a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Can someone explain Reefing the Main

Started by Vectordirector, September 13, 2012, 07:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

I have never had a main that can be reefed.  I understand the principal as far as lowing the halyard and I see the hook on the gooseneck and the grommets in the sail.  What I don't get is the reefing line at the end of the boom and how it all comes together.  Could someone explain it in plain language or post close up pictures of the reefed main.  I think we could have sailed last week with a reefed main and a partially furled jib, but I didn't know how to reef and the owner's manual doesn't have any kind of rigging guide ( a serious oversight, I think, and one I will propose to fix in another thread).   
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

wes

Do you have an owners manual for your 23? There's a pretty good diagram in the appendix showing the factory's notion of how to lace and use the reefing line based on where they installed the block and cleats on the boom. Since the reefing hardware and the main outhaul hardware are all located in the area, the manual really helps sort it out. Of course there are countless alternate ways and variations, but the manual is a good starting point. If you don't have, let me know and I'll provide.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

EclipseGuy

I will not be able to do it this weekend because I am working on a house, but next weekend at Lake Monroe I will take some pictures of my reefed main so you can see how the lines are run.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

EclipseGuy

The reef line is run as shown in the link that Shawn shared.

I ran across this photo of us reefed. Unfortunately the photo shows the port side instead of the starboard side (where the cleat for the reef line is), but at least you can see what the sails look like reefed.

In the photo you can see that we hooked the tack of the main to the gooseneck, and the clew has the reef line run like it is in the link that Shawn shared. There is a cleat on the boom that you tie the reef line to (also shown in Shawn's link).

We then tied the two grommets to the boom as well. This helps keep the extra sail material up and out of the way of our vision.

Reefed sails lose their sail shape so they often look baggy.

Also, we typically move the headsail sheets inside of the shrouds when we sail with a reefed headsail (although in this picture we had them on the outside).

Vectordirector

Thanks guys, when I get the boat out of storage I'll have to study what hardware I have on the main.  I honestly don't remember there being a cleat on the boom but i've only had the mainsail cover off once for the driveway sail.  I do remember seeing a small block at the back of the boom and a small black line that didn't appear to be attached to anything except the grommet at the clew.  I also have to figure out the outhaul and the Genoa tracks.  From  what I have been reading they are used to flatten the jib when needed.  so when you are furled, they need to move back and the jibsheets are run outside the stays?  Light air would be the opposite?    This was all easy to figure out on the Hobie, I wish it was explained in the manual for the Eclipse. 
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Salty19

This setup is working really well for me on a CP19.  Your mileage may vary. No reefing lines...

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

EclipseGuy

Salty,

That looks like a simple way to get rid of the reefing lines. Unfortunately Dragonfly doesn't have a loose-footed main, so I don't think this would work for me.

Next year I might play around with my main and see how it goes if I change it over to loose-footing. I would love to get rid of that reef line, so if things work out maybe I can do something similar to what you did.

- John

Salty19

Sure it would work.   Just don't slide the bolt rope within the foot into the boom slot, and presto..loose footed.

OK..it's not optimal vs a real loose foot cut main, but I bet you'll be able to tell the difference even with a standard sail.

The only downside I see, and this may not even be a problem, is the extra strain created at the clew by moving to loosefoot, consequently this may put forces on that area which the sailmaker didn't have in mind and stretch, strain or tear the fabric.  I never had a problem doing that, even strong winds everything held fine, but also can't speak to long term longevity, only a couple of seasons of use.   I imagine this would depend mostly on the sail construction itself. Our "real" loose foot is reinforced heavily in strain areas.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

EclipseGuy

Hey Vector,

It was VERY gusty during our Lake Monroe sail over the weekend, so it was an excellent opportunity to take a picture of the reef line.

In my previous post I incorrectly mentioned that the reef line runs external on the boom to a cleat. I must have been thinking of one of my other sailboats when I said that. The reef line on the Eclipse actually runs inside the boom, although it is still rigged up the same way. It is just internal.

The odd thing about the Eclipse is that there wasn't really a proper access hole in the sail to tie the reef line to the boom. The line should be tied so that it pulls down and aft at the same time (as seen in the drawing in previous post), otherwise the sail will lose shape. this means that it should be tied to the boom in some way, then go through the reef point, then aft into the boom. Luckily the fitting for the main sheet lines up perfectly with the reef point, so I tied mine to that fitting as seen in the picture below:

The line runs through the boom and comes out near the gooseneck, next to your outhaul, where it is locked in place when in use.

Over the weekend I learned that the reef line is actually too small in diameter for extremely heavy winds. I was sailing in extreme gusts with just the reefed main, no headsail, and the wind was gusting so strong that I had my rail in the water. The reef line slowly slipped loose in this extreme wind because the lock couldn't get a good bite on the line. This is the heaviest wind I have sailed the Eclipse in, and this is the only time I have had this happen. The reef line should be a larger diameter if sailing in extreme winds.   

Vectordirector

Great info, thanks, but I think my boat is set up a little differently.   Probably the difference between 2005 and 2009.  I'm going out this afternoon and I'll take pics of the boom.  Winds are supposed to be light so I won't need the reef.   I haven't had time to really study it, but my reefing line is currently tied in a big loop at the end of the boom and just hangs down in the way while sailing the boat.  My guess is that the previous owner never messed with it.  I like the line and padeyes on the mast and cabin.  I may try this, but I'm afraid of drilling holes in the boat.  I'm thinking a 2" wide piece of velcro wrapped around the hinge might do the trick.  Maybe 3" if I can find some.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold