a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pictures of your CP 16's

Started by Gee-Pa, June 19, 2013, 04:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gee-Pa

I am a new owner of a 1987 CP 16-2, and also new to sailing.  My son and I have developed this desire to sail and decided after reading many of your accolades for the CP 16 that this boat is where we should start.  We have some work to do to get it ship-shape and was wondering if some of you would share pictures of your 16's, both inside and out.  This will help us decide exactly what we want to do to our boat.  Thank you for this fantastic forum.

InertBert

Welcome to the forums.  How old is your son?  My boy is going into first grade and loves being on the boat.  I think that the example of responsibility and family time spent sailing is one of the best things a father can do.  Of course I think that mostly because its a good excuse for me to go sailing with my boy  ;D

My recommendation of what to "do to your boat" is to make it float as often as possible.  There are many people here who have amazing and beautiful boats that are shiny and wonderful.  You should look at their boats to see how to make yours, mine is ugly and worn.  The CP16 is a boat that is absolutely worth keeping up on, restoring and turning into something wonderful, just remember to sail it every now and then also.  If you keep a good eye on the CP16, it will keep you safe on the water. 

What are you going to name your boat?

Gee-Pa

My son will be 30 this month, but he still enjoys doing things with his old dad.  He has two boys (3 years & 16 months) that we will introduce to sailing as soon as we get the hang of it.  You have a great looking boat, and your trailer looks brand new compared to the one we have.  Still working on a name, trying to incorporate the names of the grand-boys into it.  We really want to make this a family adventure.  Thanks for the pictures.

Salty19

Gee-Pa,

Come on now, you're not going to get off that easy :)

If you read back over the 10 years of posts, you'll find a ton of useful information and all the pictures you can imagine.

First things to do to the boat is make sure you're equipped with the right safety equipment (fire ext, lifejackets, throwable, anchor with chain and long line, sound signal, etc), and that all the rigging and hardware is up to snuff, and not modified by any of the prior owner to standards less than factory. You don't want the mast to come down or anything to break off. 

Also make sure the trailer and tires are safe. Heavy rust near the axle and suspension should be addressed.

If it doesn't have a foiled rudder, that's highly recommended.  If the sails are old and soft (good sails are crisp and stiff), that's probably the next thing.
The standard flat rudder with old sails makes it difficult to make progress upwind ,from what I recall. 

BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand.    ;D
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Spartan

Here's my CP-16 in her slip at Moraine State Park about an hour north of Pittsburgh:

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

jthatcher

are you making any progress?   are you located in PA?     we are in northeast pa..   spartan is in western pa..    marty is in southeast pa..  and there are a few others floating around the state..    let us know if you would like  a hand!  jt

Bounty

Here's my 1993 Com-Pac 16 XL in the harbour of Tholen in the Netherlands. For as far as I know, this is the only Com-Pac 16 in Europe.

Ruud

InertBert

Quote from: Bounty on July 12, 2013, 06:59:33 PM
Here's my 1993 Com-Pac 16 XL in the harbour of Tholen in the Netherlands. For as far as I know, this is the only Com-Pac 16 in Europe.

Ruud

Spectacular!

Maybe there is a way we can make some digital equivalent of a map with pins in it to visualize how widespread our boats are. 

Spartan

Ruid

Any idea of how your boat got to the Netherlands?
Would love to hear the story.

Spartan aka Tom
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Bounty

Quote from: Spartan on July 13, 2013, 10:53:28 AM
Ruud

Any idea of how your boat got to the Netherlands?
Would love to hear the story.

Spartan aka Tom

I bought the sailboat from a colleague who bought the Com-Pac 16 XL brand new in 1993. In that time he was an instructor pilot and after his time in the USA he took the Com-Pac 16 back home.

grz Ruud

Spartan

Thanks for sharing - our boats are pretty wherever they are!
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

buzzards27

Quote from: InertBert on July 12, 2013, 09:13:23 PM
Spectacular!

Maybe there is a way we can make some digital equivalent of a map with pins in it to visualize how widespread our boats are.  

I have seen several forums with a world map with push pins for members. I'll ask one today about that app.

Citroen/Dave

I get to take my son out for our first father/son sail this weekend in a CP 16/2.  This will be the 5th splash for me and the first with a new set of sails.  We will leave the Washington Sailing Marina near Ragan airport on the Potomac River and head downstream for about as long as supplies last or we can stand it, and then time the tide for a return trip.  He just faced the Virginia Bar exam and he really needs a good short break before starting work.   I need to prove that this type of insanity is what I have really dreamed of for many years.

We will take pictures . . .

Hoping for good weather and no bugs,
Citroen/Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

songmaker

Quote from: Spartan on July 12, 2013, 01:42:57 PM
Here's my CP-16 in her slip at Moraine State Park about an hour north of Pittsburgh:

Spartan, I will soon be joining you at Moraine State Park.  I am purchasing a CP-16 in a slip very close to yours.  See you on Lake Arthur!