a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder Issue

Started by Vectordirector, June 25, 2013, 05:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

Can someone post a pic of the rudder kick up control in the correct down and up positions. I'm not sure I have mine set up correctly and the rudder keeps kicking up when the wind picks up.  It may be wear issue on the plastic piece on the top of the gudgeon.  Also not sure on the positioning of the shock cord from the tiller to the control rod.

Thanks in advance. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Eagleye

Vec,
I'll post one this evening.  I'm heading out to work now.

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

kickingbug1

it does look like that plastic piece would wear out over time as it provides interference to the rod. i thought of making something similar for my 16 but if there is enough tension on the bolt it doesnt kick up unless it hits something then you can pretty much feel the difference. i would think hutchins meant that to be replaced after time.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Eagleye

Hi Vector,
I couldn't tell you if my setup is correct or not but it has been working fine for me.  The Eclipse manual shows a different connection point for the shock cord than what mine came with so we can only take a good guess as to what is correct.  I did replace my shock cord with a sturdier version with adjustable nylon hooks for safety and so I could experiment with different tensions.

My shock cord is attached to the tiller and I then wrap it around the control handle above the upper SST tab. When the rudder is in the raised position the shock cord applies firm pressure on the control handle holding the lower SST tab on top of the plastic tab.

With the rudder in the locked down position the upper SST tab on the control is tucked under the plastic tab and the shock cord now holds it in place horizontally.

The only time that I had the rudder release was once when I was in shallow water with heavy seaweed and I had raised the tiller very high and it relaxed the tension of the shock cord.

Also be aware that if the rudder is kicked up by running aground you may have to reform the curves on the lifting arm so that it rests inside the grove in the aluminum rudder casting while in the down position.  Mine was sadly out of shape when we brought the Madame home.

Quote from: kickingbug1 on June 26, 2013, 11:01:56 AM
   it does look like that plastic piece would wear out over time as it provides interference to the rod.

The plastic tab must be made of some very durable material.  Even though the SST tabs on the control handle do leave impressions in the plastic I have seen no signs of it wearing or pieces breaking off.

I hope that helps,
Allen

Vectordirector

Thanks for the pics Allen.  I think I have the shock cord between the sst tabs.  The sst tab doesn't  make firm pressure under the plastic tab when the rudder is down.   Next time I'm up at the lake  I'll adjust it  and see if it helps.  I seem to remember having it higher up last year and it worked better.  I knew it was something simple.  The plastic tab looks worn but still in one piece.   I knew you guys would be able to help.  Thanks again. 

Oh, yeah, I got the cracks on the transom and in the companionway fixed.  Came out pretty good.  I have to remember to take some pics and post them.  That West System stuff is pretty good.  The Interlux Epoxy Primer (404/414) is nasty smelling stuff but it too works well. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

Good pictures.

I like the bungee idea, I just use a small line to secure it in place.

The small plastic lip to hold the handle in place could be replace with a nice stainless steel piece however, may be that small plastic piece is suppose to break free if needed ?     If so, another one could be made out of a similar piece of material.

I think I'm going to look for a small bungee !

Glenn

Eagleye

Quote from: Glenn on June 30, 2013, 10:00:10 AM
The small plastic lip to hold the handle in place could be replace with a nice stainless steel piece Glenn

Glenn,
The SST tab on the control handle actually "grips" into the plastic tab when the rudder is in the raised position.  I think that if it were made from SST also it would slip off. 
Look for a good quality shock cord, as there is a good deal of stretch in play.  Mine lasted all last season and is still going strong.

How has the sailing on the West coast been?

Allen

Glenn Basore

Allen,

You are correct in stating the tab locks the rudder in the up position but I think it also locks when in the down position or at least that's how I have been using it!

I'm hopping top sail this Wednesday, weather permitting. I haven't had her out since Feb at Lake Havasu and the eye ring  on the Jib tore out. I've had that repaired and I replaced the UV strip on the Jib to a Hunter green to match my hull color. the white always looked dirty.

I'm also refinishing the teak (again) using the high gloss Cetol over the Light Cetol Oil. This stuff seems to hold up better and last longer than straight Teak oil.

Glenn

Vectordirector

went out today after replacing the worn out non stretchy shock cord with a new one.  worked great, thanks for the help.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Eagleye

Glad to help, Vec. 
Now if the weather co-operates we can get some sailing in.

Allen