a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New 83 Com-Pac 19 owner here

Started by Mattlikesbikes, May 14, 2013, 03:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

Hi My Name is Matt and I am located in Bucks County PA and will be sailing at lake Nockamixon. I was just given a CP19 by my dad's friend. A little back story he bought the boat about 4-5 years ago and it was sitting in his backyard until last year when I helped him put it in the water and take it out of the water. It was never used during that time it just sat in the slip. Due to health reasons he cannot really use it and asked if I wanted it.  Well here I am. ;D

The boat was pretty much neglected the last 4 years and needs a lot of work. I brought it home last weekend and started cleaning it.  I made some progress but it seems like it is going to take me another month or so it get it ready to go in the water. What sucks is he paid for the slip already but I just need to find the time to get all the work done.  I got most of the crud off of the deck and vacuumed out the cabin on Sunday . Next is to clean up some mold on the inside hatches and cabin walls and flush the bilge.

This will be the biggest boat I ever owned I had a few sunfishes many years ago and I grew up sailing with my dad (he had a Irwin 32) but it has been a while since I actually sailed and nothing this big.

I have a bunch of questions but thought I would start off by introducing myself

Billy

Welcome!
I too own a very lovely 1983 CP19! And when I purchased her she had been long neglected as well. Needless to say, now she logs plenty of hours on the water and gets plenty of attention.

And please ask questions, you will almost always get more answer than one.

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Hi Matt and welcome:
  First question: What kind of bikes do you like? Second, congrats on your new 19! Wonderful of that guy to give you a Compac 19! They are well made and should clean up just fine. Feel free to fire your questions at will...you'll get lots of answers and some of them may even be correct! I know there are a few Nockamixon sailors here who'll be chiming in.
  Again, welcome!
Bob23 and 1985 23/2 "Koinonia" on the Jersey shore.

jthatcher

great question bob.. you are so attentive!   

Hi Matt,   welcome to the forum..  bucks county - how nice is that.. i grew up in Quakertown..    I was in high school when Nockamixon  was built..    yes i am  that old..  but not as old as bob!     you will probably meet Marty here also.. he is in lower bucks..  we sailed with him on nockamixon  on his 16.. great guy.. lots of stories..   

so how fortunate to be given a compac 19!!   that is a   story in itself..    we have a 23 down on barnegat bay near bob..   i have yet to make it down there  to get the boat in shape for the upcoming season, but that will happen any day now..   ( we are currently living near wilkes barre)

Hopefully, you can  get what really needs to be done out of the way..  enjoy the boat for the summer and make a list of all the things you want to do during the off season..    the boat does not have to be perfect to be enjoyable!

I think that there are a number of compacs on the lake - you will probably meet up with some helpful folks down there..    good luck and keep us up to date on your experiences!   jt

Mattlikesbikes

Thanks for the welcome guys.   I was pretty surprised when he offered me the boat. I was not really in the market for a sailboat at this time mainly because of the lack of time. We just moved in November from a townhouse to a singe family house with little over ½ acre.  I have a 2 ½ year old and we have another on the way.  So between the family and working on the house/yard I now have to squeeze in working on a boat :-) My wife already complains I have too many hobbies already.

As for Bob's question I road bike and mountain bike but lately it has been a lot more mountain biking.

My dad used to keep his boat on Bargnete Bay I do not remember what marina but it was on forked river.  He gave up sailing when he started cycling.

My plan is to get it in the water this summer but probably keep it on the dry next summer the baby is due in October so I am not sure what next summer Is going to look like but my guess is busy.

I will start a new thread with some questions tomorrow.

Bob23

Around 2 decades ago, I really enjoyed road cycling until in 1995 and again in 2000 a few drivers decided they'd like to hit me with thier cars. First it was just a broken collarbone which, to a road cyclist is almost like a rite of passage. In 2000, a bit more serious. Not wanting to risk striking out a third time, I decided to get more serious about rowing, which I really love. But I learned that some of the morons who drive cars also have powerboats. I pity the fool who crashes into my Compac 23, though!
   I still have my 1992 Bridgestone RB-2 and have begun to ride again but not the 4000 miles per years I did back in the day. My son Chris and my brother Jim are the current family cycling junkies. They're doing a century this Saturday. I used to love those. Then was then and now is now.
   Best to you and your new additions to the family, both human and boat!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Matt, send Gil Weiss, a member here, a PM.  He has a 19 on the Nox.  He also was one of the first  moderators on this board.  You can see him sailing his boat on the Com-Pac website, the only remnant of the 19 on that site. Gills ID# is 11 if you want to look his profile up.   The Com-Pac fleet#1 is also on the Nox.

Just a couple of suggestions, welcome to the board,!  Oh, and watch for your initiation fees invoice.  It's real important to Bob23's habits.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

fasteddie

Hi Matt, my name is Ed Smith, aka fasteddie, i bought a 1982 19 last year, i have it in a slip at Nockamixon, if you want to go out with me for a test run ,e-mail me, im retired , smithel97@gmail.com, im in J dock slip 19. Love, PEACE & Sailing!
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

Mattlikesbikes

Hey Ed I might have to take you up on that offer one of these days. I would not mind checking out how everything is rigged up. I know when we stepped the mast last year and put the boat in the water I do not think I had everything set up correctly It did not really matter since he never took the boat out but I want to get it right this time

Ralph Erickson

Hey Matt,
Congratulations on your "new" CP 19. You'll love the boat.  I keep my '86 CP 19 at Lake Nockamixon as well. Also, I'm the Nockamixon Sail Club Com Pac Fleet Captain.  Tim was right about contacting Gil with any questions - he's very knowledable, and feel free to contact me any time with any questions.

Ralph
CP19II #347
"Patricia Lee"
www.sailaway.smugmug.com/boats

Mattlikesbikes

Ralph,

I plan on joining the Sail Club in the next few weeks.  I will say there are a lot of Com-Pac's on the lake.  I met another new CP19 owner last week who just bought the boat and put in last week he is on B dock  I am on C dock and there is another 19 on c.  I probably have the most run down CP19 on on the lake but she sails good.

Ralph Erickson

Matt, your boat looks great in the pics! You should have seen mine when I bought her. Did a lot of work but it was a labor of love. By the way, I'm on N dock. You'll enjoy the club, lots of great folks and the activities are fun. The Com Pac fleet even gets together once or twice during the winter at a restaurant.  I'll look for you on the lake!

Ralph
CP19II #347
"Patricia Lee"
www.sailaway.smugmug.com/boats

jthatcher

Looks like a great community on Nockamixon..   if any of you folks  are getting the urge to roam..  see  Bob's  announcement for   BBB 13..  it would be great to see some new faces on Barnegat Bay   in August..   jt

Gil Weiss

Hi Matt,
Welcome to this forum and to Lake Nockamixon. My CP 19, #184, is also a 1983 model. We just celebrated her 30th birthday.
These are really nice boats. I hope to see you on the lake this year.

Regards, Gil