a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rudder clean up on 1982 compac

Started by fasteddie, October 30, 2012, 11:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasteddie

just purchased a great 1982 compac, with new sails, cdi furling,lazy jacks, furler sock, elec bilge pump,solar charger, 4 hp nissan like new, one different aspect of the boat is that the main sail control or block is mounted over the cabin head on a stainless bracket, it seems to work well, also has a pulpit added on, there are pictures of it from about a year ago, on the compac site, i guy named Peter owned the boat, has anyone seen this setup on any other compacs?  my question is my rudder which i guess looks like fiberglass is full of a rough buildup, probably old barnacles? should i lightly sand it down and apply anti fouling paint to it ? Also, the hull has places where the anti fouling paint flaked off, should i lightly sand these spots and reapply the anti fouling paint,do you need several coats ??
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

Bob23

I don't know about the rudder but I know the boat and Peter. He, his wife and I enjoyed a great saturday afternoon sail a few summers ago that gave me the platform for a great story I wrote and had published in Messing About in Boats. He did a wonderful and well thought out job improving that boat...you got a good one, Eddie. The stainless bracket is really Peters take on mid boom sheeting, something that should improve the performance on any sailboat. Peter has lots of experience sailing and if he suggests an improvement for my 23, I'll listen.
   For your rudder, sure- sand those left over barnacle spots off. But if they're too deep, you may need to reglass the blade to get a smooth surface. Maybe then you should apply a barrier coat and then the hard bottom paint. Same on the boat...I'm sure that Peter will chime in here with his 2 cents.
Bob23
(ps: Peter also knows how to pick out very good pizzerias!)