a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

lifeline replacement

Started by fasteddie, April 11, 2013, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasteddie

id like to replace my lifelines on my 82, they are original and cracked, is there a better solution than going through hutchins?
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

skip1930

Sure, to Ace Hardware, or W.W. Granger, or West Marine, check the catalog for exact replacement. It's there. Maybe a 'big box' store. A 'Co-Op' farm store.
It's common  x? strands of stranded coated ss wire.

It's also a good idea to grab two 1/8 inch collars [and a 1/16" Allen key] and slide them down the port and starboard cables to clamp the cables at the backside [most stern side] of the last stanchions before the opening created by the pelican hooks when undone for easy access onto the boat. That way the cables don't sag when looking forward.

Goggle it?  I like the DEADEYES as seen on VIPERSDAD below.

skip.

marc

Are you referring to the plastic coating being cracked? I had that and just took a knife and sliced the coating off. My preference is to have uncoated wire for lifelines anyway. That way you can see the condition of the wire and know when you have to replace it for safety reasons. Used a little bit of Bar Keepers Friend to shine it up once I peeled the plastic coating off.
Marc

MacGyver

Fasteddie, I second Marcs answer, but also if you wanted to replace them totally, you could use line and some SS hardware by CS Johnson company.
That is my plan, I plan to use AMSTEEL for the "cable replacement part"

Also DEFENDER.COM has the option to have them make your lifelines.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

fasteddie

Thanks everyone, several choices, i even saw west marine has a new type of rope lifeline. Great Sailing Ahead !!
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984