a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rain, rain, go away. I have to work on my boat today

Started by crazycarl, June 05, 2013, 06:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

With CLR just 5 weeks away, it doesn't looked too promising I'll be finished with all the projects I planned for this year.

The cool weather and all the rain has me mowing the lawn every other day just to keep up.

I look at what Jason has accomplished, and I think, WOW!  When he puts his mind to something, there is no stopping him.

All the parts are starting to arrive at the house, now I just need 2 dry weeks to install them.

This is what I have so far:

For the trailer... http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=CR0606&eq=&Tp=, also new supports and taller keel guide ons.

For the boat...to replace the foam removed from the bow and to support the water tank  http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

the water tank  http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/286/8-gallon-marine-water-tank-b270

to re-bed the deck hardware  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/butyl-tape-3-4-x30/39160

for the mast http://www.mastgates.com/ and http://www.boomkicker.com/

I also purchased a masthead anchor light, boom vang, windex, bilge paint, and new anchor marine wire to re-wire the entire boat.

I'm also building a new compression post, and shelves for the cabin.

I guess I really only need to have the boat re-wired for CLR, but it would be nice to be done with all this!

going crazy waiting for fair weather, carl

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

skip1930

So bilge paint? Don't paint the bilge where the automatic/electric pumps resides...probably end up sucking paint into the pump's screen.
This is my adult beverage and crushed ice locker. Yep under the head...as we say it's a compact boat.

Don't ask why I know this.
Without bilge paint one can see daylight and how pretty the pinkish color of the resign is.

Holy cow man, you plan on rebuilding the boat or just go sailing? skip.

crazycarl

skip,

i tend to go "overboard" with most of my projects, but 90% of our sailing are weekend trips so we sleep, cook, and eat on her a lot.

we've been using a wash bin for dishes, but after having sinks in our other boats, we got spoiled.

i also thought about using the bilge for drinks.  that is why i sanded it smooth and am now making a "ramp" to funnel the water forward toward the pump.  on our other boats, i had built in coolers that either drain outside the boat, or into the bilge.  been thinking about building a permanent cooler that would drain all that cold water into the bilge where we could "pre-cool" our drinks and such.  i'v used the interlux bilge paint in the past and it won't rub off or soak up water.  it makes the bilge easier to clean and wipe down after removal of said items.

carl

brackish

Skip, you are either much more agile than I or the 19 is configured much differently than my 23, but with 14" of vertical clearance at the access to the bilge area, I do not want to be crawling under there to get a cold adult beverage. :P 

Carl, I too am considering a built in, making that 14" high drop board companionway step support into a drawer front and building the cooler to it as slide out drawer.  Having to pull a heavy cooler in and out of that area is one of the biggest galley problems with the boat. Lift the hinged step, pull the drop board, find a place to put it, pull the cooler, get what I need, then reverse the process to clear the cabin, then remember you needed something else..... If you move forward be sure and show and tell so I can steal ideas and/or methods. ;D

Greene

That is quite a work list Carl.  You must be related to Macgyver.

We have used the area under the companionway steps for our portable toilet on both the 19 and the 23.  Having to wake Brenda up and make her get out of the v-berth when I need to use the head would not go over very well.  We find having it over the bilge to work really well.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

crazycarl

mike,
if i was like macgyver, i'd be done by now. i'd like to know where he gets the motivation and energy to put a coat of paint on his boat BEFORE work.  i'm lucky if i'm awake by the time i arrive for roll call.

we also keep the head under the step.  having it next to our heads while sleeping never appealed to us.  i plan on installing heavy duty draw slides for it so joanie can pull the head out herself.

brackish,

the problem i'm having now is where to build it in the 19.  there isn't a lot of room. i have 2 deep cycle batteries mounted just forward of the compression post, and the water tank will go forward of them, so the room under the v-berth is gone. the sink will be mounted in the port side storage area just aft of the compression post, and it's too small anyway. i've thought about placing it on sliding rails where it could move aft into the starboard cockpit locker while sleeping, and then slide back into the starboard bunk while sailing. my wife sleeps on that side, and at 5' 4", the cooler wouldn't need to move too far aft.
  there's some engineering needed here and i'll build it out of mdf first to make sure it works.

