a sheet that is about 10 foot longer then factory.
That way, the main sheet can be wrapped around the winch and used to crank the mail sail up all the way to the top-o-mast.

Pretty handy to be sure. skip.

Salty19

I'm not following you skip.. How would a main sheet help raise the sail?

Billy