Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing off Ventura, Calif.

Started by Glenn Basore, November 03, 2012, 11:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

I had a pretty good sail today and it started with me rigging the boat solo and having her in the water in 45 minutes, i think I'm getting better at rigging!

Beautiful day, 70 degrees, clear skies, winds 8 - 12 mph, no white caps or swells.

I sailed for 5 hours with many other sail boats enjoying the weather. my top speed was 4.0 but it didn't last very long.

I did have a problem with my Gib sheet lines getting hung up, and after reading the post about the simple fix to this problem, I was kicking myself for not solving this simple problem weeks ago while she was sitting in my drive way!  oh well.

Sailing back into the marina I decide to sail right into the boat ramp finger slips insted of using my little 4 hp kicker to get me in and out of the dock. I dropped the main and used the Gib until I felt I could cost the rest of the way in with out the Gib. step off the boat unto the dock with bow line in hand and tied her up.

De rigging went smooth until I went to remove the head stay from the top of the mast, as I did so, I broke my wind indicator, that's number two now!

After an hour drive I arrived home and backed my boat back onto my drive way where she will sit until next time.

I got to re read the post on the simple Gib sheet fix!

Glenn B.

Eagleye

Hey Glenn,
I'm glad to hear your still sailing.  70 degrees! Wow.  I'm hoping for one more day in the mid 50's to get my last sail (or 2) in before we tuck the Madame away.  I did a single handed rig and sail a few weeks ago.  It was an incredible experience and a good story.  I'll put that up in a few weeks as soon as things slow down a bit.  (Who am I kidding).   :-\

Congrats on your non-motor docking.  That must have looked slick!  I usually drop and tie up the sails in open water before I get to the dock.  If someone is with me I'll take care of as many details as I can while they are slowly motoring in.  It makes it less to deal with at the ramp and takes my mind off the fact that the sail is over.
But it has been on my list for things I would like to perfect in case the motor died. 

Fair Winds,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Glenn Basore

Allen,

My biggest concern is judging my glide or stopping distance after furling the jib. My other boat (Hunter 170) I could judge pretty good but it was light and nimble enough I could turn away from the docks if I got in trouble.

The Eclipse is slower to respond (especially at slow speeds) with a lot more inertia behind her.

I got to find that earlier post on theJib fix today, I want to concentrate on getting that installed soon.

I think I'm sailing (on another friends boat This Wed. weather permitting. he has a small Montgomery.

I do the same thing as you as far as prepping what I can before docking. even solo using the tiller tamer I can get a lot done. I have a Canadian Tiller tamer which really works good.

I wish I knew how to post pictures on this site, I tried once but it was so difficult for this old brain to work through it I gave up.

Let us know if you get anought sail in before your season has inded.

I just got done washing her and getting her put away for awhile.

Glenn B.