a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Repairing Transom Cracks Advise Needed

Started by Vectordirector, May 26, 2013, 03:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

Pulling Strings is out of storage and I've decided to deal with the transom cracks.  Previous owner put green stuff on. Unsightly!!
>:( Before: [url][/url]

After grinding away the green stuff with a dremel: 
:'([url][/url]

][URL=http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/bhobgood1/media/transom3.jpg.html][/url]

The first one, along the starboard side is not too deep, maybe 1/4", the one along the bottom is worse, about 1/2" to 3/4" inches deep.  They are both about 1/4" wide.  I bought some marine-tex at West, is this enough to patch this or do I need to use something more "involved" like 105/205 and then gelcoat?  I've never done anything like this before but have been watching videos on youtube, doesn't look too difficult.  I would like these areas to basically disappear from 5 feet or so.  Perfection isn't necessary, just something I won't need to redo every year.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

MacGyver

Vector,
Can you see through to the inside?
If not,
Lower the front of the boat as low as it can go to aid you in the repair.
use 105/205 in its own mixture to begin with. Also buy some syringes (preferably West System, as they will handle the epoxy....)
syringe it into that crack......do not fill the crack completely.
Mix 404 (West System filler) into the mix, then syringe it into the crack to finish filling it out.
Use 2 inch tape to cover the seam to allow that filler to stay where it is needed.
Next day, sand smooth,  and sand the lip edge. Prime with Interlux 2000 White, or Epoxy Primekote 404.
Sand the primer and paint with Brightsides paint.

This will protect that edge well for you. And it will protect the Epoxy from UV issues.

IF you can see it through to the inside, then tape the inside with 2 inch masking tape making sure it is adhered well to keep epoxy where it should be. Then proceed with the process.

No offense, but I have been doing the fiberglass work for a long time, Marine Tex isnt even close to my tool box for boat work.......
That might be a product I need to play with sometime.......

I will be more than happy to field a phone call if you need on this to firther explain anything.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Vectordirector

Thanks for the quick reply Mac,  I really appreciate it.  One thing I have learned after 49 years on this planet is that (unless you are a complete idiot) you seek out an expert and heed their teachings.  I wouldn't dream of disregarding your expert advice on this matter.  The marine-tex was bought on impulse before I removed the green crap and saw the extent of the cracks.  They are much deeper than I imagined although I can't see through them.  If it was just surface damage, the Marine-tex might have done the job, it gets rave reviews in that application.  Seems a lot of people use it for quick ding repair and the like. 

But back to the issue at hand.  I'll be dropping by West Marine on Tuesday morning to get the 102/205.  I've seen youtube videos on it so I think I have a handle on mixing etc.  I don't know if you have seen them but West has 6 packets kits (101-6) that come with everything I will need including filler, syringe, brushes,etc.  I think I'll just buy one of these and an extra 6 pack of 105/205 and see how far it goes.  I'll post pics when I'm done, hopefully hitting the water next weekend..Wish me luck and thanks again.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

MacGyver

Vector,
Keep in mind that if stored decently, the 105/205 in the small size (Group size A? Quart of 105) keeps practically forever.

Not sure what your place charges for the repair kits, but it might be more cost effective for the small setup than it is for the kits.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Vectordirector

Trying to figure that out right now.  Of course the more you buy of anything the cheaper it is per ounce.  But I don't have any of the "stuff", mixing pots, brushes, syringes, etc so the kit is a good value to start out.  If I need more I'll buy a quart of 105 and the correct amount of 205 to match.  The paint/primer is going to be the killer as I'll not need near a quart of either.  You guys buy that stuff by the bucket.  There aren't any marine paint dealers within 20 miles of here so I have to use West Marine in Arlington Heights. I could order online from Defender and save a few bucks,  but I want to get this done by Friday.   Still, diy is cheaper than having it done at the marina, I'm sure.  And, it's a learning experience.   :-\
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Glenn Basore

Vector,

I too had these same cracks and I had called Gerry to see how serious these cracks were, he assured me they were cosmetic not structural , even offered to fix them if I would bring my boat end. Not possible for me as I'm in calif.

I masked there area off well and cleaned the cracks out the best I could to get the loose stuff out. I used epoxy to fill the cracks which worked well for me. I then fiber glassed the lip area, sanded and feathered the edges

I let it dry for a day or two allowing it to cure. I then sanded and I painted the area using Kryon paint that matched closely.

After a few years it has held up well.

I wasn't aware of all the marnie products to use or which ones to use.

I'm sure the advice you received here from the others will allow you to make a good repair.

Glenn

Eagleye

Vector,
Since Glenn mentioned he also had the same transom cracks I had to go out and check my Eclipse.  I'm happy to say that she is clean with no cracking visible.

On the West System epoxies, I definitely would listen to Jason's advice.  I am finishing up my fuel locker repair and for my first time doing any type of fiberglass repair the WS stuff makes it relatively simple. I went with the group A size for the 105 and 205.  I also purchased the metering pumps, cups, glass, 406 thickener and everything I needed to do the job.  I looked at the kits but my project was way beyond that.  As it turned out I ran out of the epoxy to do the final coats so I am going to pick up another set which will leave me some left over for other projects that might pop up.  The tutorials on the WS website did a good job on getting me through the basics.
I'll post my results when it is done. 

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Vectordirector

Hard to believe, but West Marine is open today. Weather is cool and rainy to I'm heading that way to pick up the West System stuff, paint, primer, acetone. Glad to hear your boat is not in need of this Allen.  Have fun with your latest project.  Glenn, I saw your thread about these cracks before I bought my boat and I'm glad I did as it gave me piece of mind that they weren't anything major.  Glad to hear that your repair went well.

That green stuff is just ugly, even though it does seem to work.  Had go get rid of it.  As Mac says, do it right the first time.  The videos on West's site and downloadable instructions make me much more confident that I can tackle this project.  Doesn't seem too difficult, just time consuming detail work.  Pics to come after I fix 'er up.  Thanks again guys, this site is a wonderful resource. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

kickingbug1

im curious did hutchins have any idea what might have caused the cracks in the first place.? seems like a odd place for a failure.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"