a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cockpit cushions and bimini for sale

Started by bfelton, November 17, 2012, 06:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfelton

I have a complete set up cockpit cushions for a sun cat as well as a bimini for sale. The cushions go all the way around the cockpit and a white, and a closed cell foam. The bimini is blue and is in fairly good shape. Make an offer for one or both. They both came with the boat, my 2000 sun cat, and have seen minimum use.

Bert Felton

Tom Ray

I love the factory cockpit cushions and being in Florida the Bimini is a necessity.

I'm wondering why anyone would sell either? Do you plan on something different, or just like the stripped down look?

bfelton

I sail on San Francisco Bay and leave her in the water.  I made a custom boom tent which doubles as a sun shade.  I love the cushions but do not like the space they take up when stored below.  I leave a fair amount of gear below and want to have a place for two people to sit comfortably.

Bert Felton

MacGyver

Does the Suncat cushions fit a CP19?

My wife has been on my case to get a set....... LOL

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

bfelton

Salty19

Mac--I highly doubt they fit.  Each boat coaming is curved in a unique fashion.

think about getting Sport-a-seats instead of cushions.  Great back support, portable, comfy and much much less cost than cushions.
they work well for sitting up on the bow
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

Quote from: Salty19 on November 19, 2012, 02:44:58 PM

think about getting Sport-a-seats instead of cushions.  Great back support, portable, comfy and much much less cost than cushions.

Like this!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

brackish

Quote from: Salty19 on November 19, 2012, 02:44:58 PM

I have both, the cushions came with the boat, I bought the sport-a-seats.  Cushions are kind of more trouble than they are worth, but really like the seats.  Cushions restrict entry into the cockpit lockers and stuff slides behind, then under them and someone sits down and breaks same (two pair of expensive sunglasses in my case)  Plus if you leave them out in the cockpit for any length of time, they really dirty up the underside.  So you either have to stuff them into the cabin when you leave, or in my case, they spend a lot of time in the attic.  The Sport-a-Seats (mine are actually the WM version) are very nice and versatile.  We use them on the boat, and take them home, use them on picnics and at the beach.

MacGyver

We have a LLBean version, 20 bucks, has side straps, pretty neat!

We wanted those sporta seats...... but at the time I was spending a bunch on the boat.

Cushions will be in my future just because the wife wants em..... so one day, like everything else, she will get em, otherwise..... well, we wont get into that.....

Mac "I like living" Gyver   ;)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

bfelton

I sold the cushions, but the bimini is still for sale.

Bert Felton

capt_nemo

Wife and I made "custom" 5" foam cushions (4 pieces) for all around the cockpit, and indeed they are good looking and very comfortable.

HOWEVER, I find that when I'm out sailing solo, which is most of the time, they are a real PITA to handle, especially in accessing the cockpit lockers and in stowing them all below.

AND, if punching through a steep chop in brisk winds they do get wet despite the Sun Cat's reputation as a pretty "dry" boat. Salt water is definitely not good for fabric.

CONSEQUENTLY, the cushions are transferred from their semi-permanent storage location in our garage to the boat and used only when my wife accompanies me on a daysail in fair weather. The Porta Potty also accompanies the cushions on these occasions.

I DO USE a pair of small streamlined eliptically shaped padded multiposition folding seats with short backs, one on each side of the cockpit for ease in tacking, and find them quite useful and comfortable. The padded back against the slightly raised HARD fiberglass cockpit coaming is worth its weight in gold. Access to cockpit lockers is accomplished simply by shoving them out of the way.

IN SHORT, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO USE FOR LARGE FULL COCKPIT CUSHIONS!

capt_nemo

Salty19

Mac-- Ya gotta learn how to negotiate!!!

Convince her the sport a seats are more comfortable, stores easier, more versatile (bow riding, beach, sport events, etc) and gives back cushioning which as Capt Nemo said are extremely nice (those coamings get very hard, and with cushions there will be less upright area to rest your back on). And they are much cheaper!

With the money you save you buy her something else in addition. Maybe something else for the boat "she" wants. I'm sure you can come with with something. Cough, cough. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Glenn Basore

I like my factory cushions for my Eclipse  and I store them in the cabin between sails.

I wish they would have come with sides to give some back comfort, I usually throw a flat cushion behind my back.

I think the sports seats would be nice, need to price and find some to look at

Glenn . B

Eagleye

Quote from: Glenn on November 23, 2012, 11:22:16 AM
I like my factory cushions for my Eclipse  and I store them in the cabin between sails.

I wish they would have come with sides to give some back comfort, I usually throw a flat cushion behind my back.

Glenn . B

Glenn,
When we are lounging in the cockpit we use the back cushions from the cabin settees.  They seem to fit just right in combination with the waterproof cockpit cushions.   If the winds aren't too crazy we have even sailed with them using elastic Velcro straps to make sure they don't take off. 

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Glenn Basore

Allen.

Great idea!

Thanks for the picture. 

We have the same cushions design. I would be concern how well they would hold up being used in the cockpit area, some times I get ocean spray in the cockpit area or a good dowsing which gets me and everything else wet.

Weatherhas been nice lately, I might try to sail soon.............

Glenn B.