a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rowing cp16

Started by jeffcom16, December 01, 2012, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffcom16

??? Can someone let me know if they have been successful in rowing their 16? and if so, what rowlocks and oars do they use and where do they install and stow needed equipment? just curious

Vipersdad

Here is a place to do some research.  I have spoken with him and plan to set up my 19 for oars next spring.

http://www.solopublications.com/sailario.htm

Vipersdad
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

MacGyver

This is a awesome Idea.......

Viper, once you get it setup please post your setup..... VERY INTERESTED in seeing this happen.

Looks like a great Idea to be utilized it the winds werent too bad to toss the boat around while trying to dock in a no power situation.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

kickingbug1

i too have thought about rowing my 16. i figure it would take at least 8 foot oars which would have to bee two piece affairs. this would give sarah something to do when the wind dies.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Greene

Ever the romantic Steve.

Mike and B
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Citroen/Dave

Has anybody thought of sculling a CP16? Boats were moved around the Chesapeake region by sculling before the outboard.  The length of a sculling oar might be prohibitive but the view would be better.

Citroen/Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Vipersdad

Sawyer Paddles and Oars

http://www.paddlesandoars.com/

I am considering some 11" wooden or compsite oars for my CP 19.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

jeffcom16

Quote from: Vipersdad on December 01, 2012, 10:20:43 PM
Here is a place to do some research.  I have spoken with him and plan to set up my 19 for oars next spring.

http://www.solopublications.com/sailario.htm

Vipersdad
this is unbelievable and just the kind of cool and useful info I have come to expect from most of the owners who occupy this website......now I have the basics to begin and see thru another project on my dream boat......the world famous compac16! thanks

kickingbug1

jeff, when you get the project done make sure to post pictures and if you could recommend the correct oars for a womans hands. oh boy today is her birthday now i know what to get her. this will equal a trip to kays jewelers.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Spartan

In issue #69 May/June 2011 of Small Craft Advisor is an article "53 days in a Com-Pac 16".  The author installed oars on his CP16

He also has a web site and there are many pictures on the site and a couple show the oarlock set up.

Here's the link to the site: http://www.adventurevista.com/Cruising-Florida-2010.php

Here is a picture from his web site:

Hope this helps
Cheers
Tom
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

newt

I have oars on my CP-23. I used to row quite a bit with my Catalina 27 (7000#) and if I was careful had no trouble getting in and out of the marina. If you have a dead on headwind however, forget it.  I use them most often to turn a little corner that always has a headwind, once around that corner (30 yards) the sail does the rest to the dock.

Jason

Hi Everyone,

Revisiting this topic.....I will be adding some oars to my 16 this spring.  I'm going to start with 7' oars; I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.  I'm going to mount SS side-mounted oarlocks with solid wood oars.  If it works well I'll post some pics, should be able to give em a try next month.  Stay tuned!

-Jason
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

Bob23

Jason:
   I think 7 foot oars are way too short. Maybe you can borrow a pair before you buy 'em. Before I owned my CP 23, I had a Seapearl 21 which I rowed. I believe the beam at the gunnels is about 56" and I had an old pair of 9 1/2' fir lifeguard oars. They may have been a bit long but I don't think I'd want anything less than 8 1/2' for the Seapearl.
   Seems that in order to get the blades in the water with 7 footers, you'd have the oars at a pretty extreme angle which might bring the handles kinda high.
   Rowing my 23 sounds like a neat idea but I have tidal currents to consider. I could barely row the Seapearl into an opposing current and that boat only weighed 600 pounds-less than half of the weight of the 23's keel!
   Being a rowing freak, I'm interested in how this plays out...keep us posted!
Bob23

Jason

I'll start with 8 footers then,  should be able to update on how they work in about a month.

Jason

Hi everyone, 

Tried out the 8' oars , worked great!   Becalmed conditions, no current, 2.5mph on gps was average , up to 3mph top speed but I wouldn't be able to maintain 3mph rate. 

Jason