a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Good deal on Claw Anchors at Defender

Started by Salty19, March 15, 2013, 10:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Last Friday night the admiral and I tossed the anchor to spend the night in a little cove at a small lake in Central FL. At just about sunset the wind kicked up and we found ourselves on the windward side of the shoreline unexpectedly. Our danforth didn't hold us. We struggled to pull away from the shoreline and couldn't get moving fast enough with no steerage speed - we blew into the reeds (and we had listened to alligators all afternoon croaking in those weeds!) so I jumped in and pushed the boat out. A few very short tacks and we ended up back in the reed bed. Finally, after another physically demanding "launch" we tacked our way out of the mess and broke free.

NOW... I can't say as I can blame the danforth completely as the wind clocked us about 60 degrees. However, that's about my third or fourth experience with a danforth anchor breaking free. I am seriously toying with trying out the claw and just see what happens. I have about 10 feet of chain and lots of three strand on my current rode. I had quite a bit out - I didn't measure it, but we were swinging on a lot of line because it felt like forever to get it all back on the boat. Not sure why it's not working for me. Mucky bottoms on these Central FL lakes - maybe that's why the flukes of the danforth aren't biting enough.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

capt_nemo

Ted,

I'm not surprised at the Danforth dragging with only 60 degree wind shift in a soft bottom.

One possible explanation for the Danforth dragging in loose mud is the shallow set angle of the flukes on a standard Danforth. As I recall, the Aluminum Fortress Anchors (Danforth type) have ADJUSTABLE fluke angles for just that reason. You can disassemble them and reset the flukes to a greater set angle for soft mud to get them to bury better and deeper. Check them out if you like Danforth types.

That said, I strongly recommend an appropriately sized Claw type anchor with at least a boat length of chain leader on your nylon rode.

Hoping that you NEVER, EVER, drag again!

capt_nemo

Shawn

" As I recall, the Aluminum Fortress Anchors (Danforth type) have ADJUSTABLE fluke angles for just that reason. "

Fortress has what they call 'Mud Palms' for their anchors. They actually recommend them for all bottoms. They basically just lift the front of the anchor up slightly so that the flukes angle down a little  (instead of laying parallel to the bottom) to aid in setting the anchor. The fluke angle when set does not change.

My Raya anchor has two attachment points for the rode. One is meant for mud bottoms as it increase the angle of attack on the anchor to increase holding. I've never needed that though.

Shawn

frank

Anchor talks tend to be like "politics n religion"....Everyone has an opinion.  My standard answer is "anchor with the design ya trust.....that way when its blowing 25+ you can sleep"

Sounds like you can't sleep!!!

Try a 22lb delta with 40ft of chain and 7-1 scope!!

Nighty night   ;-)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Allure2sail

My setup....
On my C27 I have a 25lb danforth but with 75 feet of chain (wish I had bought a 100 feet). It got to be a little to much to haul in so I ended up putting on a windless to handle it, never once have I regretted it. Setup never drags or pulls out. I think all the chain helps immensely. I usually let out all 75 feet of the chain and enough anchor line to allow all of the chain to lay on the bottom. I wish I had bought more chain because the windlass doesn't like the line but loves the chain (line sometimes slips or jams up in the windlass).
Bruce
S/V Allure