Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Problem with out board!

Started by Glenn Basore, March 05, 2013, 10:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Brackish,

"How do you stop condensation?  Don't allow any surfaces to be free to condense water from the air."

Another thing to do with a single cylinder engine is after you shut it off slowly pull the starter cord until you feel compression. That way you are leaving the engine with both valves closed to prevent condensation within the cylinder.

Shawn

MacGyver

The answer to the condensation problem is actually FOGGING OIL.
Comes in a spray can and you shoot it directly into cylinder through plug hole.
Turn engine over a few times to ensure good coating.
Done.

I use it every year on several engines. The can I have I have had for a few years.
The oil smokes a little at start and is gone with the wind.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Shawn

Mac,

Yup, I fog the engine after the end of the season but it is not worth doing it during the season. After fogging I still turn engine so that it is on the compression cycle to keep oil in the cylinder.

During the season pulling the starter cord to get to the compression cycle after every shutdown can work well.

Shawn

Bob23

Shawn:
  I do the exact same thing. After bringing Miss Nissan home, she's run in a barrel of fresh water for about 20 minutes. Then, while still warm, I change the lower unit gear oil (every year, I know that's probably over kill, but then I can see if I have any water intrusion...none so far.) After that, she's restarted, warmed and the above fogging oil routine. When I've sufficiently fogged my backyard with smoke, the engine is run dry. When she's cooled down a bit, I pull the plugs, spray some more fogging oil in the cyclinders, pull a few strokes and hand tighten replace the plugs. I put new plugs in each spring.
   Before tucking her in for her winter hibernation, I check all the linkage, spray the motor down with WD or CRC or PB, wipe it down and do a general check and cleaning. She then is placed rightside up in my shed for her well deserved winter nap.
   Sounds like a lot of work but it really doesn't take too long. And it all pays off when she starts first pull next spring! With new fuel, of course!
Bob23

MacGyver

I must have been getting orders from my wife while on here, LOL

I sound like a jerk in that post and obviously didnt read the previous stuff very well (especially if I was getting orders, etc...)
Sorry bout that.

I second the compression stroke thing,  although I dont actually practice it. At work on all our engines we are on a schedule to start them minimally once a month and I do the same at home just for the hell of it.

I would assume a bigger problem in salt water area? As corrosion is worse.

That Fogging Oil I use just once a year in the winter time or motors that arent on the monthly list.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.