a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

manual for cp 19

Started by fasteddie, August 24, 2012, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasteddie

just bought a  1982 cp 19, where can i get a manual for it ?
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

skip1930

Com Pac or I could mail you a copy of mine. Private mail me, send a message.

skip.

Welsh Dragon Forge

Is it worth having? I see they are $19 onlne.

Billy

Quote from: Welsh Dragon Forge on August 24, 2012, 12:09:27 PM
Is it worth having? I see they are $19 onlne.

I have mine. And I while I think Com-Pacs are just about the best value you can get in a boat, the Owners manual is not. Especially at $19

It just has a few pictures, the specs (which you can easily find on line), and a brief write up about the boat. Nothing about maintenance or anything a car owners manual would have. It is more of a brochure than a manual. Of course I could be confusing what I have w/ a manual. If so, then please ignore my post.

Skip, haven't you posted it here on the forum before?

Either way I think you can find more info than you will need here on this site using the search feature at the top of the page.

Congrats on the CP19!!! Where do you sail? I have an '83 hull number 35 (I think).
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MacGyver

I am turning mine into a pdf right now.
Probably have it on my photobucket later if you want it.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Guys-

Be careful about distributing printed material.  If you violate a copyright and Hutchins chooses to do something about it, it's your hyde.  However if this forum is used as an avenue for distribution, now it's everyone's problem..especially our fearless leader CaptK.  This could put our forum at risk of being shut down, fines imposes, etc. This is serious business folks.

Now I don't know if this is copywrighted--my manual is not with me, so I'm not sure if that is the case.  And I don't know if Hutchins will care, but since they are a business and are there to make a profit selling them for $19 a piece, if they know we are giving away their manual for free, I doubt they would be too happy about it.

While I don't believe we have a forum rule about this, let me be clear about actions we'll take if you violate a copyright law, or any other for that matter, using this forum.

If you distribute copywright material, a violation of US laws, via assocation with or direct use of this forum your account will be locked and you'll be banned for life .  Period. End of story.

Please think twice before you do this.

I'm not calling Hutchins to ask about this, but others are free to do so.  If they OK with private distribution, I want to see written confirmation from them that this is OK to allow this behavior on the forum.  This would be the only reason to allow this.

P.S.  I'm not trying to be difficult.  This is a legal matter and it's the job of your fellow admins to keep things on the straight and narrow.  
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

The handbook IS copyrighted.  Try not to bite the hands that feed us (Hutchins Co.)

$19 is cheap enough.  I've bought useless things for more $.

Good call, Salty

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

A little overboard here??  I'm sure most of the images used here not taken personally by the posting indivdual are copywrited.  My wife was a model 40 or so years ago.  I used several images from her portfolio some time back on this forum and I did got permission from the copywrite holder, the heirs of the deceased photographer.  However, most are just snatched from public domain but that does not mean that they are not copywrited, as is a lot of the copy that is posted.  Are we going to require all posters to verify their ownership or release?

The boat came with a manual, it was paid for in the purchase.  How it is replaced, as long as it is not being reproduced for resale or other commercial use usually is of no importance to the copywrite holder of the document.  I doubt Hutchin's is making money on the manuals.  I would think, knowing how they operate, they would probably say go ahead as a matter of maintenance of good will.  That is one of the things that differentiates their company from others.

If it is like my 23 manual it is terrible.  The value is that you can call and talk with Hutchins at any time about specific parts of the boat and they will send you free of charge drawings to illustrate their recommended action.  They did that when i needed to see the section detail through the hull to deck joint, slightly different on the IV model.  That drawing they sent me is also copywrited.

skip1930

" Skip, haven't you posted it here on the forum before? "

Nope, I posted only the wiring digram and my wiring diagram for proper steaming light control.

Through the snail mail is how I'd do it. And if the receiver wished to leave a tip, that would not hurt.
That's how 'guests' are taken sailing to get away from the liability and business/tax questions.

