a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Guzzler 500 Bilge Pump failure ?

Started by TR2020, December 29, 2005, 09:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR2020

Took boat out today...   first time in since April that it has been off its trailer.  After sailing around for an hour in steep chop went to get something out of port storage area and found everything floating in 3 in deep water....    I immediately started pumping the bilge pump....  No compression...  no water being pumped.  Fortunately I wasn't far from the dock and made it in with no problems...   I don't know where the water came from... but honestly I have not checked the bilge even when I took the boat out of the water last spring.  I can't imagine how that much water (10 –12 Gallons.. est.) made its way inside the boat.  I was able to pump most of the water out of the bilge with a kayak pump... pumping the water into a bucket and emptying over the side.   I thought maybe water was coming through the bilge scupper as it curls up a little and water easily sloshes past the rubber door.  This may be the case..  but it would have to flow uphill for a short distance to reach the bilge.  Plus there is a check valve at the bilge pickup.   Maybe the water got in the two or three times that it has been washed while on its trailer.  Also noticed that he water storage tank was half full and seemed to be wet in its locker.  Hey... I don't remember how full it was... but maybe if it was full it may have leaked 10 gallons.   Anyway tomorrow I will tackle the bilge pump.  Has anyone noticed any problems with their bilge pump ?   Looks like a well made pump (Botsworth Guzzler 500)... why would it fail ?

AT

I did not have any problem with the pump, but I have a hunch where the water is coming from. My guess is, it is making its way through the mast base into the under-V-berth compartment. I solved the problem by plugging the mast base with a suitable material.

TR2020

AT....

Thanks for your reply....   I was just wondering whether you made the Dry Tortugas trip when I noticed your post.  What an adventure that must have been!  Your photos are outstanding...  what a beautiful boat!  I hope the Eclipse served you well on your voyage.  

Well... do to my work schedule I have been unable to do any sailing since last spring.  Now that I have time I find that my Eclipse has sprung a leak.  It is hard to determine but I think the leak is near the aft end of the centerboard enclosure.  I called Com-pac and Gerry said bring boat in Tuesday A.M..  I had re-caulked mast, forward hatch, and spinlocks soon after purchasing the boat and have had no noticeable trouble there with leaks since then.

Hey...  can't wait to hear about your trip..

Tr2020