Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Finally, New owner of Eclipse #23, updated with pics 8/22

Started by Vectordirector, August 21, 2012, 11:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

"Are they bad enough to not sail the boat until fixed?"

The one I would want to look carefully at would be the first picture as it looks as if that may be below the waterline. If it is you want to watch that one carefully and ideally be sure it doesn't leak before heading out. If it is below the waterline look for any potential internal leaks and/or core problems.

The other crack on the transom I would check to make sure it hasn't allowed water (rain) into any part of the transom that may be cored with plywood. That could cause rot over time which would need to be dealt with.

Shawn 

MacGyver

Shawn has a point to a extent, I have to run to the doctor for my lightning issues, but I will be back aorund 8 at the latest and be able to post a decent reply as I look at those pics again.

Any idea what that blue green crap is?

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Glenn Basore

As to the cracks along the lip of the transom, I too had these cracks. I contacted Gerry and he assured me it was not structural only cosmedic. He even offered to fix it if I would bring it in, living in California, this was not an option.

I was able to do a simple fix by sanding, and putting some fiberglass cloth over it, sanding, primer and spray paint using Kryon paint. the paint was close to matching and is not noticeable unless looking for it.

Glenn

Vectordirector

Glenn, I saw your post and pics which is why I wasn't too concerned about the cracks and bought the boat.  I know that they may return, but I would like to have them repaired and painted.  The one below the waterline looks sealed up pretty good.  Mac, I was hoping you would know what that blue stuff is.  i'll call the seller and ask if he knows, but I doubt he had anything to do with it.  I'll take off one of the inspection plates and look at the inside of the transom and the bilge.  The photos posted are resized from the original 18 megapixel ones, closeups of these cracks if anyone wants to see them are available.  I'm still planning on splashing her this weekend if the weather looks ok.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Eagleye

Vector,
I too have the same cracks on my Eclipse...and it is still floating. :)
I fixed the companionway crack just by spreading it a bit and squishing in some epoxy then clamped it until it cured.  I'm considering making a SST channel to go over the threshold for more support and for esthetics.
Get her wet soon,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

MacGyver

Finally back from the doctor.

That blue stuff could be crack repair crap....... I call it crap repair for short. But it could also be a array of many other things.

I would go ahead a launch er! get that boat doing what it was meant to do. Repairs done over the winter.
I launched mine with bottom damage, and am not worried one bit, and it is in fresh water, where the supposed dreaded blistering happens at rapid speeds.

Here is the think, in that connection point those cracks would be cosmetic, and by using a "carbide burr bit" you can dremel it out and fill with a mixture of 105/205 and 404 to a creamy peanut butter consistancy and put it into the crack, lightly sand to match profile (Could clamp it if the spot was seperated and not following the "lines of the boat") and paint with a matching paint.

The epoxy repair must be covered in some kind of paint to avoid UV damage.

Junk that halyard, you will appreciate new lines, but buy good line from a marina or online place, I prefer "New England ropes"
Never use the Lowes and Home Depot crap, they are not rated like New England Ropes and also UV damages them quickly.
Some bleach and water soak on the current will help to clean it up some, but it will make it harder, not so nice when handling it......

With how long is left in the sailing season that bottom can wait also, besides, bottom repair is easier than one thinks if they want to do it themselves. And bottom work can be hidden under nice barrier coat and paint, no one will ever know. It will help by using the boat to diminish the current anti fouling paint as well so when you pull her out, pressure wash the hell out of the bottom to get as much of the paint off, but LEAVE THAT GRAY! That Gray is barrier coat, you want that unless it too is showing signs of failure, etc.

But from the looks of it you have a fine vessel indeed, Any questions feel free to ask anytime, and drop me emails if you want as well.

One those cracks, if you wanted to, fill with Life Caulk, not 4200, 5200, etc, just "Life Caulk". It is a good sealer, will dry when wetted with water, and also is very easy to pull back out or grind out later, as in a few months from now when you pull for winter.

Use a "DAMP RID" in the cabin, (Local Walmart has a tub in the RV section, 10 bucks, pulls the moisture out the the interior)

Hope that helps, I will be doing a ton of repair to my 19 this winter, and will be using my GoPro to make vids of all of it, and posting to my Youtube channel, hopefully that will help with making some of these repairs and save ya some money.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Vectordirector

Thanks Mac, I'll be looking forward to your videos.  Boat is all buffed up and looks amazing.  Pics soon. 
Quick question:  anyone have a pic of the tiller bolt, I can't seem to find it. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

skip1930

Those lines can be machined washed with laundry detergent and after a spin dry, drop them into the bath tub with some liquid fabric softener for a day and let dry outside. Then take an hour and untangle the mess. Nice lines are a joy. Of course the wife will be mad you up-cuffed her wash machine.

skip.

chas5131

Vectordirector

The paint compatability chart shows that trinidad would need to be completely removed before applying vc-17.  Sounded rather cost prohibitive as I thought it would need to be sanded off.  As you can see from the pics I posted last night, the trinidad was easily removed.  vc-17 is now a posibility, and from what I have read, an excellent choice for freshwater trailer sailing. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

carry-on

Well, today was not a sailing day in Pensacola, so I played around with photobucket and put a few pictures of my 16 in an album.
This is a trial to see if the pix will post. The location is http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q499/carry-on/?all:   
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

MacGyver

Vector,

VC-17 is good for trailer sailing to a extent. Might I suggest Interlux Micron CSC as a option, It doesnt loose its ability to shed the slime after being in the sun for any amount of time, and also doesnt cause issues in the future when changing paints like VC will.

That is what I plan to use.

The VC I am not a fan of either because of the copper.......... be cautious with that VC if you use it.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Vectordirector

Thanks Mac, I see your points.  There seems to be no lack of opinions on bottom paint!  I'll check out Micron CSC too. I seem to remember when I was on their forum that it was highly recommended for trailersailing.  Do you think I can just leave it as it is, or will the wear and tear of on and off the trailer tear up the barrier coat? 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold