News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A Tale of Three Compacs (aka Salty and Billy's Big Adventure!)

Started by Salty19, March 08, 2013, 05:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Last week the Admiral and I had the pleasure of visiting the Tampa area where Compac adventures abounded.

Early in the week we were at a charity event, Music On The Bay.  Mostly drinking and listening to music on the beach, freezing our little tails off as the weather was cold for the area.  At the event, we bumped in "Luvinit" and his Admiral here on the forum.  Each of us wearing our Compac hats, we instantly bonded while chatting. about sailing and important matters like a sail to Key West and that he's related by marriage to Rich Hutchins.  Nice couple, hope I run into them again sometime.

Then we headed up to the Compac factory in Clearwater to say hello to Rich and Gerry and take a look around the factory. Not having been there before, I thought while I was in the area it would be fun to say hello.  Rich and Gerry were warm and welcoming, telling the story of our "Easter Egg" hull (we got a huge laugh out of that one!).   I told them to consider making more in the color as the response we've got on it has been overwhelming.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't.    Several yachts, 2 nearly completed Sunday Cats, a Suncat in process, a Legacy and a Picnic Cat where under construction or just about to go out the door. We exchanged goodbyes and moved along to another hotel further south on Treasure Island.

The real adventure was next, -- A SAIL WITH BILLY TO ANCLOTE KEY!!!!!!

Billy had reached out before we left home and offered up a sail, which of course we did not pass down.  We had kept in touch and decided that Tuesday would be the best day to go. The destination would be Anclote Key Reserve, being on the water around 10--10:30.  The admiral and I met Billy at his house, where we instantly made friends with Billy.  Excited about the days sail and to get to meet another fellow Compac-anaut, we fueled up, stocked the beer  and food cooler and headed off to the ramp!

After the necessary rigging was done, Billy backed down the ramp while the admiral and I tended the dock lines.  Just before casting off, wouldn't you know it..the outboard was stalling and would not start well or run reliability. We fussed with it, draining the gas. Bleeding the fuel line. Letting it sit with the intake valve open.  No tool for the spark plug, so we couldn't check it. So we drank a beer for good Karma and to give a moment to think about what to do, and maybe give it a last try in case the motor was flooded.  Nothing we did helped, so the decision was made. Two able bodied sailors and a second mate surely can sail without the motor, so we casted off with sails raised and made our way across current to the channel.  A favorable yet fluky wind brought us through the long and narrow channel, and despite very light wind and a 110% jib, we somehow defied the outboard god and made it out through the channel perfectly. 

A beautiful wooden Herreshoff H-28 sailed nearby, eventually passing us after we exchanged some dialog complimenting the captain on his fine yacht.

Since the forecast was for stronger winds, we had the aforementioned jib flying.  More speed would be made by flying the genoa, but a lazy sail was the order of the day, so we chose not to put up more canvas.  Plus the wind was supposed to pipe up, and we felt lazy.

Toasts were made, offerings of thanks in the way of CLR videos and koozies were made, and the "Toast Office" was a very happy place to be indeed.  Billy is a most gracious and accommodating host, the Admiral and I were truly thankfully to of met Billy, get to know each other and enjoy a little time out in the Gulf.

Salty (left) and Billy (right). Dead outboard (middle).

Despite some tacking, we never did quite make it to Anclote Key before it was time to head back.  Dodging shallow areas, we re-entered the channel and scooted back to the dock.  With no motor, and both wind and current to consider, Billy took us right in like an old pro.  With the wind and current pushing into the dock on our port side, the approach with tight quarter concrete wall--complete with plenty of bystanders and onlookers to enjoy the show, the approach was tricky at best.  Billy shot us right in, working as a team to drop sail at the right time and his local knowledge of the current. Timed it perfectly, and we declared outboards are overrated. 

After a nice guided tour of nearby Tarpon Springs, including a dozen or more Manatee's at the local park, Billy took us over to Tarpon Lake to dunk everything in fresh water to prevent rust on the trailer.   

Manatees hanging out in this protected inlet made for a nice ending to the day.

After exchanging our thanks and goodbyes, we enjoyed a nice sunset and dinner.

Billy:  Can't tell you enough how much we thank you for taking us out and showing around the area.  Hopefully we'll do that again sometime!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Wow! Great tale of a great trip! Thanks for making us Northerners jealous! Can't wait to meet Billy also if our trip south materializes.
Bob23

kickingbug1

mike talk him into the clr and carl can fix his motor
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

jthatcher

wow,, and i was just about to order that sail pro!   billy, did you figure out what was wrong with the engine?    it sounds like you guys had a great time.   thanks for the story and for the photos!  jt

Billy

Mike,
The pleasure was all mine!
Thanks for coming out. And Bob, you are next!

Pretty sure the problem with the outboard was old gas in the fuel line, a flooded carb, or a fouled spark plug. Haven't had a chance to look yet. It is a shame because that engine has been EXTREMELY reliable up until now.

I'd like to make the CLR but it is a bit of a haul from Tampa....
Maybe one of these years. Heck! If Bob ever makes it, I might just have to too.

ENGINES??? We don't need no stinking Engines!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

kickingbug1

heres another guy needs a good old cruise and carry
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Billy:
   Don't tell anyone but I make make a sneak journeyout to the CLR 2013. Won't be bringing a sailboat but maybe a new addition to my rowing fleet. It'd be a low budget trip...camping in a tent, eating at the campsite...you get the idea. But, not a word, ok?
   It's way too far for me to tow my 23. Now if I had a little 16.....!
Bob23

Salty19

Food for thought.  Kicknbug could probably pick anyone up at the St. Louis Airport-might be very cheap to do that, and there will be plenty of boats to tag along and sail with as the heart desires.  Why, there will be so many boats there, Bob, Billy.. I bet there will be a boat or two to camp out on if needed, and since several us are not paid in full on our member fees,  you might consider full waiver of the fees in exchange for grub and grog.

The reason I volunteered Kicknbug to transport from the airport is I just didn't feel safe sending Carl out to get you guys.

After all, if a guy sails his boat like this, imagine what he's like out there on the freeway.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Interesting.
   To most of us, it looks as if Carl is wedged between his bimini and the stern rail. But in reality, this is an advanced and little known helmsman technique known as "wake steering". As we all know, the boats hull speed is determined by her waterline length and a displacement hull is limited by getting "stuck" between her bow and stern wave. Using this method, which was pioneered by Dennis Connor, one leans out over the stern and yells at the stern wave to "go away" thereby increasing the theoretical hull speed of any displacement cruiser. When a companion can position himself similarly on the bow and scare the bow wave away, the possibilities are endless! Personally, I think this borders on cheating.
   And an interesting offer but I need the cash generated by extorting fees from new and unsuspecting members. And I wouldn't feel right showing up without a boat of some kind. Sorta like going to dinner at someones house without bringing wine. Very poor etiquette and good etiquette is what I'm all about! But, it is an idea...thanks!
Bob23   

MacGyver

Thanks guys, I needed a good laugh this morning..... I slept rough, and lost EXACTLY A HOUR of sleep.  ;) ;)

There is a Metro link that goes from the Airport straight through to a place really close to us actually. Scott Airforce Base.
Avoids all the traffic in St Louis, and etc. :D

And the hotel if you choose to stay there is a short walk or ride up the road from the marina.  ;D

Options abound!

And now that I know this method Carl uses, I will have my eye on him during the CLR race, You know what they say, If you cant beat em! Join em!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tim Gardner

While a little gross, I thought he was calling for RALPH!  Or adding a little more wind to his sail. Very likely, from the expression on the Admiral's face.

But I guess that is a bit of a (too close for comfort)Close Reach.

Waiting for the public humiliation for my lower class humor, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Tim:
   I was thinking the exact same thing! But, in a rare moment of self restraint, endeavored let someone else speak the truth!!!!
Bob23

crazycarl

i reserve the right NOT to comment as i have embarrassed myself too many times already.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

if im driving to the airport you are not wearing that coconut bra