a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trim rings on outside of cabin for CP19

Started by lochinvar, February 27, 2013, 09:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lochinvar

I am on a quest to find either brass or bronze trim rings to go around the portlights for a CP19 or early CP23. I have seen some cut out of wood but don't want to go that way.

So on the outside I would have a slim trim ring to put the heads or the nuts of the screws that hold the portlights in.

Any help would be appreciated.

ALSO, looking for the teak trim on the cabin edges. Can't seem to find reference to it when doing a search in our site here.

I now have 2 Com-pacs, one CP 19 hull no 161, and a CP 23 that I am driving to Oklahoma to pick up from Davo.

Thanks to all.
-Shawn Fenwick

MacGyver

If you find the bronze rings let me know, I have been looking as well and havent found them either.
As far as the trim, which parts, inside or exterior?

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

The teak trim around the cabin are called Eyebrows.  Hutchins can supply them, just call and tell them you need eyebrows for a CP19. Don't forget the teak plugs.

As for trim rings, I've never seen reference to them-not to say they don't exist. I've read they are Perko brand, but can't say for sure. Suppose you could have a machine shop, sign shop, fabrication, etc can whip you up a set in whatever metal you wanted?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

Hutchins use to have a parts and price lists for all models made.
Perhaps they might fax over a fresh copy.

I have several lists in my three ring ships notebook. I'm sure prices are no good.
Yes, eyebrows are made of teak. Screwed on to cabin fiberglass and the screw heads covered by plugs.
If these still exist on your CP-19 they usually can be cleaned, sanded, and made to look like new. No need to take them off.

Brass or bronze rings? No. Teak rings yes. West Marine might still list them.

Buy a brass front door kick plate from Ace Hardware and jig saw out four rings.

Ports on the XL models will stick out about an inch. The XL liner is very thin and glued to the inside of the cabin fiberglass. Very easy to drill through the whole ka~bang if screwing on lamps, barometers, or hooks. Beware! Don't ask me how I know this.

Those models with 1" thick teak wood surrounds on the inside will have nearly flush mounted ports. All four inch ports are alike in thickness.

skip.

Billy

I saw a 19 on Craigslist in Hot Springs, Arkansas that had the trim on the exterior of the ports. I didn't think it looked right.

Kinda like the 16.....

Or the middle model 23s

Only seen it once though.

I would say contact Hutchins. They'll point you in the right direction.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

lochinvar

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.

Skip, the eyebrows on my CP 19 cabin were in the worst shape I have seen any trim. Pulling them off was necessary to even begin to try to rehabilitate them. It also did them in the rest of the way.

The hand rails on top of the cabin, I think I can fix them OK.

Looks like I'll be calling Hutchins. I'll look in the West Marine catalog for the Teak trim rings, It wouldn't be so bad with them.

I'll also look on the Craigslist in Hot Springs and see if I can take a gander at them. I think you are talking about Hot Springs AR, right?
I'll go look now. Thanks again.

Allure2sail

Hello:
Today I visited the Wickford Marine Consignment store in Wickford, RI and low and behold he has a number of port trim rings in what appeared to be bronze. Some were casting with no holes and others had mounting holes already drilled. I have no idea what the machined ones were off of but the blank ones are on a shelf with a whole bunch of other castings for the marine market. If you need more info call them with measurements or maybe even send them a paper template of the port outline. Just an idea...I have absolutely no connection with them but do buy an occasional item from the when the price is right. Notice I said IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT !!!
Best of luck...
Bruce