a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat Electric Start/Tilt

Started by NewtoCompac, January 20, 2013, 12:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewtoCompac

Is it possible to install an electric start/tilt motor on a SunCat?  Better yet, if anyone has done it and can send pics, it would be much appreciated.  I am seriously considering buying a SunCat, but need to know if this will work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob23

Hi Newto:
   If anyone has, they're probably here and will most certainly help you. I'd imagine with the proper motor mount and a not too heavy motor, it wouldn't be too  hard to design and build.
   Welcome to the site...I hope you can share about your sailing adventures.
Bob23 in NJ

capt_nemo

NewtoCompac,

Welcome.

As a proud (older) owner of a Sun Cat your post begs a question. That is, why is the electric start/tilt motor capability sooo important in your decision to buy or not buy a Sun Cat? The answer to that question could unleash a wealth of experience and helpful suggestions from folks that frequent this board.

Electric start capability can be found on a variety of outboard motors depending on size. I am not knowledgeable about built-in electric lift or tilt capability. However, if I found it necessary, as an engineer I would figure out a way to make it happen, with perhaps suggestions from the wonderfully helpful folks that frequent this board.

I have, in fact, seen various methods (mechanical not electrical) employed to lift up a somewhat heavy motor on a Sun Cat. I manhandle a YAMAHA 4 stroke 4 HP Outboard on my Sun Cat, which is more than adequate for the application.

So, what are you waiting for -  GO OUT AND BUY YOURSELF A SUN CAT! You will be ever so glad you did.

capt_nemo

shamblin

i bet after you have your suncat for a year you will be more interested in a light adequate motor that you can easily attach or remove from your boat without hurting your back.   i bet you will want the engine to be light enough to ride down the highway attached to the motor mount.   

i would call the factory as they offer a couple of different motor mounts and have thought through most of these issues.   

i am not aware of motors with power lift and tilt that arent too big.   i could be wrong though.  we are glad to have you 8-)

NewtoCompac

Thanks for the encouragement guys!  I have a shoulder injury, so pulling the starter cord and lifting/tilting the engine up on the mount is not an option for me.  Please keep the ideas coming...

Rahn

My second Suncat (don't ask) came with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke with electric start. It did not have electric tilt but it was a large, heavy motor and it didn't affect sailing performance too much, so it is possible (IMO).

I did change it out for a 6hp Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp which worked much better.

I now have a Yamaha 8hp on my Horizon Cat with electric start but not tilt but I know it is an available option.

skip1930

I'm thinking that to get both an electric start and an electric tilt on any outboard motor is typically reserved for the larger O/B's. How large? Usually too large for the Sun Cat. The more weight in the stern, a greater tendency to sail slower. How big is too big? I don't know.

We are not talking about electrically lifting the motor mount, just electrical tilting the engine on a manually lifted mount. One could bolt on a electric screw jack from a wheel chair to drive the mount up and down.

Didn't somebody on the sight hang a 15 hp [?] with electric start and electric tilt on the stern of a CP-16 about a year ago?

skip.

Rahn

Another thought would be a Torqeedo electric motor. Expensive but certainly enough to get on and off the water and 40 pound weight.

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/

Salty19

Garelick offers both hydraulic and electric raising motor mounts.  They are pricey, but do the motor lifting for you.

As for starting, in general, the older 2 stroke motors are very easy to pull start.  The newer 4 stroke motors are more difficult to pull.   Without an injury, it's almost a non-issue, but with one could be a problem.

Are you in sheltered waters?  If so, might want to look into a large trolling motor and perhaps a hydraulic or electric motor mount.
No starting, just twist the handle to go.  Push a button to raise or lower the motor. 

Or what would be really cool is an electric or diesel inboard motor.   Space could be a problem, but with the will I'm sure it could be done.

Any of these options are going to cost significantly more than your standard 4hp motor and base mount.

I was going to suggest using oars, but if you have trouble starting a small engine, oars won't be easier.   

