Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard on SunCat

Started by tooboat, May 25, 2013, 10:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooboat

Hi,
Not likely a new post but I just have to ask how you all feel about leaving your motor on the transom when trailering? Any experiences would be apprciated.I have a 6hp Tohatsu that is getting to be a bear to handle in and out of the pickup. So my thoughts go to leaving on the boat. Jerry seems nonpulsed about it. But it scares me!
Ron Blais  (tooboat)

bfelton

I don't like the idea of a heavy motor bouncing up and down on the transom while trailering.  When I had a two horse power Honda,  I even removed it.

Bert Felton

nies

Not a good idea,  leaving the motor on while trailing is a very expensive accident waiting to happen............nies

Craig

Depends on how far you are trailing. Don't trust the tilt latch in any case if going any distance.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

tooboat,

No worries mate!

Your concern about the loads placed on the transom with the motor "Bouncing" around while going down the highway is UNDERSTANDABLE and VALID. Some folks always travel with outboards in the tow vehicle or on a special mount added to the trailer itself. I too am loath to manhandle the outboard that much and believe that there are simple, safe, and efficient solutions to this problem.

Therefore, assuming that you are not exceeding the design weight capacity of the mount itself (with a huge oversize outboard), there are simple ways to DAMPEN, MINIMIZE, or perhaps even ELIMINATE  the adverse effects of what we Engineers call "Dynamic Loads" on the Transom from the Motor bouncing on the Mount.

The simplest method that Tom Ray and I employ on our Sun Cats is to run a line, or better yet a Nylon Ratchet Strap, from one Stern Cleat to a point under the motor and up against the Motor Bracket Plate, and then back up to the other Stern Cleat. Then, as you lift the motor slightly with your shoulder, tighten the Nylon Ratchet Strap snugly to help support the WEIGHT, AND, prevent the motor from MOVING UP AND DOWN on the Mount

Such a Nylon Ratchet Strap is used whenever I trailer my boat locally with a YAMAHA 4 HP 4-stroke long shaft weighing 62 pounds. When I park the boat for storage I simply release the tension on the Nylon Strap but LEAVE IT IN PLACE, ready to tighten up for the next trip. By the way, the Motor is always VERTICAL, NOT TILTED!

AND, I would not hesitate to trailer longer distances with my Nylon Strap Rig supporting my outboard motor!

Hope this provides food for thought.

capt_nemo

frank

Capt Nemo....I have the same engine and have trailered several thousand miles with the motor on and tied simiar to your arrangement with no ill effects. Yep...it works  :)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

capt_nemo

frank,

Thanks for the corroborating testimonial.

Your experience with the simple inexpensive "Outboard Sling Rig" is an invaluable contribution to this Forum, and we thank you.

I firmly believe in keeping things simple, safe, and efficient.

capt_nemo

tooboat

Hi, its tooboat again with the rest of the story. Last Friday may 24 ( the day before  I asked the question) I used two motorcycle ratchet tie downs to support the 6hp 59lb Tohatsu & mount as follows. Each was hooked to the base of the gallows then around the near cleat to be joined about mid transom. The ratchet pulled very tight but I did not "shoulder up" the motor. Driving behind the rig for 60 miles and watching the movement made stomach hurt! It seems to me that the straping can not absorb all the shock of each bounce and some stress must be transmitted to the transom. Have you all made a serious inspection of the conditions inside the hull at the motor mount location?
Comments and critique?
Ron Blais

Matt C

I have also used a line from stern cleat to stern cleat without a problem. I put a loop on it mid way between the outboard and the starboard cleat and then run the line through the  starboard cleat, through the loop the back through the cleat for some added purchase.  For long trips (e.g. just trailered it from Central Florida to the Keys and back) I also use a second line with a loop over then outboard and then up over the boom gallows for some extra support.

Mldun

I am brand new to the group and have a Sunday cat on order. I am trying to decide whether to go with the Yamaha 4 hp or 6 hp. They are the same weight and we  get a fairly strong current here at Amelia Island. I would love some opinions from the experiences of the group.  ???

nies

Go 6 HP, I have used from 2 1/2 to 9.9 on my small boats and never have been sorry about having a couple exra horse in the middle of a storm or strong currents............nies

cavie

4 hp is perfict for the Suncat. Never run mine past the start position on the grip. Leave mine on the boat for 3 years now. 13 total on the 3 boats I've owned. I tie mine down from the foot to the trailer. Boat is tied to the trailer.

rogerschwake

Ahoy Suncatters
  A year ago this spring we bought a 1994 Suncat with a 4HP Johnson. I trailered it from Louiseana to Iowa with no extra support for the motor. We have trailered to Minnesota 3 times, Michigan once and at least 10 one hundred mile trips around Iowa. Have not found any stress cracks on the transom of my boat. The 4HP motor that came with our boat is a short shaft and it just gets me around. If someone goes to the bow to land at a dock or anchor the prop just about come out of the water. When we replace it, hope to buy a 6HP with long shaft.
ROGER

frank

I'll 2nd the 4hp longshaft recommendation by Cavie. Extremely happy with mine and very seldom have the throttle set past "start". I have never had to use full throttle....even into waves during a blow. No need for the extra weight or expense. Charlie uses the same 4hp on his 21 and loves it.

PS...kinda funny...we "all" have opinions.  If ya think outboards are bad....ask what the best anchor would be  :o :o
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

capt_nemo

The YAMAHA Dealer that sold me my outboard emphasized that the only significant differences between the NEW 4-stroke 4 HP and 6 HP was that the 6 HP had just a little more top end (increased MAX RPM to achieve the 6 HP rating) but a much higher price tag. He advised me not to spend the extra money for HP that I wouldn't  need.

Count me among those who are quite satisfied with a YAMAHA 4-stroke 4 HP outboard on my Sun Cat.

capt_nemo