a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First splash

Started by wroundey, June 13, 2013, 06:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wroundey

Took my 16 out this AM for the first time - kept it close to home and put in at Creve Coeur Lake in western St Louis County, MO (about a 15 minute drive from home). Took my 18 yo daughter to give a feel for sailing - she enjoyed the time on the water. Boat handled nicely and was a pleasure to sail. Only sailed with main and jib, I did not try out my 130. The only problem of the day was taking her out of the water - I pull with a FWD mini van and there was just enough sand on the ramp that I had trouble maintaining traction. But after some careful driving I was able to pull her out and get her home. I wonder if I would benefit from a tongue extension on the trailer. I am hoping to get over for a day of sailing at CLR in July, but that will depend on the rest of the summer plans and  family.

kickingbug1

sure hope you can make the clr. the meet and greet will be at bretts winery on rt 127 just north of carlyle on friday night.  saturday night is the party at the west access marina. you would be more than welcome. sailing is each day from friday to sunday and beyond for those staying longer with maybe a night sail thrown in. contact me at 588-3889
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Pacman

Quote from: wroundey on June 13, 2013, 06:48:06 PM
I wonder if I would benefit from a tongue extension on the trailer.

Definitely put on a tongue extension.  They work very well for ramps like the one you described.  I did a short feature on the one I made for my C-16 for Good Old Boat magazine a few years back.

All you have to do is saw off the end of the existing tongue with the hitch and drill a hole for a hitch pin.

Then find a 7 foot section of square tube that fits inside the existing tongue and mount the hitch on one end.

Slide it into the end of the existing tongue and drill two holes through the tongue extension. 
One hole is for the extended launch and retreive position.  The other hole is for the short travel position.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

wroundey

re Tongue Extension - my trailer tongue is not a square tube - rather it is a rectangle (I think 2x3). My father-in-law has a metal shop up in MN and I am headed there in two weeks so I plan to go through his stacks of steel and see what I can find.