a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

6.1 with 4 on board!

Started by Matt C, March 16, 2013, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt C

Took my 2 month old "Enaba" out for a sail on Sarasota Bay yesterday, first sail after adding a boom vang.   My wife, her sister and sister's husband were aboard.   Mid 70's, not a cloud in the sky...great day for sailing.  Winds started out light, 6 to 8 and variable, so it took us a couple of hours or so to casually work our way up wind about 2.5 miles while we ate lunch. In the process we passed Sunfish and Flying Scot ( I think, they were farther away) fleet racing out of Sarasota Sailing Squadron, and had had a great view of Sunfish at the the windward mark rounding.   Wind started to pick up as we turned back for a  broad reach back to the ramp.  Kept building in fact.  (Weather web site  I checked later said 14 with gusts to 18).  Made it back in 30 minutes, GPS maxed at 6.1 (going down a wave albeit) but we had sustained speeds in the mid 5s. What a great ride!  This would have been a but of a white knuckle ride for my wife in our previous boat (Capri 22) as she would have had to manage the jib, etc. And my sister in law, not really a sailor at all, thought it was great.  My wife's  comment as we got back: "I really like this boat". Doesn't get much better that that.

I'm used to a vang in my previuos boats, but sailed the Suncat a few times before deciding to add one.  Really makes a big difference I think.

bfelton

Do you have mid boom sheeting or is it off the aft end of the boom?

Bert

Matt C

End boom, which I admit does open up the cockpit nicely, but produces lots of rise in the boom when the boom is out.