a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Plastic Motor Mount boards

Started by ontarioSuncat, November 12, 2012, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ontarioSuncat

I saw one break this summer and have heard of many others that have broken off just above the bolts. It does not seem to matter who the mfg was. I replaced mine with a wooded mount board. I figure it will show deterioration before it breaks.  I made mine from two pieces of 3/4 inch marine ply epoxyied together and coated with epoxy then varnish. Use the plastic one as a pattern then toss it in the recycle bin when done.
I would recommend that everyone replace the plastic with wood ASAP
Dropping your motor in the water is no fun.

wes

Wow. Not my experience - my 1988 Garelick mount with the plastic plate is going strong with no signs of failure or even stress. Had not heard of this being a widespread problem. Could this be related to motor HP? My little Tohatsu 5 HP is way smaller than the max rating of the Garelick mount.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

MacGyver

The issue is with the HDPE White ones, some are not true HDPE.

Over time the sun deteriorates the plastic molecularly, and on those white ones they are more susceptible for some reason.

The wooden ones deteriorate as well, in a different fashion, but most owners if smart will replace them at the first signs of issue and wood is a easier one to see what is going on.

IF the plastic mounts show sun rot, meaning cracking, etc..... then replace it.

I cant tell you that amount of mounts at the marina that I see where I know they need to be replaced...... but the owners keep using em...

Also, to help with not losing the engine, I tie a rope on my handle and tie it to the metal mount on the transom, or the stern rail mount at the back so it if goes, I can get her back no problem. :D

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

NateD

Its not just the white ones. A Sun Cat owner on the Trailer Sailor message board posted a picture of a broken black mount this summer (http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/843239). This is complete hear-say, but he says that he heard that mounts made around 2009 were prone to this problem.

My mount is from the early 90s, but I've still got a line running from the outboard handle to a sturdy Wichard U-bolt on the transom.

ontarioSuncat

THe black one I saw this summer that broke looked brand new. No sign of fading, no stress cracks, no possible way of knowing it was going to break. The engine was well within the specs of the bracket.
As previously stated wood will show signs of deterioration BEFORE it gives out.

sailen69

I used a motor mount stainless backing plate and a supposedly UV stable white plastic.  This is just an idea to share with all of you.  It could be used with wood also.  You can't fool with Mother Nature...

Salty19

I didn't realize the plastic versions are weak..seems like cheap insurance to make a new one.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

at least you guys didnt comment on how bad my original mount looks. but everyone comments (usually with a chuckle) on the outboard
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

MacGyver

The Black ones I have never seen break unless the bolts were tightened down too tight.

BUT that is not saying the Grain of a plastic mount isnt a issue. Maybe it is a combo of both.....

I bought plastic mount because I like em better than the wood ones, as they need attention.... but there is no substitute for having a savior line attached from engine to boat somehow.

And have you guys seen Kickinbugs Motor? WOW......Just WOW.......

Mac  ;D
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

I think Greene called that outboard "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" his first year at the CLR.   ;D ;D ;D
We all got a good chuckle out of it, and kicknbug is of course a good sport for putting up with the ribbing.
Which is a good thing, because we make fun of it every year.  ;D
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603