I have a private message awaiting me now regarding this manual business...hummmm.

skip.

skip1930

Sorry. I miss spoke. I shall not send off a copy of the manual.
Go buy it from Com-Pac and we all avoid the legal hassle that
I don't give a hoot about, but it's for the good of the pack.
"Gotta hate those legal eagles." They just make life impossible.

Thanks Salty.

skip.

MacGyver

I have to back out of my offer to do the same
I planned to pdf it for a copy on the boat that wasnt the original ( the made in america sticker is badass)

I do understand helping someone out (good intentions) but then the lawyers have their way with you.
The lightning groups books are the same way. I mentioned pdf and wow did i catch flack! But there i was just innocently saying for honest personal use.......and i meant personal use. Those books cost me 25 to 50 each and are too valuable to just leave with a lawyer or doctor.

This book being what it costs id just buy it. Its neat for reference at times.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

I picked up a Lightening Book with complete specs, rules, and class requirements with listings and standings of all skippers world wide at the library here in town...it was on the recycle table for anyone to grab.

skip.

Salty19

Thanks for your understanding guys.   One of bad things about being a moderator is sometimes you have to be the bad guy. I too loath the fact that we can't make a copy of something and send it of to a friend without profit. 

Again, if Hutchins grants their "express written consent to distribute"...we can post a link to it right in the FAQ section.  But we shouldn't assume they would, and frankly I can't see them saying yes.  You have to think that manual only cost $3 to produce. If I were them, I would be upset that their user community internet forum is taking away their opportunity to make a sale and "touch" a customer.

How it is replaced, as long as it is not being reproduced for resale or other commercial use usually is of no importance to the copywrite holder of the document.

Nope, without permission, exercising the copyholders exclusive rights is infringement. If they give permission, we're good. Often the holder will grant permission to copy for archive purposes (spare copy stored by and for the original purchaser) but distributing it is a problem, at least the US.

Someone go talk to Hutchins about it.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

By lightning i meant the medical books from when i joined the group for lightning strike victims.

I wish i meant the boats..........lmao

Copyright is a copyright.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

Quote from: Salty19 on August 25, 2012, 12:00:10 PM
Thanks for your understanding guys.   One of bad things about being a moderator is sometimes you have to be the bad guy. I too loath the fact that we can't make a copy of something and send it of to a friend without profit. 

Again, if Hutchins grants their "express written consent to distribute"...we can post a link to it right in the FAQ section.  But we shouldn't assume they would, and frankly I can't see them saying yes.  You have to think that manual only cost $3 to produce. If I were them, I would be upset that their user community internet forum is taking away their opportunity to make a sale and "touch" a customer.

How it is replaced, as long as it is not being reproduced for resale or other commercial use usually is of no importance to the copywrite holder of the document.

Nope, without permission, exercising the copyholders exclusive rights is infringement. If they give permission, we're good. Often the holder will grant permission to copy for archive purposes (spare copy stored by and for the original purchaser) but distributing it is a problem, at least the US.

Someone go talk to Hutchins about it.

What do you mean?  You're referencing Hutchin's and that's what the thread was about, but your statement about banning was all inclusive.  Do you mean that if I take an image or copy from public domain (and it will be copywrited, it all is) and use it in a post without getting permission from the copyholder I will be banned for life? I think you can go back in anyones posting history and find examples of that.

Read it.  I didn't say it could not be considered infringement, I stated it is usually of no importance to the copywrite holder.  Making woodworking machinery every piece of equipment had a manual.  Every manual had a part number and could be purchased.  However, every customer or tech service rep told them to get them as quickly as possible, from any online source possible, all of them free. It was product liability protection.  "Yes Jury, my client hurt himself with this product because he didn't have a manual even though one was sold with the unit and the company recovered their cost at that point, but they made it difficult for him to replace, so grant him this award for his injury......".  It was the same way in the oil and gas industry when I worked in it.

I'm confused and about to ban myself for life  ???