a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Mounted Light

Started by Ted, January 10, 2013, 11:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip1930

That has to be true that, "One often overlooked negative aspect to LED's is that they are sensitive to lightening. A nearby strike can fry the circuitry in an LED."
At the airport where I work in Sturgeon Bay, everyday the runway, hi~low approach lights, lighted wind direction arrow, flashers and AWAS are checked and often our electronic boards are fried so these are routinely replaced. Funny the bulb never burned out is our 47 year old Cross Hines rotating green/white search light.

We collect a five gallon pale of burned out boards, solder in new ones, and make an insurance claim. It's just part of running the airport.

skip.

cycle

For an idea of cost, this is from my May 2012 superbrightleds.com invoice for all CP-19 LED bulbs.
(My CP-19 is circa 1982 - not sure if the newer ones use different bulbs.)

Jon

Original:

Qty   Class      Description   Manu   Model   Base
1   Navigation   Mast      Stanley   90 12V6CP   
1   Interior                   Cabin      GE   1141   BA15S
2   Navigation   Bow Red/Green   GE   1416   BA9S
1   Navigation   Stern      Norelco   212   
1   Navigation   Stern-pole      S90   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Bright LEDs, Inc.
4400 Earth City Expressway
St. Louis, Missouri 63045-1328
Tel:(314) 972-6200 Fax:(314) 972-6202

QTY DESCRIPTION PRICE AMOUNT
1 BA9s-xHP9: 9 LED High Power Bulb - BA9S-GHP9: Green 9.95 9.95
1 BA9s-xHP9: 9 LED High Power Bulb - BA9S-RHP9: Red 9.95 9.95
1 4410-x9: 9 LED Festoon bulb - 4410-CW9: Cool White 4.74 4.74
1 1156-x45-T: 45HP-LED BA15S Tower Bulb - 1156-WW45-T:1156 Warm White 24.95 24.95
1 1142-x45-T: 45HP-LED BA15D Tower Bulb - 1142-CW45-T:1142 Cool White 24.95 24.95
SUBTOTAL: 74.54
SALES TAX: 0.00
SHIPPING: 2.99
TOTAL PAID: 77.53
1987 CP19
Portland, ME

Ted

Great list. Not as expensive as I thought it would be.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

skip1930

The LED festooned lamp used on the red/green and stern lights of Com-Pacs fitted with Bosch lights.

nies

Is it possible to get LED bayonet style bulbs for nav. lights(Perko) or a bad idea ?

Bob23

I think superbrightleds has 'em. Again, Nies- welcome back.
Bob23

Salty19

Nies, I highly recommend the Dr. LED 41mm Nav LED lights (festoon style).  Defender.com has them.

It's critical to get the "warm" color light for the multi-color fixture rather than the "cool" style.
The warm color outputs a better color spectrum for the red/green lens to shine brightly.
The defender.com item number for the warm bulb is 701285

You can get the cool color for the stern white light.  I don't see that part on defender anymore but it's probably available elsewhere.

I also use an LED in the cabin.  Our cabin fixture uses the G4 style connections, which are basically two metal prongs.  had to search to find one with the pins mounted on the back of the LED array, rather than the sides, so the light pointed down properly. 

They are very bright, so far reliable but it's only been one season of use (we do use them!).
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

nies

Thanks everyone for the info, well try in the gargage some combos if the temp. ever gets back to 32. 20 below this week.............nies

Bob23

20 below? Nies, where do you live?
bob23
and I thought the 18 we have now was cold...I have no room to complain.

nies

Hayward, Wi, 50 miles south of the north pole or Duluth,Minn...........................every year about now we wonder what we are doing here , but to cold to leave and then spring arrives and we know why............living on a lake in the summer is what life on this earth is about............nies

skip1930

Indeed. Cold! Too cold to be messing around with light bulbs. Do these things even work this cold?

Our city switched over to LED in the stop lights to save juice only to realize that the lamps won't heat up enough to melt the snow or ice off the lens. And now were spending more money for weather shields and installations. Ahhhhh the marvels of the Liberal mind. No money in 'Going Green'.

Another frigid night is in store for Door County. And there's enough wind to go along with it to prompt the National Weather Service to issue a Wind Chill Advisory to be in effect from 9 p.m. Tuesday to 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Wind chill values will drop to 20 below Tuesday evening and fall to around 25 below by Wednesday morning. Wind chills in this range can produce frostbite in 20 to 30 minutes.

Temperatures are expected to warm into the mid teens Wednesday with a chance of snow showers Wednesday afternoon.

In Hibernation to be sure. All projects on hold 'cept cleaning up my desk. skip.

nies

Quote from: nies on January 22, 2013, 05:22:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, well try in the gargage some combos if the temp. ever gets back to 32. 20 below this week.............nies
.....................FYI......................found on Defender-Dr. LED the following which might be useful to someone....White LED bulbs should not be used behind colored lenses in nav. lights, only the corresponding colored LEDs should be used in nav. lights with colored lenses. Red LEDs with red or clear lenses and green LEDs with green  or clear. Do not use white LEDs behind colored lenses as they will not produce required brightness.....................thanks to salty 19 and bob 23....................nies

Salty19

To be clear, white/cool color for stern light, warm color for the bow nav light. If you have two fixtures from port/starboard bow lights, you can either use warm color in both or red in the red lens, green in the green.    Just don't use the white/cool in colored fixtures.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603