a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heater recommendation

Started by brackish, December 13, 2012, 08:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

I like to sail and do overnights in the winter and even though I'm in the South it often gets very cold at night.  On a recent overnight with the temps dropping to about 36F I got to try out a heater I bought for the boat.  It is a Brinkman Catalytic heater and it works great.  I looked at many that sit on top of a propane bottle, but despite most having some type of base they seem top heavy and tippy.  This one fits perfectly on both the cabin and cockpit deck and because of the low profile, wide, three point stance it is stable and stays put.  Only use it at anchor and don't use it for sleeping, just to take the chill off at night or in the morning while we are up and about.  Because it is catalytic it is very quiet and just puts out a minor glow, no flames, but does 3000 BTU's.  Bottle of propane lasts ten hours on low or about six on high.  As I recall, about forty bucks on sale

NateD

Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking for one that is more stable than the top-of-bottle types. I had a Big Buddy catalytic heater (with low oxygen and tip over shutoffs), but it was too big to really use on my CP23. Does the Brinkman have a low oxygen/tip over shutoffs?

brackish

Quote from: NateD on December 13, 2012, 04:40:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking for one that is more stable than the top-of-bottle types. I had a Big Buddy catalytic heater (with low oxygen and tip over shutoffs), but it was too big to really use on my CP23. Does the Brinkman have a low oxygen/tip over shutoffs?

No it doesn't.  When shopping I compared the Coleman Black Cat, Coleman Sportcat, and the Mr Heater little buddy.  The only one that had those features was the Little Buddy, but it was one that had a heater sitting on top of the bottle and a base under the bottle and cost about twenty bucks more.  I felt like those that used the bottle as a single point stand would be constantly tipping over with the slightest wave action.  I really don't worry about the Brinkman not having the tipover shutoff because I can't imagine it tipping over.  As far as low oxygen, I wouldn't trust any of these heaters in a completely enclosed space, sensor or not.