a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wiring Panel Woes

Started by MacGyver, January 14, 2013, 08:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I replaced my panel on the 19 a few years ago and Com-Pac didn't have a label for a "steaming" light but they did have one called "spreader" light so I went with that. After all the steaming light is level with the spreaders.

But I think the label is actually meant for a deck light mounted on the spreaders. But there is no way an oncoming boat would know the difference of what my switches are labeled. :)
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

moonlight

Been working, so not around; but just saw the need for different colored wires in different parts of the country!  Labeling ends with electrical tape works, in a pinch; those neat little label printers work really well too.  And not so much as a commercial plug, but I stock probably over 10,000' of marine wire in varying sizes and colors, so if you find yourself really wanting the appropriate, and only needing three feet, drop me a line and we'll work something out.

MacGyver

Finally settled on what I am going to do.

I will have a NAV switch that will end up being 3 position. OFF, MOTOR, SAIL
Federal regs say to MOTOR with bow and steaming light and stern on.
SAIL power is bow and stern light.

By switching the switch up one position, it will turn on the sail position first probably, then the next being motor, or vice-a-versa.
I need to draw my wiring diagram next on it all.

I will also have a ANCHOR switch and add a anchor light. That way the stern light doesnt have to be on since it draws bugs really bad.

INST which will be my instruments (Compass only for now)

and then a CABIN switch
Makes 4 switches total

I am also going to add a 12V socket.

Thanks for all the input, and MOONLIGHT, I will be in touch, so many projects going right now at one time, LOL

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.