Do you any crew that can help?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

NewtoCompac,

The mention of electric trolling motors reminded me of a picture of a Sun Cat I saw with an electric troling motor on a custom stainless plate mount attached to the bottom aft edge of the keel. The motor itself was mounted above the bottom edge of the keel which protected it from harm. Electric cord went up THRU THE HULL to a pair of deep cycle batteries.

Problems solved!

capt_nemo

MacGyver

I dont have much to offer except similar to Capt Nemo, They do make bolt on electric motors for boats. You bolt and seal them to the hull and the cord comes into the boat. They can be mounted almost anywhere, and are mainly used on larger boats in the form of "thrusters".

I tell you Rahn, that tent like contraption on your boat has me thinking...... that is really cool.  ;)  ;D

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Joseph

NewtoCompac... It depends on what you'd want to do with the boat... on what kind sailing you like best. I sail alone and tow the boat fair long distances to go for week-long cruises. Hence, for an auxiliary I wanted something as light as it could possibly be (i.e., something that I could carry to the boat by myself) but also able enough so that it could get me out of trouble if needed. I did my research and opted for a 4HP 4-stroke Tohatsu. It was a toss between the 4 and the 6 HP, with the 5 in between, since they are essentially the same kind of engine. The fact that the 4 HP had an internal tank helped resolve the issue. BTW the Mercury and the Nissan are all Tohatsu's with a different sticker (and price...). I'd stay away from 2-stroke outboards; they pollute and are being banned from some inland waters. Electric is nice but I am not sure how they'd perform while trying to get the boat astern when aground...  Electric start is an option in most modern 4-stroke. Electric tilt... in my books it reads like an unnecessary luxury (aren't all luxuries like that...?) which could break, as most electric things tend to do, and then what... However, if you manage to get one it would make your SunCat quite different and unique...

Best of lucks!

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Salty19

Quote from: MacGyver on January 21, 2013, 08:20:10 PM

I tell you Rahn, that tent like contraption on your boat has me thinking...... that is really cool.  ;)  ;D

Mac

Nice, isn't it.  I've thought long and hard about canvas on our boats.  Apparently not enough because I'm still mulling over designs, and the cockpit tent we have now isn't my best work!

Ah, there is always another project to think about.

Instead of one big piece of canvas, one could use snap on, zipper on, or velcro on sides to allow panels to be swapped out (for rain vs. shade/venting) rather than use window panels.  Or use vent fabric with canvas over them (roll up to vent, roll down for cold/privacy/rain).
the idea here is versatility, to avoid having multiple tents for seasons and weather.  Having full sides will be terribly hot and muggy in the summer.

I was thinking about making a versatile tent top that would allow me to fasten two types of sides.  One would be no-see-um material for a highly ventilated yet bug proof enclosure (as proof as you can make it, surely it won't be perfect).  Another would have clear vinyl for rain and cold, with perhaps snap on or roll down sunbrella covering on the inside. That way if you need to take a cockpit shower or whatever, you can just roll down the privacy screen, but still would let sun in to keep the gloominess at bay. Plus you could see well to motor, watch anchor swing, etc.  Would be a lot less fabric to buy, store and sew, and would be extremely functional.  When just anchoring for an hour or two in nice weather, one wouldn't need to attach the sides, just the top for shade.  But then if rain came, make it so I could attach the vinyl sides quickly.

A good thought anything...one of these days I'll actually get around to do something about it!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Rahn

John Manson made it for my Suncat and I kept it after selling the Suncat and am using it with my Horizon Cat. I believe John posts here. If not, I can give you contact information if you want one for your Suncat. He's made a few during the winter months.

I put it up and leave it up all night when my son cruises with me but I take it down at night when I'm solo in case I have to move. It's a great addition to my boat.

Bob23

That is beautiful work. Cheapskate me, I use a painters canvas drop cloth drapped over the boom of my 23. Popped some grommets in it and it sorta works, kinda. It won't win any beauty contests. Not quite as complete as yours but more for some shade in the summer.
   No, I won't post photos of it!
Bob23