Main Menu

measurments 19' C P bimini

Started by rf2, June 18, 2013, 02:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf2

Would someone have the measurments for a Compac 19 ' bimini  Thanks Ralph

RF2 C P 19 hull #003 Bouncer  Bronson Fl

MacGyver

I havent gotten mine down to install it yet, but when I do, I will try to remember to post the measurements.
I bought it last year and never installed it, The wife insists on it this year. LOL

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

rf2

Quote from: MacGyver on June 21, 2013, 08:01:29 PM
I havent gotten mine down to install it yet, but when I do, I will try to remember to post the measurements.
I bought it last year and never installed it, The wife insists on it this year. LOL

Mac
Thanks Mac when you get your bimini installed would appreciate the measurements

R F 2 C P 19 Hull 003

Mattlikesbikes

Hey Mac  Where did you end up getting your bimini at and did you ever get a chance to post the measurements.
I would like to pick upd a stock one online some where.

MacGyver

Actually, I did install it, and have been sailing with it a few times to make sure I have no issues overall. I will be getting the info from the tag on it to give you guys once I make sure that it matches to what I bought from that site.
Several people have ordered from the website I used also and they do a great job.

In the next couple of days I will post the information so you guys can do with it what youd like. I will also measure the parts we cut off as that will facilitate a better installation.
This will give me a chance to describe some issues we have with it as well so you can figure out if this size is for you.

Will report back in a couple days.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Here is the exact one I bought.
http://www.websweeper.com/biminitops/part-3575

I also purchased some aluminum slides to be able to move the bimini forward and backward just in case I wanted that movement.
You could get by with 3 footers, I might have gotten 4 footers.
I went with Sunbrella. Cadet Gray.
Also did the SS upgrade SS fittings. The bimini itself (Frame) is the aluminum, which is perfect.

This Bimini works perfect when sailing, but one modification needs done, which is to cut down the side arms to where the fitting is one inch from the bow connection. I will take some pictures of this tomorrow.
The placement of the bimini is crucial to have enough room for the mainsheet and to also cover the cabin slider enough that during a rain you are out of the weather.
During CLR, we were in a rain storm, coming down steady, and I could be under the bimini with 2 passengers and was dry.

If you camp on the boat with a air conditioner, this will keep the water off the air conditioner, and keep the hatch almost all the way open.
you could go to a 5 footer, but that doesnt take full advantage of being out of the sun.

To put the bimini up, we let out the mainsheet and push the boom way out, then put up the bimini, then sheet in the mainsheet.

The back straps attach to the lifeline connection on the stern rails, and the forward connections can be looped around the handles.

Only issue for me is to go up front, you have to shimmy thru the opening but that for us isnt a big deal when you consider you are out of the hot sun.
If you have a furler, this obviously isnt a problem........ but to anchor is a issue.

I will take pictures.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Sam Bateman

Mac,

I know you said you installed this on your CP 19 but the cockpit dimensions on the CP 16 are very close to a 19, no?
You think this same size would work on a CP 16?
If it is in fact a quality bimini, the sale price right now is pretty hard to beat.

Did you say that you have sailed with the bimini up? Any clearance issues?
And did you ever get some pictures of your installation?

Thanks,

Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
1981 CP 16

MacGyver

Quote from: Sam Bateman on August 06, 2013, 07:01:23 PM
Mac,

I know you said you installed this on your CP 19 but the cockpit dimensions on the CP 16 are very close to a 19, no?
You think this same size would work on a CP 16?
If it is in fact a quality bimini, the sale price right now is pretty hard to beat.

Did you say that you have sailed with the bimini up? Any clearance issues?
And did you ever get some pictures of your installation?

Thanks,

Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
1981 CP 16

Sam, I have no idea about the size for a 16, and There is a 16 on the lot, but sadly I am running full bore lately and havent even had time to sail, so I cant promise to measure them both and get back with you.
No clearance issues at all, in fact, it is really surprising to me how well it all works, even my wife is happy, so you know if it passes the wife test, it is indeed fantastic :) and the only issue I have ever had is as a hank on headsail kinda guy, we have to belly roll under it to go forward. so far even that isnt a big deal to even my wife, who has complained about scratchy non skid on the knees and legs, but has said the bimini is still worth it...... LOL

No pictures yet, as simple as it sounds to grab a few next time I am out (I work at the marina, and so far since CLR have only seen my boat daily while walking the docks......) I literally have had so little time.

If I was you I would measure the width and then how long you want to cover as far as area. You would do this with the mast up, and the boom supported by the topping lift.
This would also include the installation of the mainsheet, so you know it cannot be behind that. It also cannot interfere when the boom makes its round swing, from port to starboard.

And then you think about how far forward it needs to be during usage, mainly while sailing, and then at anchor, or when sleeping on the boat.
That will define the length, and help secure the width. The height is determined by the boom on the topping lift, as the sail will raise the boom up. I also double checked with the main raised up all the way, as high as the main halyard will take it, and then tightening the downhaul for the main.

These measurements will compute out a good bimini. I also would recommend maybe call them with those measurements, as that guy can help to find the right one.

They sell tracks to move the bimini forward and backward, and for a 16, a 2 foot track would be good I am sure, I have a 4 and have never moved the sliders yet....... but it is nice to think the adjustment is indeed there for me.

A SS upgrade for me was a no brainer as far as the parts go, I will never have a connector failure due to plastic fatigue.

I hope this helps, by measuring that way I described, I am positive you will get one that will work out.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

I doubt a CP19 bimini would fit a 16. 16's are a foot narrower and the boom is a heck of a lot lower.
Never trust someone else's dimensions when fitting something like this, especially when the boats are different.   
Do a search here on "mini-bimini" for a really nice CP16 version (small, yet functional). Or set up your mast, rig the sail and measure twice, order once.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

trijntje

Hiya,
Now that a full season has gone by, any chance of getting the measurements and/or a photo of the bimini you put on your C19? We just spent our first overnight on ours (mid-80's, hull 101) and the 8 hour sail to our destination would have been a LOT more pleasant with a little shade. :) We're newbies to being the owners of this level of boat (we inherited it from parents last year: we're used to owning smaller things like Lasers) and HATE the idea of poking holes in the fiberglass. Also, we haven't done many (any?) real life, no-one-to-answer-to-but-yourself-if-you-blow-it improvements yet, so we're... nervous.

Thx.

MacGyver

Is your boat a 19?

If so, check these pictures out here at this link, in that post is photos of my boat, and I am sure several of the bimini pictures in it will help you out. Give it a chance to fully load, and observe the measurements above to see if it will work for you.

Our boat is a Mark 3 version, but I think the boom and such are the same for the Mark 1 and the headsail isnt a issue as far as the bimini goes.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6865.0

Ask any more questions here and I will answer as best I can. This bimini is worth the investment as it has made my wife happy, which is saying a ton! :)

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.