Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Torqueedo 1003 LS for Power on my CP 19

Started by Gil Weiss, June 13, 2013, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Weiss

Hello all,

I haven't been here in a while, but I am still sailing and loving my 1983 CP 19. I got tired of the ethanol fuel problems with my 2006 Mercury 6 hp 4 stroke and I bought a Torqueedo 1003 long shaft towards the end of last season. Works great for the lake I sail on (Nockamixon in SE Pennsylvania) and has proven to be totally reliable. No more wasted sailing days due to motor issues!

There were a few "fit and function" issues with the Torqueedo but I engineered solutions to all of them. I really like this motor and how it works! I had my Merc repaired the end of last season, but it sits in my garage as a spare power source. 

Cheers, Gil

Salty19

Hey Gil, long time no sea...

Thanks for the review, looks like a perfect inland lake motor for a 16, 19, sun cat, legacy, etc.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

man those buggers are pretty pricey though
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Hi Gill...nice to hear from you again.
I like the Torqueedos. A guy has a Flying Scott moored near my boat and uses a Torqueedo as an auxillary. I don't know which model but they seem to be state of the art for electric outboards. His has a digital display showing remaining range based on current speed and remaining voltage in the battery. Does yours do that?
Bob23

Gil Weiss

Regarding price, they are a bit more than a comparable new four stroke outboard. However, the fact that it starts every time and allows worry free sailing (like will it run until I get back in my slip?) is worth the money. Also, these motors are clean, light and easy to use. For the inland lake I sail on it seems perfect. It can move my fully loaded CP 19 at 5 MPH and higher, but the sweet spot is about 2.3 MPH which gives me plenty of range and run time. Battery management is easy with the GPS/Information system this motor has.

Typically, I use less than 10% of the battery energy to get out on the water and to return to my slip. My range on a full charge is 11 to 17 miles. I fabricated a few special parts to mount my motor and tiller to best suit my boat and I am quite pleased with the result. I did repair my 2006 Mercury 6 hp 4 stroke and keep it as a spare. I will probably sell it one day . . .

Gil

InertBert

A pleasant side effect of electric power:  I switched to an electric motor on my CP 16, and I find that in tricky situations, I reach for the motor for a 5-10 second bit of thrust to get me through a tack near an imposing looking sea wall or to put my bow back into the wind to get another minute or so of rigging done before setting off.  The instant on instant off power is a game changer and allows you to use the motor to make a quick turn through a wake (or whatever) you need without having to pull and pull and hope and pull until your motor is running. 

I am all about the electric boat.  less fire risk, less noise, less hassle.  Its how sailboats should be.