Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spacer in mast at spreaders?

Started by marc, October 11, 2012, 05:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

Hi All,
I'm getting ready to cover the boat for the winter. The mast is my ridge pole. I've removed the spreaders themselves and now just have the sockets at the mast. I think those may interfere with the tarp and I've been thinking about removing them. Before I do that though, I want to make sure I won't be allowing a spacer within the mast to get away. Don't see how a spacer could have been put in there in the 1st place, but I thought I'd ask before I do something I may later regret.
Thanks for the input.
Marc

Salty19

It's just a long bolt..no spacers.  Do you get a lot of snow?  If so rethink using the mast as a ridge pole.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

brackish

There  is definitely a spacer in the 23 mast. The hole on one side is large enough to slide it in, but the other side is too small for it to come out.  It reinforces the mast at that stress point.

marc

Thanks for info guys.

Salty - Don't think snow will be a problem. I've got the mast supported at the tabernacle & both ends. The boat is parked in my driveway so if I do get concerned I can just step outside with a broom.
Marc

MacGyver

There was a spacer on mine also
I had mine apart earlier this year

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

That's really odd..had mine apart last year--the bolt was bent and no spacer.   Maybe just didn't notice it, or could have fallen out. Hmmm...maybe I outta check that out again to see what the deal is.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

One hole was larger than the other
Also my bolt was bent too.
And the spreader mounts so i straightened them.

Odd that it bends............had it bound in the tube like spacer.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

marc

Took out the sockets. No spacer. Holes on both sides of the mast are just the size of the bolt. Found a problem though. I have a dent on the port side of the mast immediately above the hole for the spreader. So now I have 2 questions. Did this happen because the starboard upper stay was too loose? Second question - How worried would you be about this? Photos below.
Marc

MacGyver

Someone tightened it.down way too tight

You could try to use a punch through the other hole and knock it back out
Or leave it........

I Myself would probably try to gently get it pushed back out with a punch

That is why they put the spacers in most likely.....

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

marc

Mac, Gently tapped with no results. Looking closer, there is a tear in the aluminum. You can see it in the 2nd photo at 4 3/4" on the ruler. Think I need to have a rigger take a look.
Marc

skip1930

I'm thinking the two spreaders held onto the outside of the mast ought to be 'floppy' tight.
These should be able to move around at the outer ends. And kind of snug at the mast.
Once the mast is up a long boat hook can be used to slide the spreaders up or down on the standing rigging until the spreaders are horizontal.
At that point the tension can be adjusted or readjusted at the turnbuckles.
REMEMBER to sight up the mast when laying on the vee birth and looking through the deck hatch. What actually can be seen are the shrouds imposing 'kinks' onto the mast. The mast ought to be straight. No kinks. And when under sail, the lee side is a little slack while the windward side is taught.
This is all easy to do and nothing fancy about it.

skip.

MacGyver

Might be a good idea, could possibly be repaired.

Sometimes companies wont repair them with Liabilities in mind.

If you need to purchase a new mast (doubtful, I have seen some bad rigs still standing and sailing them every weekend....)
you could purchase frome DWYER mast company

https://www.dwyermast.com

Not sure on costs, as it would be shipped... but a option none the less.
all your current pieces could be purchased also, but I would just use the old ones unless they are worn badly.

A welding company could probably weld the up or any issues after it is banged back out.
One thing to note on Aluminum, As it is welded, it is crystalized, and so Aluminum only welds a few times, like 2 or 3, before it is a mess......

You could also fix it with JB weld, Sanding the area really well, JB it, then sand to profile, then drill, re attach bolt, being sure to not overtighten, and you would be good to go.

It looks as if the SS piece pushed into the mast, causing that to happen. I am pretty positive from overtightening.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

No need to weld this aluminium mast. Why imbrittle the metal and have a ugly globby weld job? And the anodized coating will be lost. If the dent is a bother then place a fender washer 'tween the spreader socket and the mast. Bolt the assembly together and go sailing. 'Don't squeeze the water out of the fasteners'. That will hold the spreader socket [plus thickness of washer] off the mast. "Can't see it from Brussels".

skip.

A Palmer Johnson Yacht being built in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin; One of two 210 foot-Positive displacement hulls, being finished for some Russian buyers. Twin bow thrusters and stern thrusters, ALL Aluminium with Al Grip [bondo] above the waterline. No Al Grip under waterline. Two Mann diesels, V-16 with Twin Disc transmissions. Had to take the door off the Assembly barn cut cut the valance higher to the bottom of the rafters and cut holes clean through the decks to lower the engines, mufflers, transmissions and generator sets into her bowels. Funny thing is the Russian buyers can't get visa's to come watch their boat being built, so they hired an Austrian to watch and report back for them. He just came back from a little side trip to Utah 'cause he had never been there before.

marc

The dent doesn't bother me - well it does but I can overlook it if I try hard. What does bother me is the idea that the mast strength may be compromised. I can do a washer or JB Weld but am I just ignoring a problem I should be concerned about?
Marc

skip1930

Have not lost any strength in the mast. Mast is still straight. Un kinked.
The mast still has that unmolested center roll in it.
The fender washers only reposition the sockets flat on the mast. Which is what you want.

skip.