a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

washing sails

Started by kickingbug1, June 24, 2013, 06:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i know i read something here about the best way to wash sails. i just want to clean my cp16 110 jib. seems like someone said oxyclean.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

that is what i used.

i hand scrubbed it with a soft brush while it laid in the grass.

then i hung it up by tying long cords between 3 trees and rinsed it off with the power washer, but not too close.

the oxyclean did a real nice job.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

marc

I use oxiclean too. It was my sailmaker who recommended it.

kickingbug1

how much do i dilute it ? guess it has directions on the box. i asked sarah and she replied " i just pour some in"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

marc

Me too. I just pour some in :).  The small tubs of oxiclean I buy have a small scoop included. I put about 1/3 - 1/2 scoop to about a gallon of warm water. I never have measured it but I'd guess it's about 2 ounces. I usually don't put in so much that the water makes suds. Then I just dip my nylon hand scrub brush in it and  work the solution into the sail.

ShellDave

Just finished washing my sails today using Oxi Clean. Worked great and since it's 110 deg today the sails dried in no time! 

kickingbug1

the oxyclean worked great, i hung the sail in my garage and it dried pretty quick.

Bob23

Kick:
   Sounds like your'e prettying up your sails for the CLR 2013!
Bob23

skip1930

Lay the sails out on a green grass lawn and with a garden hose and powered [not liquid] Tide laundry detergent mixed up in a bucket of cold water and a nylon scrub brush, have at it. Flip her over and do the other side. Lay out in the shade to dry.

The powered Tide has just enough surfactants in it to keep the scrubbed off oils and soils from re-attaching to the sail cloth.

That's how the U.S. Navy cleans it's sail at Annapolis.

skip.