Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

what to use to repair a large crack?

Started by Stephen, August 31, 2012, 03:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Hello Everyone,
I have a 19 and I bought 2 ratchet tie downs from sams (large) just to hold it on the trailer but my son took it out and it came back with the strap so tight that it cracked the hull under the port side bunk,where it rests on the trailer bunk. I am going to remove the plywood and enough foam to repair the crack (about 8 to 10 inches long) I was thinking of taking 2 or 3 peaces of allthread to add to the fiberglass to make the repair ,but I am wondering if some maple or oak might be better,I know I need to repair it from the out side too.
what do you think?

shamblin

i am used to thinking that a fiberglass hull with a cannon hole in it can be repaired.  probably there needs to be fiberglass or epoxy glass laminations inside and outside, which connect to each other so the patch is one piece, after taking the surfaces inside and out down to the fibreglass. the hull might need to be stressed during the repain to pull the crack back into line.

if it were mine, i'd consider having having something this big/important done by a professional with a layering method and not a chop-gun?   

MacGyver

Whoa..........thinking way too much i believe

Stephen. I am a repair tech at a marina. I also own a 19.
Please email me at dtjasondavis@gmail.com your phone number to call you at.
Also would it be possible to call you at that number after 9 pm central time? Or is it Verizon? My wife has used up all of our plan minutes this month.........

Id rather talk you through a easy process than see you go thru all this extra for something i think will be very simple fix.

Jason
MacGyver
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Actually if you could email me pictures first so i have a excellent idea of whats going on.

Jason
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

Yes, hold it closer to the phone so we can look at it. A picture please.

It sounds like you cracked the 20 ounce woven fiberglass matt resign impregnated construction of the hull.

1~ A leak can not be fixed from the inside [non pressure side of this crack]. U.S. Navy dictum.

2~Grind out the offending area and use West System resign to fill the crack in. Cleanliness IS everything. Maybe Marine-Tex?

3~Don't go overboard on the fix. Fill the crack, sand and paint her. I'm afraid that a application of resign impregnated matt with out the benefit of a mold will lead to a mess.

4~Smoothing and feathering of this matt into the gel coat will never be 'unseen'. But laying in resign bead will be fine. And all that is needed.

5~The hull is not 'oil canned' is it? If it is push or jack it back into shape. Drop the hull bunk on the damaged side and let her sit on the keel and rollers.

6~Why would a wood anything be necessary for a crack in glass?

But then again. It's your boat.

skip.

" I am going to remove the plywood and enough foam to repair the crack (about 8 to 10 inches long) I was thinking of taking 2 or 3 peaces of allthread to add to the fiberglass to make the repair ,but I am wondering if some maple or oak might be better,I know I need to repair it from the out side too.
what do you think? "

What plywood? What foam? And why steel? Do you realize how strong resign is? Your just keeping the water out and maintaining the shape of the hull. I'm thinking this area is not a high stressed area, like maybe a chain plate anchor point...even those aren't that reinforced.

Stephen

I will be able to take pictures on tuesday