a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Posting Pictures?

Started by Glenn Basore, December 04, 2012, 04:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Gardner

Very Good explanation, Salty.  One other thing,  Way back in the past around 2009, out site was hacked and shut down for over two months.  How did they get in?  Through our onsite photo handling.  I spent that time in withdrawal.  And begging Kurt (CaptK) to get our site back up on HIS server.  He hosts the site for free.  He does so because the other Fleet Admirals (administrators) and I took over the day to day administration duties from him so our board does not occupy too much of his time.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Tom L.

Ok Salty and Tim. I owe you two and any others running this site an apology. Sooo I apologize. Being a really challenged pc operator it all seems simple but as I can see from your explanation it is anything but. I appreciate this site. I am relatively new so  will continue to chat and maybe someday I will get comfortable with posting pictures. I actually did it a few weeks ago I think using Tim's instructions but I lost the instructions and can't remember how I did it.

I do really thank you both for the work on this board.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Salty19

No apology needed, Tom...without a doubt it would be nice to make this happen and who can you blame you for wanting to make this a better place?!?!

Really, it's pretty easy once you get a hang of it. Contact me if you are stuck and I'll work anyone through it. There really are only three steps...upload the pic to a hosting site, reference and copy the right URL within that site, then paste it into a post here in CPYOA.   I'll click enter three times now and paste in a pic of our new 3 step lower ladder rung (no limits of picture quality either):

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

crazycarl

Great ladder, where did you buy it?

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Patrick

Guys, I greatly appreciate the help in trying to make it easier.  However that wasn't my point.  I've been mucking about with computers for fun and professionally since 1984.  I've got 2 different websites under my direct control, one of which already has a fully functional forum that allows for easy inline photo posting.  Its not that hard and doesn't cost that much.  I don't use advertising and I occasionally accept donations via paypal; mainly when the annual bills are due ($200 or so).

Its a PITA to upload to other site and cross launch.  I guess I'm volunteering to drive towards a better solution.  Some of the owners aren't even using this forum for that reason.

Its 2015.  If you need to have a tutorial and group of volunteers to educate users on picture uploading, its not a workable solution.  My opinion of course.

So bottom line, I'm happy to help effect a change in this matter.
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

Salty19

Quote from: crazycarl on April 03, 2015, 09:28:45 AM
Great ladder, where did you buy it?

CC

Gerry at Compac hooked me up with the longer ladder. Fits perfectly!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Defiant

I'm brand new to CPYOA but not new to sailing. I finally bought a Compac 16 after years and years of other boats. The Compac 16 was the boat I learned to sail on twenty yeasr ago in the Marines. I was so excited I came to the forum planning to post photos. I love to do boat projects and document them. Love sharing info. To a landlocked sailor, this can be the beauty of the internet.

But then I realized I needed a third party photo hosting site, and I have to put my stuff there, then ref it here :(
I completely agree---This is a PITA.

I belong to a lot of other sites and they all have limited internet photo hosting. This is not 2005. This is 2015. Today, there's no reason to host third party, unless you get paid from the third party hosting service for the traffic you drive there. I won't be posting third party. Which means I wont be posting much of anything here.

Bummer
New member turned away at the door....

Craig

It IS a pita. I learned to do it but the process is cumbersome compared to other sites. As a result, I don't post many pictures. Just my 2 cents worth.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL