a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

30 amp service

Started by MacGyver, July 28, 2012, 08:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Does anyone have 30 amp electric service on their boat?
I cant seem to solve out whether i want to install it or not for dock electric on the boat.

Currently we run a cord to the boat and into the hatch but we plan to run the A.C and some other things this next week for CLR and that makes me think i should put in the bigger electric connection just so we couldnt possibly overheat the cord......

Any, thoughts
This would include a 50 foot 30 amp twist lock 120 volt cord and a connectio. Fitting for the boat
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Shawn

30 amps seems high for what you want and it will add to the overall cost for a galvanic isolator that can handle 30 amps.

I measured the load of a smaller air conditioner (around 6k BTUs) and it wasn't drawing more than 6 amps. Unless you plan on adding electric stove, electric water heater, refrigeration or an electric heater you really won't have any other high load items.

Shawn

Lafayette Bruce

I understand the temptation, but keeping it simple (and sticking with a standard extension cord) has real benefits.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

skip1930

30 amps at 110+ volts??
Holycow man. You want to fry something?

!2 volt/30 amp like on a car starter for a few seconds, but not at 120 volt.

Do your cyphering CAREFULLY.

skip.

MacGyver

Thanks guys.

Along with these answers and a boater here at the marina who i know extremely well I have been set straight again.

Looks like with the a/c and little doodads i plan to run i will be fine. If i add a coffee maker (which isnt going to happen) then i need to turn off the a/c and run it then turn a/c back on so only one high load is runni.g ata a time.

The boater asked me " you plan on running a arc welder in that boat?" And a good laugh for the both of us.

Thanks again guys! And i agree it is better to be simple!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

30 amp service on 110 volts (120) is very common. Uses 10 gauge wire.

These inside a boat are then  Y split to 2 15 amp circuits.
They also have 50 amp
So nothing to fry just ways to do it. Our standard is 30 amp here at West Access Marina. So i didnt want to do a 20 or a 50 plug because i would have to adapt.

So i will stick to extension cord for 15 amp GFCI setup (standard) to supplythe boat.

Again thanks for the responses!

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

I think the minimum made up shore power cord is 30 amps because the vast majority of marinas are set up with NEMA 30 dockside power.  I have a 25' 30 amp cord but I also have a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter so I can use either.  30 amps is just my service entrance, it powers an AC buss with four 15 amp breakers, one for my onboard charger, one for the GFIC outlet, one labeled water heater which I don't have and one labeled spare. Also has a main for the AC.

I think if you want to put in true marine components for your boat inlet socket and shore power cord, 30 amps may be the minimum available.

Shawn

Wow, that is quite the electrical panel. The panel and companionway on Serenity is very different. I didn't realize Compac changed that so much.

Shawn

brackish

Quote from: Shawn on July 28, 2012, 12:25:30 PM
Wow, that is quite the electrical panel. The panel and companionway on Serenity is very different. I didn't realize Compac changed that so much.

Shawn

That was one of the changes III to IV versions.  On the good side, it is a nice well organized panel that is easy to work from behind when you want to add items.  They left the room on the right for other stuff, I added the VHF and the stereo.  On the bad side, they dropped the height of the lower step limiting the size cooler that will go there because most coolers are too tall. 

I almost get the impression that panel is also used on the bigger ComPacs.  It is set up for six breakers and a main on the AC side.  Most 23s would never need that.  But on the larger boats with HVAC, water heater, galley fridge/freezer they might need them all.

Shawn

Interesting, on the 23/3 there is only the one step on the swing up panel. The DC only electrical panel is just four switches on a small panel and that entire space is probably not much taller than your VHF. When I added the pressure water system I had to build an auxiliary panel to fit next to it. Not really fun working up there but it is doable.

On the plus side under the swing up panel is two storage areas for galley equipment, space for the table and then quite a bit of storage below that. I have a Igloo Marine 36 cooler that fits really well (handles remounted front and rear) and a big storage 'cabinet' that fits over the bilge.

I think I have seen that panel in pictures of a 27 I was looking at.

Shawn

Tim Gardner

The minimum weather tight marine cord is 30 amps.  You can protect the boat electrical system with much smaller amperage circuit breakers to protect you onboard equipment.  I have a 10 amp shore power circuit breaker feeding my 30 amp receptacle on the dock.

But those nice big 10awg stranded wires on the 30 amp cord have absolutely no voltage drop over the 30 feet of cord.  Nice.

TG 
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

MacGyver

Marinco goes to 20 amp, but it isnt popular like the 30 is.

That was the only reason I was going to do the 30 is because we had all the stuff I needed in the store, but luckily I dont need any of that now.    :)

Mac   :P
-Alaine Gerbault.