carl

MacGyver

I will tell you the secret to getting up before work and getting a coat on: Ginger riding my A$$ to get the boat done especially before CLR, ROFLMAO

I had to work graphics job today, after working at the marina.... so I didnt get anything done on the boat today......
But I am close to getting something done and hopefully after this weekend I will have all the hardware back on it! :)

I too had some electrical to do, but now I know that is sidelined for the most part... priorities...... now it is getting closer to the time to get it in for sailing time soon....

Mac

Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

moonlight

Just a reminder for those not near a real chandlery or marine store, yet wanting to rewire ... I've got over 10,000' of marine grade wire in stock at all times, and would be happy to spool off what you need in the appropriate ABYC code compliant color schemes.  Just let me know.

crazycarl

2 whole days without rain! that's a record for this year!

this is what i've accomplished so far...

installed the mastgate

i was tired of every time i dropped something, it ended up in the bilge and i would stab myself on a fiberglass shard sticking out.  so, i sanded it. raised the bow, and made several pours of epoxy to build a ramp of 10 degrees or so.  then i painted it with interlux bilge paint.  now the water will run towards the pump and it should make cleaning and retrieving items safer.

i made a cheap plywood drop board for when the boat is in transport or storage, leaving the nice 2 piece boards for sailing times.

i finally started on the wiring.  removed the bow rail and pulled new wire through and installed a new bow light. remounted the rail and used butyl tape to seal it.  sorry, no pic.

made a cheap, but effective mount for the windex.

existing antenna mount

new running light, VHF, battery switch, battery meter and power port wiring. (needs to be organized and secured yet)

closed the boat up early due to rain, so it's into the shop where i'll continue working on a new compression post, and put another coat of cetol on the tiller, drop boards, and pulpit.

oh, how could i forget,  GO HAWKS!

carl

MacGyver

GO HAWKS!
My buddy tried to convert my Chicago blood over to Blue (St Louis Blues) but it was unsuccessful...  ;D

Great job Carl, you are gaining speed, soon, you will accomplish great feats like I appear to do, LOL

I like what you did with the bilge (amongst the other jobs) what a fantastic idea.
The race is on to get the jobs done by CLR my friend! GOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Great use of your dry window, CC:
   It looks like a wet week for us out here in NJ. I'm in the same boat as you were...my 23 sits on her trailer about 99% done but I need some dry weather for that next 1%. Looks like I won't be in this week. This is getting depressing: I'm always in the water in May, some years it's April. Now it doesn't look like I'll even be in for Father's Day.
Bob23

crazycarl

i've been looking at those little items that need attention before we take miss adventures out, i forgot the registration expires at the end of the month. 

renewed it online, $50 for 3 years + $2 "convenience fee". 

i don't recall it being this expensive, am i wrong?

carl

in illinois

Bob23

If you were in NJ it would be 28 clams a year. Small price to pay for living in the greatest state in the Union. Still, what do I get for my $28? A chincy little registration card and 2 colorful stickers for the boat. We haven't invented online registration here in NJ yet.
Bob23

Harrier

Quote from: skip1930 on June 05, 2013, 09:29:05 PM
So bilge paint? Don't paint the bilge where the automatic/electric pumps resides...probably end up sucking paint into the pump's screen.....

Right on.
So my pump stopped working ~ month ago.  Last night I finally got around to investigating why.  Paint in the bilge had peeled and was stuck in the screen and blocking the one way valve open.  The nastiness that grew in there over the last month was impressive.   :o
Anyway, I wont be repainting.

MacGyver

Proper prep, Proper paint, no issues what so ever.

Mac  ;)
-Alaine Gerbault.