a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib Furling System

Started by wnm, July 02, 2013, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wnm

I just bought a Hood Sea Flex Furling System. It came without instructions. I think I have figured out how to put it together but I have one question. What do I attach the top of the bearing at the top of the foil to? Do I use the jib halyard?
wnm

Salty19

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't have an experience with that furler, but I bet MacGuyer does being a marine tech and might have better input.
Not many around this part of the sailboat universe have discussed the Hood SeaFurl's much, most have CDI's, Shaefer, Harken and homebrewed versions.

Sounds like you're asking what the foil itself attaches to. Not knowing the design it's hard to say but looking at the basic literature:

http://www.hoodyachtsystems.com/pdf%20files/seaflexdata.pdf

It appears to be similar design to a Harken 00AL type we use, and that I installed. On our setup, a new forestay needs to be made with several foil attachment doohickeys placed on the stay before the end fittings are swaged on. Small holes in these attachment doohickeys let the forestay spin inside while the doohickeys--foil attachment brackets they are probably called, connect pieces of 7' foil together to make one long foil (for shipping and custom fitting reasons, I assume).  Now you might not need these foil attachment brackets or a new forestay but it gives you an idea of what another system looks like.

The top portion of the foil was cut to meet the specs of the CP19XL.   

The original style forestay end fitting (eye dropped shaped with center hole) protrudes up through the foil and connects to the masthead just like stock.

THe jib halyard attaches to the upper shackle on the swiveling doohickey, so you can tighten the luff, raise/lower sail just like if it had hanks yet the foil can spin and not wrap the jib halyard in knots.  Is this the part you're talking about?

Now I can't say for sure that yours works the same way, but suspect it does.  The foil or a stay should hold your mast up, not the jib halyard--that is for certain.
I would stop install and contact Hood for a copy of the installation manual. These are too expensive and critical to screw up, IMO.  Not having the manual when trying to put together the Harken would of been pretty tough not having installed one before, and of course the critical tips for measuring the foil length and how high the swivel should be (for ordering sails) were invaluable.

P.S. No need to double post questions in two areas.  I deleted the other one. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Salty19

Reading the literature more, the forestay just passes through the furler.

So the forestay will attach at the masthead.

jib halyard attaches to the top portion of the swivel assembly.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

WNM, first of all congrats on making your first post!
I hope my message back to you helped somewhat.

I know a lot about furlers and typically install Harken as they are truly a well built product. That being said, most furlers are similar in design.
Typically down the center should be some kind of bushing to keep the foil from rubbing against the forestay. At the top of the foils, there should be a bearing surface that screws to the top foil. the also acts as a bushing to keep the foils from rubbing the forestay.
This bushing might also serve as the attachment point for a stop of somekind to keep the "car" onto the foils not allowing it to come off at the top.
The Jib Halyard is run to the top of the "car" and the bottom of the car attaches to your headsail of choice.

Besides what I quickly skimmed over on Salty's reply, it seems as if you will need to see what model you have from Hood and get there parts breakdown.
I have had to do this with several systems over the years and parts typically come from the manufacturer.

Hood brand, sadly, is not one I have had to mess with. The most I have done was remove one from a 36 hunter and replace it with a Harken. That was a long time ago and I cant remember how that top section was.

Typically the setup you have may need to be matched up by eye and parts breakdown, as they typically didnt number the older units......... ProFurl being the worst I have ever had to deal with.......

Ask more questions here about it, and I will see if I can solve it with you. I am sure though that once you get the manual breakdown it will all come together quickly.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

I typed faster than i clicked other people links..... (Thanks for that link Salty, I was thinking of bigger systems)

Your type is identical to the CDI units.

That top piece should screw in somehow, with a screw from the top to expand the plastic to create a hold possibly, or from the side in the track.

A side note, a possibility could arise that you will need a halyard restrainer installed onto the mast, but it depends if it ever gets wrapped up on the mast or not (the jib halyard)

I think that the angle of approach on our boats should not be a issue, but it is something to watch for.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.