a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Using the Majic-tilt trailer

Started by steve brown, October 05, 2005, 01:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

Having had a fairly successful first sailing season, I took my boat out of the water at the marina launch slip last Sunday. I have a Majic-Tilt trailer in very nice condition for its age (1982). The water was quite stirred up with sediment making it difficult to see the trailer bed during retrieval. I found it very difficult to judge where the keel was in relation tto the rollers. I was not using the tilt feature of the trailer as being not familiar with its operation. I finally got the boat on the trailer but managed to bend the pvc pipe guide supports when the keel came down on them. Possibly I had the trailer too deep in the water. What was I doing wrong and how does the tilt feature supposed to work. I have restored the guides as of this writing. Thanks again for all your help. Steve... 'Odina-Aurore' CP-19 no. 93  :?:

tsaiapex

Steve,

My trailer is a 2001 Perpfromance with tilt mechanism. I have not able to discover how the tilt feature would have helped in launching and retrieving a CP19 and do not recall any CP19 owners used it.  I think this has something to do with the fact that by the time a CP19 is aligned between the keel guide, it is already too far forward of the trailer to tilt.

Instead of PCV, I ran webbing strapes between the keel guide to the bunk support.  It does not crack like PCV and functions well to prevent keel from wondering.

Jeff Tsai
CP19, Mary Grace
Apex, NC

steve brown

Thanks Jeff. Did you use webbing such as truck tie down type and how did you anchor them to the keel guide and bunks? Steve