a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What are your tricks for cruising?

Started by HeaveToo, June 20, 2013, 04:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeaveToo

I like the way you mounted your solar panel and it looks very finished!  Are you able to charge your batteries pretty good from the solar panel and do you have any issues with the shadow from the boom or the sail?

The boom tent is a good idea.  That is an easy fabrication.  I also made a front hatch tent on my current boat so I can put it over the hatch and have the hatch open when it rains.  It works great and it keeps the boat much nicer at anchor during the rain.

I am also taking the camafro fan off of my current boat.  I love that thing and it is practically brand new.  It has such a low draw but it moves a good amount of air. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Koinonia

Very nice!  I remember my propane force 10 was only rated at 10k btu but could roast the inside of a 34ft boat!

Shawn

Thanks, there are four teak blocks mounted to the hatch and then I added aluminum angles to the panel to fit on the blocks. Blocks have a threaded insert in them for a screw on each mounting point. The panel can come off in about 5 minutes for mast raising/lowering. The electrical connector is on the hatch under the panel.

The solar handles all of my charging and keeps the battery topped up fine. I run a chartplotter, VHF, LED lighting, pressurized water, fan and an autopilot. I am sure the shadow reduces the power output (when it is on the panel) but I think that is a decent tradeoff to fit in a 40 watt panel (Kyrocera) fairly unobtrusively compared to putting in something with dramatically less output elsewhere on the boat. On sunny days I run the chartplotter and autopilot and the solar alone handles the load.

If I ever needed to I can switch in the alternator output from my Sailpro to help recharge but that hasn't been needed.

Shawn

Shawn

I think the wood stove is around 4-6k BTUs but that is plenty to make it nice and toasty inside.

Shawn

Bob23

Shawn:
   Your sink/stove arrangement looks great. It reminded me that I never use the 2nd burner on my 2 burner Origo. I may make that move but next fall. And thanks for reposting your wood stove photos...I love that thing! If I was in a colder climate I might add it to my 23.
Bob23

Ted

I use a flexible solar panel on my boat. I see the pic above of the nicely mounted solar panel and I am sure it has a bit more of a power rating than mine does, but I really like the flexible panel.

You can see the one I have, complete with specs, on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153EYUS/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (no, I don't work for the company!).

What's nice about this one is that you can step on it, drop it, drop things on it, and even get it wet without too much concern. I also have mine mounted on the companionway hatch. I just have a couple of lines that sung it down onto the rails on either side. Very simple to use and it has a built in regulator so you can't overcharge the batteries. It's always been sufficient to charge my battery and I can move it from boat it boat since it's not permanently mounted. I had it first on my 16 and now on my 19. Plugs directly into a cigarette lighter receptacle. It's pretty thin - just a few millimeters.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

Koinonia

Koinonia will be on the market and is cruise ready!  Going to a bigger boat so she's getting a new bottom and will be splashed in early August.

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

What are you moving up to? It's probably not a CP 35 is it.
Bob23
Hmmm...I wonder if my wife would notice the difference in size. Same name- I might just fool her. Yeah, right!

Koinonia

Ill have to sell one first before I can get another, but whod believe the wife said bigger boat after two rolley polley crossings.  Ive created a great trailer sailor but our next destinations are to far to trailer so were going to sell her.  I used to have an Oday 34 and I miss the feel of power as shed go upwind at over 7 knots heeled over.  A boat Im heavily considering is the mid 80s Beneteau 345.  Ill still have to look at one and do a sea trial but it looks like it would point like my little santana 20 but with a phrf of 120 it would be a heck of a thrill ride and a joy to sail.  I know Beneteau will most likely bring a flogging as their newer boats focused on interior comfort but the 80s first series was all about performance and a sweet sailing machine.  About 8 hears ago I had a First 305 and that boat was very fun!   If I can find a Compac 35 for what I can afford, that would be a no brainer, Ill be owning it!!

Shawn

Quote from: Shawn on June 20, 2013, 10:23:41 PM
Engel makes some true fridge/freezers that require pretty low power. A decent solar panel could keep you going for quite awhile as long as you had sunny days.

I've been looking into this more. Dometic/Waeco also make a somewhat less expensive version than the Engels and they are a little higher capacity for a similar sized unit. Due to the different type of compressor in the Dometic/Waseco units they have a high turn on current surge along with a rapid cooldown mode and a battery cut off. Build quality isn't to the same level as the Engels though.

Current consumption in fridge mode when averaged out over time is very good. One person measured roughly 500ma an hour over a 2 week period.
http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-150996.html

If anyone is looking for one there is a seller on ebay selling the Waeco/Dometic CF25s for $250 which is less than half what most others are selling them for. He has a least a dozen positive feedbacks from those that have purchased and received these from him. He has two left at that price. I ordered one this morning, have shipping number already and it should be delivered on Friday. I *think* it is going to fit under the companionway where I keep my regular cooler. Width and depth is fine, the height will be close. I may have to leave out the table to get the needed height. I expect I will also need to add a couple of vents in the side walls of that area for better circulation.

Shawn

HideAway

Here's something I have read about but never tried until last night.  We were aboard a friends Pearson Wanderer -  30 feet.  We had very light winds - maybe 5kn - it was very hot and humid - it is summer in Fl after all - but the moon is full and sunset beautiful.  When it was time to anchor Dan brought the anchor from the bow to mid ship and carefully lowered it paying out rode, then he asked me to cleat it off to the jib cleat. 

The boat kept its stern to the wind and the crew in comfort with a view of the sunset.  When it was time to go or if the wind changes you just thro the rode off the jib cleat and assuming you also cleated the bow the boat swings into the wind.   Pretty cool   Matt   
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/