a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fixing Electronic Diplays

Started by Ted, December 25, 2012, 10:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

The boat I recently purchased had some electronics installed on it. There is a radio, autotiller, depth gauge, and speed indicator.

The radio is a story in itself (seems to work but has no microphone). The autotiller I already disassembled and found a stripped belt. I have one on the way and am 95% sure that when installed it will work like a champ. It's a T1000+ by Raytheon (Raymarine).

The two gauges work, but the displays are a bit messed up. I am attaching the picture, below. The one on the left appears to have moisture in it, but it might also be delamination. The one of the right has the look of glass that has been "crazed."  I would like to figure out a fix for these as there are custom holes cut into the boat to fit them. They work... so does anybody know if it's possible to somehow re-glass these?

Here is what they look like now:
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

mikew

Ted, It looks like UV rays from sunlight has crazed the lens on the displays. If your handy, it may be possible to separate the housing halves, look for small screws around the back edge of the unit. There would be a gasket in between both parts, then you could replace the front panel, and the gasket.
The glass/ panel is probably one piece. I would call Standard Horizon in CA and speak to the factory tech help line on the best way to procede, before you open it.  They may want you to send it to the factory for repair or they may not have any parts available for the older unit. Sometimes its just better to replace with new. Plan B - check e-bay for a similar working display, worth a try.

Mike

Ted

The eBay idea is a good one - particularly because I am in no hurry.

If I can separate the front cover I could attempt to carve out the cover with a dremel and then fab something new.

Thanks for the input!
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

skip1930

You might try 'sanding' the scarf out of the lens with jeweler's rough [sp], a polishing compound for glass.
With a lot of time, can't hurt it. Like the plastic covers for aerodynamics over automotive headlight covers.
Could start with tooth paste and a buffing surface on an electric drill.

What's to loose? Condonsation under the lens? park the head in a bag of white rice for a week or two.

skip.

wes

Ted - I'd call Standard Horizon. They were very helpful when I needed a replacement gasket for my long discontinued DS-45 depth sounder. Even though they no longer listed any spare parts, the nice lady said they would "look around the warehouse" and sure enough a week later a gasket arrived in my mailbox - no charge.

When I went shopping for a hand held VHF soon after, I decided to show my support by buying a Standard Horizon. Companies that give good customer service deserve to be supported.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Ted

Just to follow up on this older thread...

I took the items apart and found that the cloudiness was embedded in the LCD panel itself. There was to be no polishing or fixing on these babies.

Standard Horizon has gotten out of the business of manufacturing parts for these old-timers, of course, and they had none laying around the warehouse.

So... I guess I like 'em the way they are for now. I am keeping an eye on eBay...